Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: advice needed :-)
richard thomas

posted on 28/12/13 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by atm92484
I put an engine block heater on my Cherokee last winter and did the same thing with a timer. The kit had a small heating element that took the place of one of the engine block freeze plugs. I know it wasn't nearly as powerful as what you are running but the coolant would be warm even in the middle of winter. After driving for a minute or two, the temperature was able to come up enough to where I had heat.

A similar kit isn't available for your car?

I haven't seen one, but I am sure that it would be possible to knock something up similar :-)

I might even bite the bullet and buy one of these - would save the arsing around and get the missus a bit warmer quicker
Hate the fact that I didn't make it myself, indeed contravenes everything I intended to do at the start of this thread, but it would appear a lot simpler....? Anyone with any experience of them?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Engine-Pre-Heater-240v-/190803451934?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c6cc5a01e

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Engine-Block-Pre-Heater-220-240v-by-AutoHeat-hot-start-guaranteed-/111245674298?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19e6c 2473a

UncleFista

posted on 28/12/13 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richard thomas

Nice one.

I'll certainly have a look at that price. The only reason I was put off was the prices on ebay. Looks like they can be rigged to preheat whilst the car isn't running.

Quick question, do those units have an internal fuel pump or will they run with diesel that it gravity fed? I understand that the Disco has a working fuel pressure that is very high, however thinking that there is no reason why the fuel return line shouldn't be able to feed a small collector tank which could feed the unit. Don't suppose you know how much fuel they burn over, say, 30 minutes?

Cheers, Rich.

One of the setups I sold including fitting by myself for £150, I could have charged £300 in the depths of winter. eBay prices are silly.

I have mine set up with a remote so I can switch it on from my kitchen, 20 minutes and it's as hot as if it's been on a run.
I soon replaced the original remote and switch for one with a timer after I'd forgotten and drained the battery

They won't work with gravity fed fuel, they need the original dosing pump. On the Rover they're under the sill at the rear near the tank. If you find one be careful with it, they rust away and are expensive to replace. They receive a signal from the heater which decides on flow rate.

People have set up small tanks in the boot so they can run on red diesel.

Fuel use, a mate tested his, from -3 to running temperature it used 250ml of red diesel.

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

richard thomas

posted on 28/12/13 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UncleFista
quote:
Originally posted by richard thomas

Nice one.

I'll certainly have a look at that price. The only reason I was put off was the prices on ebay. Looks like they can be rigged to preheat whilst the car isn't running.

Quick question, do those units have an internal fuel pump or will they run with diesel that it gravity fed? I understand that the Disco has a working fuel pressure that is very high, however thinking that there is no reason why the fuel return line shouldn't be able to feed a small collector tank which could feed the unit. Don't suppose you know how much fuel they burn over, say, 30 minutes?

Cheers, Rich.

One of the setups I sold including fitting by myself for £150, I could have charged £300 in the depths of winter. eBay prices are silly.

I have mine set up with a remote so I can switch it on from my kitchen, 20 minutes and it's as hot as if it's been on a run.
I soon replaced the original remote and switch for one with a timer after I'd forgotten and drained the battery

They won't work with gravity fed fuel, they need the original dosing pump. On the Rover they're under the sill at the rear near the tank. If you find one be careful with it, they rust away and are expensive to replace. They receive a signal from the heater which decides on flow rate.

People have set up small tanks in the boot so they can run on red diesel.

Fuel use, a mate tested his, from -3 to running temperature it used 250ml of red diesel.

Thanks for that, I'm trying to track down a Rover now...although many cars have them I am assuming that there will be less call for Rover parts so might be cheaper.....

UncleFista

posted on 28/12/13 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
If you're looking in person, the heater is situated in front of the battery box.

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

richard thomas

posted on 28/12/13 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Brilliant!! :-) I don't suppose you have a wiring diagram or similar?
scimjim

posted on 28/12/13 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Engine-Block-Pre-Heater-220-240v-by-AutoHeat-hot-start-guaranteed-/111245674298?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=it em19e6c2473a

a friend fitted one of these and after testing at different ambient temps/durations has concluded that it's a waste of time and money!!

richard thomas

posted on 28/12/13 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scimjim
quote:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Engine-Block-Pre-Heater-220-240v-by-AutoHeat-hot-start-guaranteed-/111245674298?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=it em19e6c2473a

a friend fitted one of these and after testing at different ambient temps/durations has concluded that it's a waste of time and money!!

That's off the list then!!!

richard thomas

posted on 6/1/14 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Made, fitted, works :-) cost me £40....and some bits and pieces I had laying around.....
richard thomas

posted on 6/1/14 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Made, fitted, works :-) cost me £40....and some bits and pieces I had laying around.....
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.