Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: So I wanna build a batmobile....
owelly

posted on 14/3/13 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
My advice, for what it's worth, is for you to build us a scale model of what you want. 1:4 scale would give you an idea of what you're taking on. Do that then come back and show us.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
meathead316

posted on 14/3/13 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
I agree that a too simple type wont teach me as much as something a little more involved and will bear this in mind. As for what ready built car to buy, how about the opposite, what NOT to buy and what to look out for. Ive seen some cheap ones on ebay (a dutton i think...) that looked like they could be fun to have a play with.

Also with kit cars am i right in thinking that you can not have a personalised plate on it?

Krismc

posted on 15/3/13 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Batman tot rod' kitcar' hot rod' go-cart' fibreglass toy car' custom' collectors | eBay

This is what you need matey.

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

meathead316

posted on 16/3/13 at 03:32 AM Reply With Quote
Lol i have seen that already, is pretty cool, but too small.

Just wondering, what is the average wheelbase and track of a kit car?

Fred W B

posted on 16/3/13 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
Im interested just how you intend to build the bodywork? In my opinion getting the mechanical bits sorted on a project like this is an absolute doddle compared to producing some bodywork that looks good, and you seem to be coming from a long way back.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

meathead316

posted on 16/3/13 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Bodywork is simple compared to mechanics, its just cosmetic stuff (yes it has to be secure) and thats easy. Takes a lot of time to get right though, but it pays off.

As for the exact "how" i plan on gettin the mechanical side sorted, then building a metal frame that mounts to it, then on this frame build a batmobile shell. Starting with cardboard then covering the whole thing in glass matt and resin, finish with filler and paint. Pretty simple, but takes ages...

Anyone got wheelbase and track measurements?

owelly

posted on 16/3/13 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
I which case, you'd be better off doing as previously suggested, and start with a wagon chassis. Cardboard, fibreglass and filler will be heavy.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
trextr7monkey

posted on 16/3/13 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
I have watched this thread with interest but it seems that so many0 basic0questions are coming through that the batmobile should be a long way down the list. - am by no means an expert but hav owned worked on and run about 19 kit cars over the years and have a job where - work with my hands in well equipped workshops and wouldnkt dream of taking on such a venture without planning it thoroughly. Lots of the questions here could be answered by buying a basic book on kit cars.
The glass fibre on cardboard body work I cankt wait to see, having tried a few small projects myself the only result has been increased respect for thgose wworking with the stuff professionally.
Sorry to dampen the party but - can' t see this working
(B
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

Fred W B

posted on 16/3/13 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Have you done anything like this before? Seems you must have as you seem to think it not a big deal to whip up a body using your technique.

The answers to most of your questions will be on this site, for example:

wheelbase

track

We await developments with interest.

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 16/3/13 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.