Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pre-IVA photos (pic heavy)
Sloan85

posted on 28/8/13 at 05:15 AM Reply With Quote
Pre-IVA photos (pic heavy)

Well, after 10 months of building it's IVA time next week, so I am posting the obligatory "pre-IVA photos" in the hope of people spotting any mistakes or things I've forgotten to do.

The only jobs that I believe I have left are to fit the rear reflectors, install a secondary fixing to the mushrooms at the front and install the under dash tray on passenger side to hide killswitch (will do just before test)

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

http://mkindygsxr.blogspot.co.uk

renetom

posted on 28/8/13 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
Hi
Looks great
The only things I could see was pedals need anti slip or rubbers
Exhaust clamp, turn bolt so as to be between car & silencer.
we had the same on ours but he let us alter it during the test.
Good luck.
René

Jimfin

posted on 28/8/13 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
Looks really good and all the usual defects have been attended to - you must have spent ages reading all the threads on this site! Well that's what I did and it paid off. The only observation I have - and it is nothing to do with the IVA - the battery cables look "untidy" compared to the rest of the build, did you have a different battery when you planned the cable runs?
adithorp

posted on 28/8/13 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
Very nice! Can't see a lot wrong there.

Only bit that stands out is the exhaust clamp for edges. Can you turn it so they'renot contactable?
Do you have the required brake fluid label? Think I can see it but not sure.
VIN number on chassis OK? In a main tube or seam welded plate?
Seat belt achorages look OK. Are they higher than the holes in the seat? (hard to tellin pictures)

I think the pedals have anti slip on them.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

loggyboy

posted on 28/8/13 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
Might not matter, but the rear fog switch is pointing the same way as the headlights. Arguably could cause confusion?

Rest if it looks spot on, a very tidy build, not sold on the colour though!

Mistral Motorsport

Carbonman

posted on 28/8/13 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like a really nice build, particularly liking the colour and the little "U" clamps either side of the toggle switches
One thing I did see are the cable tie "blocks" on the headlight mounts are on top and I don't think they meet the radius requirements, rotating them round to the underneath should do the trick.

Carbon Copies Ltd

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Smoking Frog

posted on 28/8/13 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Does the battery's negative terminal need a cover? Big achievement in ten months BTW looks good. Good luck for the IVA.
Sloan85

posted on 28/8/13 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the comments. Looks like a couple of small jobs to sort before next week. In response to all questions.....

Clutch and brake pedals - Have skateboard tape on so will be ok.

Exhaust clamp - good spot, I'll get that turned round a bit.

Battery cables - I had planned to turn battery round, shorten and swap cables to tidy that but i forgot. I'll try to do that at the weekend.

Brake fluid sticker - yup, got that stuck to the bulkhead next to the brake fluid reservoir

VIN plate - I fully welded that at the weekend. Worst welding in the world ever probably but at least it's done.

Harness anchors - when pulled horizontally, the harnesses do not contact the seats

Fog light switch - not sure about this one. It will be a pain to strip down to turn it round - anyone else know if this will be a problem?

Cable ties on light brackets - tested these, they can't be contacted with 100mm sphere.

Battery negative cover - again not sure about this, can anyone else confirm if this is required?

Cheers

Jenko

posted on 28/8/13 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Looks fantastic...love the colour too.

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

adithorp

posted on 28/8/13 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
I doubt the foglight switch is an issue. Never seen anything about it. I Think all symbols face right on tin-tops from (poor) memory.

Don't think battery neg cover is a requirement. in-top's don't all have them and it can't short anywhere anymore than any bit of chassis can.

Is the info on your VIN/manufacurer plate OK? Think I saw someone on here fail for too much info recently.

loggyboy

posted on 28/8/13 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sloan85

Fog light switch - not sure about this one. It will be a pain to strip down to turn it round - anyone else know if this will be a problem?

Battery negative cover - again not sure about this, can anyone else confirm if this is required?

The other option is to get a small label saying rear fog, means it can be removed post IVA but ensures he wont feel it could cause confusion. It could be the tester feels it could be for front fogs (even if you dont have them, you have to assume that the car is being driven by someone unfamilar with the car itself). Whilst the front fog symbol is slightly different to the rear fog, (the beams are angled down on the front logo), it still very similar.

You may be ok as the wording for the indentification of controls and pictogram section states:

Note 3: Tables A and B are for guidance only any method of identification or colours may be used providing this would cause no confusion to the driver.

Also the picto gram actually show the headlights the other way (pointing left), but as above, these are guidance only.

