Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: let's play 'guess the engine failure'
smart51

posted on 23/12/12 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Found out it is this recall. The action was to replace the big end shells. They lasted 3 weeks. I'm guessing it will be hard for them to duck this one.

Vehicle Details
Reference : R/2012/129
Manufacturer Ref : MQM
Make: CITROEN
Model : C1,C3 Pluriel, C3 II, C3, DS3 and Nemo
Launch Date : 14/11/2012
Numbers Involved : 1169
Build Start Date : 26/05/2010
Build End Date : 26/08/2010
Recall Details
Concern : ENGINE MAY FAIL
Description : It has been established that the con-rod (big end) shell bearings may not have been manufactured to specification. This could lead to premature deterioration of the shells and if not identified, then engine failure could result.
Remedial Action : Recall all affected and replace con-rod shell bearings.

smart51

posted on 4/1/13 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Spoke to the repair centre today. A con rod has snapped punching a hole in the block. He said the recall was to fit oversize big end shells to make up for an undersize crank. Citroen have told him to measure the crank, which he will do this afternoon. It looks like they've fitted the oversize shells to an engine that didn't need them and one of them siezed, causing the con rod to snap.

coyoteboy

posted on 4/1/13 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Ouch.
snakebelly

posted on 4/1/13 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
on the plus side that will be a free new engine then if there is any justice!
britishtrident

posted on 4/1/13 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
Spoke to the repair centre today. A con rod has snapped punching a hole in the block. He said the recall was to fit oversize big end shells to make up for an undersize crank. Citroen have told him to measure the crank, which he will do this afternoon. It looks like they've fitted the oversize shells to an engine that didn't need them and one of them siezed, causing the con rod to snap.

And nobody had a though to try turning it over by hand before sending it out of the door...

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

smart51

posted on 4/1/13 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:

And nobody had a though to try turning it over by hand before sending it out of the door...

We'd driven it for 3 weeks after the original work was done, but the day it broke was the fist time it had been driven on the motorway. Thankfully it didn't let go on the M42.

perksy

posted on 5/1/13 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
So they fitted new shells and didn't measure the crank and check for ovality, nor did they check the bearing clearance

You were probably very lucky it lasted as long as it did, Not your problem its theirs, New engine please

MikeRJ

posted on 5/1/13 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Incompetent work done by a main dealer, how surprising! (Not)

Lets hope they are capable of fitting a new engine without messing things up.

quote:
We'd driven it for 3 weeks after the original work was done, but the day it broke was the fist time it had been driven on the motorway. Thankfully it didn't let go on the M42.

An engine can be physically difficult to turn over due to binding bearings etc. but can still appear to run ok (though will be down on power).

[Edited on 5/1/13 by MikeRJ]

smart51

posted on 11/1/13 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Citroen have agreed to pay for the repair, which includes the lower half of the engine case. The parts are on their way. I'd have thought it a fine balance, replacing the parts and paying someone to rebuild vs the OEM cost of a new engine. It must only be slightly cheaper to repair.

[Edited on 11-1-2013 by smart51]

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2753
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 11/1/13 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CRAIGR
Rod through the side of the block.

Where do i claim my prize

sdh2903

posted on 11/1/13 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
if it were me, I wouldn't be happy with that. I'd be pushing for a new engine. look what happened the last time they opened it up. Plus if there are any further problems post rebuild it will be a minefield of who's responsible.

You have them bang to rights, new engine please!

MikeRJ

posted on 11/1/13 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Citroen have agreed to pay for the repair, which includes the lower half of the engine case. The parts are on their way. I'd have thought it a fine balance, replacing the parts and paying someone to rebuild vs the OEM cost of a new engine. It must only be slightly cheaper to repair.

They obviously won't be repairing the bottom end, it will be a new short engine.

sdh2903

posted on 11/1/13 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
The op says includes new engine case, implies they are rebuilding rather than replacing the short motor.

britishtrident

posted on 12/1/13 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Lawyer's letter required you are entitled to a FULL BRAND NEW ENGINE fitted by another dealer as the existing dealer has proven to be not capable of doing major engine work.

[/I]

perksy

posted on 12/1/13 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
I'd of thought from a labour cost point of view it would be better for them to fit a complete new engine ?

I'd be very twitchy if the same garage were going to rebuild only the bottom end.

They might even let one of the Apprentices on it for some practice

britishtrident

posted on 12/1/13 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

[Edited on 11-1-2013 by smart51]

You are not to blame they damaged your car responsibility is shared between the manufacturer and the dealer, the manufacturer ordered the work and the dealer was incompetent.

They are patching up the engine ----- go to a lawyer and demand either a a full new factory engine + compensation or they pay you a very decent sum to buy the car off you.

[Edited on 12/1/13 by britishtrident]

[/I]

MikeRJ

posted on 12/1/13 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
The op says includes new engine case, implies they are rebuilding rather than replacing the short motor.

That simply wouldn't be viable, it's got a broken con rod from a seized big end so crank will be scrap as well. By the time they price up the numerous parts and main dealer labour rates to put it together a new short engine will be much cheaper.

snakebelly

posted on 12/1/13 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure it's not just the dealer doing the work off his own back to avoid involving the manufacturer and the subsequent embarrassment? As already stated I would definitely push for at least a full factory recon unit with a stated warranty, are they going to change the oil pump or reuse the old one? Are they replacing all the rods and pistons or just the broken one? It's a minefield for you should something else let go in say 3 months time, you can bet your house on them denying at that stage any responsibility.
coyoteboy

posted on 12/1/13 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
TBH if they did that to mine I'd rather have a guaranteed used engine than a partially rebuilt one (but I don't trust other people rebuilding car bits).
smart51

posted on 17/1/13 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Well, good news / bad news. The good news is they can't get parts to fix the old engine so they've been authorised to replace with a brand new engine. Bad news: they can't get one of those either. They were promised one for the 18th (tomorrow) but have been told it ain't coming for at least a week. Meanwhile, their curtesy car is keeping the miles down on our car.

owelly

posted on 17/1/13 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Good result. Hope the courtesy car is a nice one. ;-)

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 17/1/13 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
They have effectively deprived you of the car by ruining the engine, you should demand some compensation or they keep the car and give you the full retail value of the car and compensation.

[/I]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.