Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: And a sports car is born!!
Gremlin

posted on 6/10/02 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
And a sports car is born!!

I was at a friends house the other night and caught the end of a program on sky called "and a sports car was born" or something similar and they were steping through putting together a locost. It was a pre bought kit and didnt catch which but it showed you how to do everthing from chassis through to brakes etc etc.

Has anyone else seen it and does anyone know if i can get it on video anywhere?

There was also and advert for "And a helecopter was born" where the same man looks like he will put together and fly a helicopter kit!

Humm buggered if he hasent put thet together quite right quite a long way down!

Thanks in advance!

locodude

posted on 6/10/02 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Do you mean 'A Westfield is bolted together from a large box of brand new parts, no expense spared'. If so I saw it as well. The only bits worth watching are the track and car reviews. If I ever see that smarmy unfunny get in the flesh I'm going to punch his f**king lights out! A good program spoiled in my opinion!
Chris PTM

Highcost builder

posted on 6/10/02 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
not to impressed then chris?
stephen_gusterson

posted on 6/10/02 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
from the tiny bit i have seen of that prog, im not too far off your opinion - seeing how to bolt brand new stuff together is basically mechanno and NOT building a locost.

atb

steve

locodude

posted on 6/10/02 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
No I wasn't really impressed. This series of progs has gone from bad to worse since Mark Evans decided he was 'funny'. Our very own Mr Chris Gibbs puts it best when refering to Caterhams and Westies, f**king cheque book sevens. Home built my arse! Throw £15,000 into a garage leave it for a fortnight and out pops a car. If you've seen the program tell me how many of us have access to the manufacturers workshops on a week by week basis, not many I think. Also his range of 'basic workshop tools' beggars belief! A little bit unrealistic to say the least.
The PTM

johnston

posted on 6/10/02 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
i heard that there's gonna be a new book coming out soon

"how to build a sports car from a box of pre supplied brand new parts for a blank cheque"

johnston

posted on 6/10/02 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
sorry got that wrong its actually called the caterham build manual
chrisg

posted on 6/10/02 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Spot on PTM, set of tossers, and as for that Evans bloke - funny as a hole in a lifeboat.

And how come bits keeping apperaring on the car without him attaching them? you don't think...........gulp.........someones doing it for him?

Cheers

The Locost ambassador to chequebookseven land

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Peteff

posted on 6/10/02 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
The man's a vet and they set him on building machines. What's wrong with him, isn't he good enough for a cookery programme?. He gets to do a bit of gardening sometimes as well doesn't he?. Somebody must like him,
f*%k knows why. If they give him enough money he might go away eventually, we can always hope. Driven's coming back on soon and that's another programme spoilt by an annoying prat. I hate television just lately.

yours, Pete

stephen_gusterson

posted on 6/10/02 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
gardening , we can always hope. Driven's coming back on soon and that's another programme spoilt by an annoying prat. I hate television just lately.

yours, Pete

which one of the several annoying prats do you mean?

I call that program 'Drivel'.

Anyway, its really interesting cos they do those special car tests, like which one of the cars on test can keep a jelly on its roof whilst jumping through a hoop whilst the driver is having sex.

things i always wondered about, but were never in the specs.

atb

steve

Gremlin

posted on 12/10/02 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like its not worth chasing up then. Only sore about 15 minutes so didnt have time to decide how bad it was just thought it may have helped but by the sounds of it probably not! i have more like 15 quid to spend on mine not 15K.

Oh well back to the drawing board!

bsilly

posted on 13/10/02 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
i think mr evans is funny. its not his fault that he got everything brand spankin new, inside his heated 60x30 workshop with compressor buzzing away in the background. and all built and finnished in 8 days. im seeing a doctor in the morning

mainly digger drivin me

bob

posted on 13/10/02 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
If i had those chairs i'd get even less done

Jasper

posted on 14/10/02 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
Annoying twat yes, cheque book 7 yes, but I still got plenty useful little tips from it: Fettling bits for GRP, never hear of them b4, bought a set for £5 from screwfix, they're excellent, and countersuck poprivets, would never even new they existed ...

So for us complete novices to the world of home built cars there is a few little gems spread amongst the endless new parts and inane banter.

He should have gone the BEC route though and not just another Zetec machine....

theconrodkid

posted on 14/10/02 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
anyone got it on video i can borrow,im in need of a larf
bob

posted on 14/10/02 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Yep i'll drop it over at weekend

theconrodkid

posted on 14/10/02 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
cheres dude,ill be werkin sat am,kipping pm,boating sun am,kipping pm,take your pick
Liam

posted on 20/10/02 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Last night I saw a kind of omnibus of 'A race car is born' - and I have to say I thought it was quite interesting. Must have been the end of the series cos his W***field was finished and the whole programs were about trying out different types of motorsport - I saw a trackday at Donny, autotest (which looks totally awesome), hillclimbing and a W**field championship race. And in all of this the guy wasn't too bad considering he hasn't done it before (or so he says), and I thought he was reasonably funny too (should I get me coat?).