Whilst were on the subject of rear fogs, have you wired a buzzer or a system to switch the light off when dipped are switched untill the fog is purposefully switched back on. - as discussed here - http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=184366

As for the battery, there is no specfic requirement, but this could apply :
8. All electrical components must be secure be of adequate capacity and insulated as required as to prevent short circuiting during operation.

As with a lot of the more ambiguous requirements, its all down to interpretation.

Mistral Motorsport

loggyboy

posted on 28/8/13 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
I doubt the foglight switch is an issue. Never seen anything about it. I Think all symbols face right on tin-tops from (poor) memory.

I do agree its quite likely it wont be an issue, but car symbols will always show the rear fog poniting the other way from the general front lights, even if no front fog is fitted.

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mJ1Nr1l-GFtdVJDAeoY4QYQ.jpg

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx327/vauxhallpartsuk/parts/CIMG8007-1.jpg

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mO8OM2TZ8kQgj9CBmLcYP8Q.jpg

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mj6Tzz5VcdnwRaFdx2pPMQg.jpg

[Edited on 28-8-13 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

carlknight1982

posted on 28/8/13 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Looks good

liking the color too;

Description
Description

Logic will get you from a A to B
Imagination will take you everywhere.

ReMan

posted on 28/8/13 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Looks a great quality build in a relatively short time. Notyhing to add ottehr than good luck
Hope to see it on the road soon

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

gremlin1234

posted on 28/8/13 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
looks very nice,

a couple of questions,

are the front side lights / position lamps in the head lights? - and do they meet the viewing angles (80degrees out and 45 in)

where the roll bar goes though the rear deck, might be improved with some edging.

loggyboy

posted on 28/8/13 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Just checked pics and re-read this - No a negative cover is definately not required, and would be comepletely pointless as the hole chassis and engine casing is negative! I thought the comment was about a positive cover, which it clearly already has!

[Edited on 28-8-13 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

deezee

posted on 28/8/13 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
I know that any covers need to be removable and replaced for working on the car. So heat shrink can be frowned upon on the top wishbone ball joint as it can't be replaced at the garage if they work on your car.

Sloan85

posted on 28/8/13 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deezee
I know that any covers need to be removable and replaced for working on the car. So heat shrink can be frowned upon on the top wishbone ball joint as it can't be replaced at the garage if they work on your car.

Is that enough to fail an IVA? I have used a self amalgamating rubber strip that could be undone I suppose.

Cheers

Sloan85

posted on 28/8/13 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
On that subject, I have covered top ball joint nut, is the actual ball joint ok without anything covering it?

Cheers

serieslandy

posted on 28/8/13 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
I couldn't see anything that hasn't already been addressed.

Where did you get your headlights from as that's what I've been looking for?
Very tidy build btw especially in 10months

loggyboy

posted on 28/8/13 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by serieslandy
I couldn't see anything that hasn't already been addressed.

Where did you get your headlights from as that's what I've been looking for?
Very tidy build btw especially in 10months

They are Dominators, try Russbost on here.

Mistral Motorsport

SteveWallace

posted on 28/8/13 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
On that subject, I have covered top ball joint nut, is the actual ball joint ok without anything covering it?

Cheers

I saw someone fail IVA on this very point a few weeks ago. If the radius ball can contact the upper ball joint, it will fail (although this may be tester specific). I have put rubber gaiters off a BMW wiring loom on mine - free issue from the local scrappy and for the lock nut I used a drilled through rubber walking stick ferrule - a few pence on e-bay. Since taking the picture I have also covered the other nut

Description
Description

Description
Description

adithorp

posted on 28/8/13 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure I agree about the covers having to be removable for maintenance. Plenty of failures documented because coverings weren't deemed permanent.

Have you checked the beam pattern on the head lamps. There's been a few cases of lamps that dipped the wrong way being sold.

doobrychat

posted on 28/8/13 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Sloan.. thanks for the sump....

build looks great.. if you want some little stickers for the iva like fog lights etc then let me know as i made a few for mine... i didn't even see the radius tool at my iva as he could tell whether it was right or not which really frustrated me after sweating so much over the build..

but clear labelling to avoid confusion will show attention to detail..

let me know if you need anything

Sloan85

posted on 29/8/13 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
I'm not sure I agree about the covers having to be removable for maintenance. Plenty of failures documented because coverings weren't deemed permanent.

Have you checked the beam pattern on the head lamps. There's been a few cases of lamps that dipped the wrong way being sold.

Nope, I have not done anything about the headlamps yet. Any advice on what I need to do to ensure they are right?

Cheers

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.