Author: Subject: vehicle new road tax procedure
The Black Flash

posted on 31/8/14 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by The Black Flash
But how will they know???
Buy car, drive home, it's still taxed so won't show up on any system anywhere, nor will anyone know that it's been sold until you tell the DVLA. So unless you get physically stopped and they check the owner, I can't see how they'd possibly know?

What if the previous owner phones the automated service to make sure he gets as much refund as possible? Or if you buy it off a garage (who are unlikely to keep cars taxed)?

I'll take the odds on the first one, so will a great many people I expect. Especially since, knowing govt IT, there'll probably be a 24 hour delay before the system updates anyway . If you buy from a dealer then they normally arrange the tax for you anyway so that won't change.
Utterly bonkers idea which will, as usual, make trouble for normal people just going about their life. Why they can't put a 24 hour exemption in for the purposes of buying and selling I don't know.

owelly

posted on 31/8/14 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
For me, I'll risk driving a vehicle without tax for a day or two. I'll just make sure I have the documents with me and tax the vehicle to cover the vehicle from when I bought the car. Much like I'd do now... If I bought a car on the 12th of the month, I wouldn't panic about getting it taxed before I drove it home or even dash home to do it online straight away. By the time plod has reported me to DVLA and they have got their arses moving, it would be taxed. If they want to take me to court to argue about the exact time I paid my tax bill then fine. They can. But I'd have paid for the excise duty by the time the letter dropped on my door mat. As far as I know, not having valid VED is still a civil offence rather than a motoring one?

Incidentally the quotes previously regarding informing the DVLA via the interweb, or by phone:
I read it as you can use the V5 and the internet OR phone. You can't use the V5 via snail-mail.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigfoot4616

posted on 31/8/14 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:
Originally posted by bigfoot4616
where does it say you have to do it by phone, i wont be wasting a phone call on them when the documents will need sending anyway.

check online a car is taxed before you go to view, then you know it will still be taxed on the system for the drive home.

its a risk i would happily take.

Pretty clear in the quote I've already put up on page 2, incase you didn't see it its below

Taken from the Gov website: 

Buying a vehicle 
From 1 October, when you buy a vehicle, the vehicle tax will no longer be transferred with the vehicle. You will need to get new vehicle tax before you can use the vehicle. 

You can tax the vehicle using the New Keeper Supplement (V5C/2) part of the vehicle registration certificate (V5C) online or by using our automated phone service - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

i take that to be just about taxing the vehicle, not notifying change of keeper.

this thread has just reminded me, i better tax my van tonight.

[Edited on 31/8/14 by bigfoot4616]

CosKev3

posted on 31/8/14 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
No.the above is all related to selling/buying a car, not retaxing.

quote:
Originally posted by owelly
For me, I'll risk driving a vehicle without tax for a day or two. I'll just make sure I have the documents with me and tax the vehicle to cover the vehicle from when I bought the car. Much like I'd do now... If I bought a car on the 12th of the month, I wouldn't panic about getting it taxed before I drove it home or even dash home to do it online straight away. By the time plod has reported me to DVLA and they have got their arses moving, it would be taxed. If they want to take me to court to argue about the exact time I paid my tax bill then fine. They can. But I'd have paid for the excise duty by the time the letter dropped on my door mat. As far as I know, not having valid VED is still a civil offence rather than a motoring one?

Incidentally the quotes previously regarding informing the DVLA via the interweb, or by phone:
I read it as you can use the V5 and the internet OR phone. You can't use the V5 via snail-mail.

I risked driving a car 8 miles with no tax, got pulled, car seized.
Tried to fight it in court and ended up costing me £700 by time I had paid fines/release fee for car etc.

owelly

posted on 31/8/14 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I risked driving a car 8 miles with no tax, got pulled, car seized.

I'd flash my ample breasts and get let off......

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigfoot4616

posted on 31/8/14 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

where does it state that though, your quote above only mentions taxing a car.

CosKev3

posted on 31/8/14 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfoot4616
quote:

where does it state that though, your quote above only mentions taxing a car.

specsavers?

bigfoot4616

posted on 31/8/14 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
as it happens i do need to get my eyes looked at, starting to struggle close up

still can't see where it says you must go online/phone to notify change of keeper. that's just what your meant to do when you buy a vehicle to tax it.

the quote further up the page just says you have to notify them, not how you do it.

anyway i don't have the internet or phone so it will have to be post

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.