Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What to do with methanol?
BenB

posted on 21/3/13 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Methanol is indeed very easily absorbed through the skin. Does terrible things for your blood pressure, vision and kidneys so best to be careful. And it burns without a visible flame...
scudderfish

posted on 21/3/13 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
And it burns without a visible flame...

I remember seeing a video of a car that was running on meths pulling into the pits because it was on fire and the driver leaping out and dancing around as he was burning as well, but there were no visible flames. Very scary stuff.

CNHSS1

posted on 21/3/13 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
buy a glow plug engined R/C car, add 15% castor and synth oil mix, 15% nitormethane and use it up that way ;-)

44,000rpm and 3hp from 3,5cc anyone?

(yes those figures are correct, used to work in the industry ;-) )

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

Bare

posted on 21/3/13 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Remember reading a test sequence of "octane boosters' .
Up shot was that DIY adding 5 to 10% Methanol to one's Gasoline was at least and more effective than off the shelf 'Octane Booster' additives.
Typical moderne/recent vehicles specify that 15% is max Meths allowable ..due to fuel system corrosion possibles.

coyoteboy

posted on 21/3/13 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Methanol is indeed very easily absorbed through the skin. Does terrible things for your blood pressure, vision and kidneys so best to be careful. And it burns without a visible flame...

I'm assuming that's with continuous and long term exposure though (or significant single intake), because the MSDS on methanol isn't particularly scary and doesn't mention such issues with skin contact.

I have also spent most of my weekends covered in the stuff with bare hands cleaning car/bike parts or using it as camping fuel (for which there are no special instructions regarding skin contact and spillage) and I've absolutely no ill effects that could be attributed to it. Hell, I've even messed around using it as fire breathing fluid. Stings your mouth like hell but had no other immediate effects of note, though reading the data on it it looks like I was very lucky!

Not that I'm suggesting purposeful exposure where not needed, but I think people panic over these things a bit too much.

[Edited on 21/3/13 by coyoteboy]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.