Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gas alternative?
dhutch

posted on 6/11/13 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Always thought it would be interesting to do the sums on a large lpg tank verse a large oil tank.
- Most of the houses around my parents are on oil, and probably have been for decades.
- But yet the local chicken farm, about 10 years old, runs a large lpg tank and gas heaters.

My parents house is electric underfloor night storage, on economy 7, bolstered for the coldest fort night of the year with a coal fire. The house was designed for it from the out, with the required seriously thick floor, 3 inch cavity walls, etc and at t time when night-rate elec was one of the cheaper forms of energy.

Daniel

Not Anumber

posted on 6/11/13 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Log burner with a heat exchanger plumbed into the (normally oil fired) central heating. Fit with a stainless/Copex flue and burn as many free palletts as you can collect. = free heat

Stuff the gas and electricity companies!

MikeRJ

posted on 6/11/13 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
you don't want wood, you want coal, much better for burning.

Absolute bollocks, coal does produce more heat than wood but the hassle factor is not worth it. The soot from coal is an oily black mess which ineveitably ends up smeared on walls and carpets

Burning wood produces a horrible sticky black tar. My grandparents had a wood burning Rayburn and I can remember having to clear out the flue on a regular basis which was a horrible job. Wood burns cooler than coal, so condensates in the flue are always a bigger problem with wood.

Direct solar heating (i.e. heating hot water directly rather and producing electricity) is definitely worthwhile in the summer, a friend of mine had a panel installed on his roof and it supplies all his hot water needs during summer, and can still provide a significant contribution spring and autumn.

[Edited on 6/11/13 by MikeRJ]

Bluemoon

posted on 6/11/13 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Not read the above, but my experience of Economy 7 heating is a good one.

Southern electric run a three tariff meter reading system, (i.e. day night rate pluss storage heating rate) this worked out cheaper for us at the time. In a modern well insulated house correctly set up we found the storage heaters cheaper than gas...
If you use the storage heaters on boost or like it hot in the morning/afternoon or it's poorly insulated it could work out expensive. I would suck-it and see..

A lot of the houses on our estate have gas to the house but very few have bothered fitting gas appliances or the meter as it just works out to expensive to add central heating, the electric is just fine.

Dan

[Edited on 6/11/13 by Bluemoon]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.