Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: "How to" OEM Focus ST170 ecu with Pats info.
Pigsy

posted on 2/7/18 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
I watched an item on youtube. They mentioned it frequently. Its on USA 2.4 svt's. Ive not had a complete car so didn't know if it was necessary.
Pigsy

posted on 2/7/18 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
And the Ford Vacuum Solenoid Valve Intake Manifold Runner Control 4M5G-9J559-NB? Is this necessary?
big_wasa

posted on 2/7/18 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
If its what I think you mean then the st170 doesn't have one. Although it's badged as a Duratec it is a Zetec.

What your referring to looks to operate the swirl flaps on a Duratec.

There is a canister purge solenoid. This vents the fuel vapour from the tank, into the charcoal canister then via the solenoid into the inlet manifold.

With out it, it will give a fault code in the ecu. This may or may not affect performance.

You can unclip the canister from the solenoid and just plug it in. You could replicate the load with resistors. You could ignore it and see how you get on.

I've done all three and the first option is the easiest.

Pigsy

posted on 2/7/18 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Do you mean just plug the solenoid in? Or the canister without the solenoid?
With the diagnostic link connector, I have:
Pin two, grey/red wire,
Pin 4, black wire,
Pin 5, black/orange wire,
Pin 7, white/black wire,
Pin 10, blue/red,
Pin 13, black/orange,
Pin 16, orange wire.

If:
ECU pin 13 modal prog requires orange/black, do I connect to either pin 5 or 13 or both?
ECU pin 15 blue/black is scp-, which colour is for scp + ECU pin 16?
ECU pin 49, blue/red is can- from plug pin 10,and
ECU pin50, grey/red is can+ from plug pin 2, that is only 5 wires of 7 connected.
Are the 2 other wires used? If so where?
Sorry for so many questions. Just want to get it right.

I just have to fit the O2 sensors now having extended their leads about 30" and the OBDB2. Without these I'm getting a slow flash from the led, but when I activate the switched 12v with ignition, it just flashes very quickly. there was no fuel pump sound either. Your thoughts would help me as to me it could be caused by so many things like the lack of the solenoid or the canister, so please help me a little more. I still wish I had your knowledge.

big_wasa

posted on 2/7/18 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Starting with the Immobilizer.

You don’t need anything engine related to operate or test it.

Just the lives and the earths, the four wires to the antenna and the two wires to the led.

big_wasa

posted on 2/7/18 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
The solenoid just unclips from the canister purge valve. Just plug it in and the ecu is happy. On that front any way. The ecu can tell the circuit is live and drawing current and that’s why it could be replaced with a dummy load.
big_wasa

posted on 2/7/18 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
I am not sure what you mean by the rest.

There will be other wires in the dlc for other non engine diagnostics

Pigsy

posted on 2/7/18 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
I have the canister with the two pin connector to the top. I did not know what it was!! Tried googling the numbers with no info supplied. I gather the solenoid connection must be near the inlet manifold. Which bit of loom if you know please?
Pigsy

posted on 2/7/18 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info. Do I need to add chassis earths to the ecu. The brown is common. Does it connect the the car body or engine in anyway, or is it just in the loom.
big_wasa

posted on 2/7/18 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
It sits on the bulkhead and connects to the inlet manifold with a hard plastic pipe. And another pipe to the fuel tank. The plug will be on the engine bay / fuse box loom.

This is one circuit you could come back to.

big_wasa

posted on 2/7/18 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
The common brown is shared with the sensors it does Not go to chassis earth.

There are four black / yellow wires that go to earth. They can go to the same point. There is. Fith Black / red earth that’s meant to go to a separate earth but for testing it can go to the same place as the others.

Pigsy

posted on 2/7/18 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers
FamilyGuy

posted on 3/7/18 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Just reading previous post on Evap canister and hoping I haven't thrown mine away :/

I want to test my ecu immobiliser, as in your video, but I'm unsure about one of the wires (pin 2) on the PATS receiver plug, is this just an earth. I have other connections as below.

Pin 1 - 7.5A fused +12v
Pin 2 - bk/ye wire. Is this an earth
Pin 3 - ecu 19
Pin 4 - ecu 53

big_wasa

posted on 3/7/18 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Yes chassis earth. If connecting it to the steering column make sure it's got a good earth and isn't isolated by bushes.
Pigsy

posted on 3/7/18 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
I have sussed out the fuel pump, at least, it primes when ignition is on. I have practically everything connected already, and so to just do the connection from your video to get the flashing led right will take forever to disconnect everything and then reconnect it all. Without ignition on it flashes slowly. with it on very quickly. My obdb2 sensor is about 5 years old. Is it up to the job? With connecting it (with the correct port wires fitted) it scans all the details but just cuts out and restarts when I try to test for faults. Any ideas why?
Pigsy

posted on 3/7/18 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
For OBD2 read DLC
big_wasa

posted on 3/7/18 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
I have three obd2 tools one is around five years old one is well over that and they all do the basics just fine.

