Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Another hot start problem
r1_pete

posted on 27/7/14 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
A bigger battery would help, as would a high torque starter but neither are fixing the fault. Back the cranking advance off. If it fixes the problem, job done.

and zero cost......

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Sierra

posted on 27/7/14 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Very true, unfortunately I don't have a laptop with the right port.
Reading a lot of posts on this forum it seems a lot of people have had to change to a high torque starter.

r1_pete

posted on 27/7/14 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
What do you need a Serial Port?? if so, a USB to Serial adapter based on the Prolific or FTDI chipset will do the job, the cheapo adapters don't seem to work with engine management systems.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 27/7/14 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sierra
Very true, unfortunately I don't have a laptop with the right port.
Reading a lot of posts on this forum it seems a lot of people have had to change to a high torque starter.

That may be because they ask on here about poor hot starting and get two answers; Retard the ignition from experienced mechanics and put a bigger starter on from others. They then ignore one option.

If you ask how to remove something and some people give you a detailed step by step guide and someone else says get a bigger hammer, which would you do?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Sierra

posted on 27/7/14 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Haha well put. I'm going to give it a go a set it to 0' and see what happens
Sierra

posted on 30/7/14 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Quick update, I phoned omex on advice on the cranking advance and they explained that the engine isint turning over enough for the ecu to even begin to work. I don't really understand any of it but I went and bought an edge high torque starter and so far so good.

Next step is to take it to the rolling road for a tune up. Options so far are
Power engineering
TTS performance
Northampton motorsport

r1_pete

posted on 31/7/14 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
Wow thats some statement from Omex, if the ECU isn't working at cranking speed what is firing the injectors, and sparks??

The ECU has a set of parameters it uses at cranking speed to start the engine, and even before cranking starts e.g. fuel pump prime, you have been seriously mis informed.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.