But like others have alluded to - the money they throw at that thing is rediculous, and the build information is undetailed to say the least - "Now we have to fit an FIA approved ignition cut off switch that also isolates the fuel pump. Drill a hole in the scuttle and in it goes!" seems they fit themselves into your cars wiring loom! Similarly funny was how easy it apparently is to swap all your instrumentation for a £3000+ SPA datalogging Micro dash - again just plugs in! Assuming the westy kit was about 12 grand, they probably put about 30 grand total into that thing putting racing bits and split rim alloys on it, and sending that geezer racing, not to mention the support truck, racecar engineer etc etc. Not exactly within the reach of the man in the street.

But still, even people who put a factory kit together deserve a tiny bit of respect - I mean most people wouldn't do that even if they had the money. And lets face it, how many of us would already be on the road in a Cat***am, Dax R**h etc if we weren't so poor/tight?

Anyway, dunno why I'm defending the guy - I HAVE seen him on gardening programs. So I'll stop.

Liam

[Edited on 20/10/02 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bob

posted on 20/10/02 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
The hill climb looked good buti cant get my head around auto tests,it all looked a bit sad to me.A bit like the bloke on the telly with a motor go cart trying to spin it 180degrees and burst baloons with a pin in its arse,i think prog was called you bet.
Probably the sadest piece of television i've ever seen IMO

Spyderman

posted on 21/10/02 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
ME. Should have done a damn site better in the racing after all the tuition he had whilst building his "A Car is Born" Cobra.

When he was at Donnington they asked him if he had done anything like it before and he said "NO". Bloody Liar!

How come the throttle spring problem only showed itself when hillclimbing and not when he was road testing it?
Got no bottle!

As he knew he would be taking it racing, why did he build it with a screen on?
Pointless expense to me and certainly not necessary for SVA.
Same for fuel tank!

They never got that expensive data logger kit working properly. I suppose the next episode had there been one would have been at the manufacturers getting it sorted.
Mind you they spent at least half a day at Rocckingham to get it sorted. That must have cost a fortune!

Good show really

Terry

phil m

posted on 24/10/02 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Saw the last programme
After reading these posts I now fee less inadequate and more self satisfied and smug as I've gone down the book route.

Makes me feel that SKY is for cheque book Charlies --wait a minute ----I'm a sports fan --that's why I(we) have it

--Phill

paulbeyer

posted on 25/10/02 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Annoying twat yes, cheque book 7 yes, but I still got plenty useful little tips from it: Fettling bits for GRP, never hear of them b4, bought a set for £5 from screwfix, they're excellent, and countersuck poprivets, would never even new they existed ...

Hey Jasper,

I missed the programs covering these bits, so, what the hell are fettling bits (what page no. of Screwfix catalogue) and what about countersunk pop rivets? I can guess what they are I suppose but do you have any more details?

kingr

posted on 28/10/02 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
If you think this program was expensive, you should see the others : A car is reborn I seem to recall the total figure reached around the £80000 mark, for a Jag E type!! And the Heli was about £85000 straight off without avionics, workshop space, professional help (when the divvie drilled the hole in the undercarriage too big and tempered the metal) training to fly, testing the thing.

The only one that was cheaper was a car is born which he built a cobra (pilgrim sumo, ughh) for about £15000 I seem to remember, he aimed for £10000 but decided to put a 5.5 litre Chevy V8 in rather than a 2 litre pinto (would have thought that would be a no brainer) which obviously cranked the price up. I haven't seen all of a car is born, but the bits I have seen seem to be less of him pratting around and more about him actually building the thing, I think it gets progressively worse as the series' go on, so you can expect a motorbike is born to be absolutely unbearable.

donut

posted on 30/10/02 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Dear points of view..

Well..... i don't care what anyone say's. i loved 'A racing car is born' and i found it very usefull as well as entertaining.

My guess is that Westfield built 2 cars, one which they converted a fair bit and one to go racing in the Westfiels championship race in france. If you look at the car ride hight at the french race meet you will see that it's a damn sight closer to the ground and thay have swapped the coil over shocks as the springs are red and not the orig black that was put on. Also there are no side pannels in the cockpit.

Many people seem to be missing the point regarding the build. It is only to get the thing up and running so they can then show you how to convert it slowly to race spec. I found the build to be quite useful but it did miss bit's that i would have liked to have seen.

Ok that's my 2p worth

Captain Syngeon Radclif Retiered (Mrs)

oh yes very Monty Python!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ijohnston99

posted on 30/10/02 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
He does state at one point when his mechanic is setting the car up for the track, that it's a hassle using multiple cars as they have to keep changing settings.

Wish I had his problem!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.