The light flashing quickly when powering up is the immobilizer being triggered.

It's very low power and is sensitive to position.

Power or earth fault to the antenna.

Power or earth fault to the ecu.

Send and receive the wrong way around.

You don't have to strip the loom down the point was the other circuits or lack off won't affect the immobilizer working or not.

Some times when the immobilizer is triggered and there is no fault ie the key was not close enough then you may have to disconnect from the battery to clear it.

[Edited on 3/7/18 by big_wasa]

big_wasa

posted on 3/7/18 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
To add one point. you havnt purchased a flashing led have you ? It should be a plain led with around a 600 ohm resistor pre wired ( depending on colour).
Pigsy

posted on 3/7/18 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Ahaaa. It may be. I think I have some others that do not. It has a slow rhythmic flash until ignition is on. then it goes very quickly.

I have connected the O2 sensors now as well. They are the same pre and post cat on this car year.

The reader can tell if the engine is cranking at 250rpm so I guess the crank sensor works.(No spark though). It reads inlet temp and coolant temp. It reads others that make no sense to me with my limited knowledge.But, the reader still just switches off if I press enter to check for faults.

The pump is priming. I have used as much of the standard loom as possible and feel that I have not connected something like chassis earths properly. Should I take all the earth pins from the ecu (apart from brown) and ground them as well? Perhaps the common brown is broken somewhere.

I have connected all the inputs to the ecu where you have indicated from the pats, the fuel system, the key setup etc. Actually have you any other diagrams of the key and ring setup with colour codes, in case I have it wrong.

Is this the time to strip down the loom to see if all the correct wires are connected from the sensors to the ecu? Should I just remove the unnecessary wires?

I am making a fundamental error and its frustrating. Is there any way of checking the ecu itself just in case this is the problem? It may have been blown and sold as good.The car it came from was running in limp mode and had a fault, though I cannot find out what it was. The breaker did not mention this. I found out on thnet using its registration number which I insisted on having.

big_wasa

posted on 3/7/18 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
The brown is shared amongst sensors and does not go any where near chassis earth.

The five earth go to the chassis, or for testing direct to the battery negative.

You have the memory live that is always live.

You have two switched lives that become live when the ignition is turned to run.

From memory the power supply for the antenna is also a switched live.

The power supply for the DLC can be either.

You would be hard pressed to find an St170 that wasn’t in limp home mode. Two most common faults are the Imrc and the O2 sensor. There is loads of info on the net on how to fix the Imrc.
The o2 sensors have unique plugs for pre and post, pre is green post is blue. The cheap chinease o2 sensors will plug into both so I guess you could use what ever you have as long as you get them the correct way around.

big_wasa

posted on 3/7/18 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote

big_wasa

posted on 3/7/18 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Sort the Immobilizer before going forward. It won’t start with out it working.
Pigsy

posted on 3/7/18 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your help. The sketch looks helpful too. I will have another go at it tomorrow.. thankfully I have the day off.
big_wasa

posted on 4/7/18 at 05:07 AM Reply With Quote
Remember to use the pin numbers from the guide not the sketch although the Rs is probably the same anyway.

Pin 1 is the one nearest the release clip on the antenna plug.

Pigsy

posted on 4/7/18 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hi. Replaced the LED and still the same problem. I rewired it completely and it made no difference. The penny then dropped and I realised that I had been splicing the connections in to the wires leading to the ECU from the engine loom, so I un-spliced them and just connected the wires from the pats module to the ECU without the wires leading off into the engine loom as they had been. Bingo, the light behaved well as it should, BUT, still no spark.

I then tried to do the same with all the other wires that I have patched into the loom (DLC, fuel pump, 12v+ to the ECU, etc). Do these connections need to carry on into the engine loom from the ECU?

I also opened up the loom corrugated protection to see if anything was not right. The wire to the coil live feed (pin 2) went nowhere, so I fitted a switched live. Still no spark. Then I noticed that somewhere along the line the led started its old tricks of the fast flashing. This is in the car cockpit and the engine loom with ECU is under the bonnet. Ive now managed to get the ECU into the passengers footwell and it will fit under the dashboard.

Also, a wire from the knock sensor went nowhere as well as one from the IMRC. I will trace all the wires and work them back to their correct connections on the ECU. It will be next week now.

Sorry to be a pain in the backside, but your help is invaluable. If you can see that Ive made another boob please just say. Thanks mate.

<<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.