Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine won't turn now.
emwmarine

posted on 5/10/13 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Engine won't turn now.

My zetec engine had been turning freely after I spent a while putting new big ends in. It then spent about 3 months sat on the dry garage floor whilst I worked on making the alternator bracket and other bits of the rush. Just put the flywheel back on and bolted a gearbox on, with the next step being to trial fit it in the rush to start making engine mounts.

However I also bolted up the crank front pulley and realised that the crank isn't spinning. I didn't force it but it was able to resist the torque of tightening up the crank pulley bolt without moving

I don't want to have to strip it down again. Any suggestions? Lots of oil down the bores?

Building a Dax Rush.

big-vee-twin

posted on 5/10/13 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Return it back to how it was when it was turning and try again, before doing anything drastic.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

steve m

posted on 5/10/13 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
possibly the wrong gearbox? but as said, take it back a bit, remove the gearbox, and does it turn over ?

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

mccsp

posted on 5/10/13 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Did you use the original flywheel bolts? I fitted an aftermarket flywheel and had the exact same issue as you. Bolts were too long and fouled the sump, so wouldn't move!

Previous suggestion of returning to original state is a good idea!

Why do it the easy way, when I can do things my way!

britishtrident

posted on 5/10/13 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
If the crank turned after you installed the bearings and you haven massively mistimed the cams it sounds like the piston rings are rusted in the bores
First thing is take the spark plugs out and soak some Plugs Gas down the bores, put the plugs back in and leave it for a few days, then pull the plugs back out and put some WD40 down the bore let it soak and put a socket and power bar on the crank bolt. Without using massive force but try to turn the crank backwards then forwards several times you may have to do this for a very long time (spread over a few days) but eventually you will get a mm or so's movement on the bar, then it quite quickly start to free off.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

emwmarine

posted on 5/10/13 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mccsp
Did you use the original flywheel bolts? I fitted an aftermarket flywheel and had the exact same issue as you. Bolts were too long and fouled the sump, so wouldn't move!

Previous suggestion of returning to original state is a good idea!

This could be it, fitted a lighter 1.8 focus flywheel and the mondeo bolts from ebay looked very long.

Building a Dax Rush.

big_wasa

As said if you have fitted a non oem flywheel and used the standard bolts that would stop it turning. Have you changed anything with the sump ?
emwmarine

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
If the crank turned after you installed the bearings and you haven massively mistimed the cams it sounds like the piston rings are rusted in the bores
First thing is take the spark plugs out and soak some Plugs Gas down the bores, put the plugs back in and leave it for a few days, then pull the plugs back out and put some WD40 down the bore let it soak and put a socket and power bar on the crank bolt. Without using massive force but try to turn the crank backwards then forwards several times you may have to do this for a very long time (spread over a few days) but eventually you will get a mm or so's movement on the bar, then it quite quickly start to free off.

Will tae the flywheel off then if it still doesnt move will try this.

Building a Dax Rush.

big_wasa

posted on 5/10/13 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
The 1.8 bolts are the same as the 2.0 black and silver tops, the auto ones are way shorter.

If you have fitted ones from say an st170 with a dual mass flywheel they are way longer.

Have you got a link to the ones you bought ?

emwmarine

posted on 5/10/13 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
The 1.8 bolts are the same as the 2.0 black and silver tops, the auto ones are way shorter.

If you have fitted ones from say an st170 with a dual mass flywheel they are way longer.

Have you got a link to the ones you bought ?

This is the item number. 320849034696

Building a Dax Rush.

Dusty

posted on 5/10/13 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Too long flywheel bolts is a common zetec problem.
big_wasa

posted on 5/10/13 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
There is your problem then.

The mk3 mondeo was never fitted with the zetec. It was launched with the duratec.

They are duratec fly wheel bolts. And dual mass at that.

[Edited on 5/10/13 by big_wasa]

emwmarine

posted on 5/10/13 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
There is your problem then.

The mk3 mondeo was never fitted with the zetec. It was launched with the duratec.

They are duratec fly wheel bolts. And dual mass at that.

[Edited on 5/10/13 by big_wasa]

At least it locked the crank so I could do up the pulley. Better get new bolts!

Building a Dax Rush.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.