Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MX-5 6 speed gearbox does it replace type 9?
johnH20

posted on 16/11/14 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Ugg 10, Where did you get your 45 kg for a Mazda 5 speed? As above I weighed mine at 34 kg, I don't believe my bathroom scales are that far out! Also used Mazda 5 speeds are as cheap as chips due to the number of MX5s being broken due to rust. Anything more than £100 and you are being robbed.
Fcck2000

posted on 16/11/14 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Mk3 MX5 ;-)

Tiger SSC
220bhp on standard MZR Duratec engine with throttle bodies and mild camshaft upgrade.

Sam_68

posted on 16/11/14 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Furyous
I'm pretty sure the 6 speed has a bigger housing, and it weighs more. But the gears are shorter and the final drive is pretty much the same as the 5 speed.

I can confirm that the Mazda 6-speed is a big beast... much heavier and bulkier than the Mazda 5-speed. I've not weighed one, but I can say that it's groin-strainingly heavy compared to the 5 speed.

Also plenty bulky enough to cause problems with the tunnel width on a car that's not been designed for it.

Here are CAD drawings of the two boxes, for comparison (6 speed is at the top in both instances):

Fcck2000

posted on 16/11/14 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
excellent thanks for posting those. 5 speed looking like the most practical option

Tiger SSC
220bhp on standard MZR Duratec engine with throttle bodies and mild camshaft upgrade.

snakebelly

posted on 16/11/14 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
Were just putting a Mazda 5 speed in our Supercharged Duratec Tiger GTA, it didn't slot straight in but apart from some lateral thinking re the gearbox mount it went in ok. It does end up slightly canted but everything I have heard seems to be that that's fine. As others have said the cost was a big factor as we only paid £89 for a 5 speed out of a 38k crash damaged car and it looked like new! We bought a complete flywheel and clutch package from retro Ford but even paying for that, the box and a new slave cylinder and starter we had change out of £700. And if we break it then for another £100 ish ill happily keep a spare box under the workbench!
HTH

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.