Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blacktop supercharge project avon
Sierra

posted on 23/12/14 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Blacktop supercharge project avon

Good evening fellow kit car builders.
I currently have a tiger avon with a blacktop engine and m45 supercharger.
Over the next few months I want to take on an exciting project to upgrade a few bits including adding a larger m62 supercharger and front mount intercooler.
Although I'm willing to give most things a go, I have never welded before and this is where I require some assistance.
It's a bit of a long shot but wanted to ask if there's anyone that does some private work, evening/weekends or can weld and is willing to help me in this project. Or can recommend a garage that can do the work.
The areas where I will need help are
-cutting, extending and welding an inlet plenum that I bought to a different angle, roughly 45 degrees so it allows the charger to sit below.
-make and weld brackets to hold the charger in place
-inlet and outlet for charger, I currently have blank plates that cover the inlet and outlet.

Old setup with m45 bolted straight to custom inlet.

All stripped out

Where I want the m62 to sit (brackets need making)

Examples of inlet/outlet that I need

Example of a bracket made to hd the charger

Inlet that I have purchased. (Needs cutting, 4 tubes extended and angled at roughly 45 degrees)

Rough idea of how the inlet should be angled

Intercooler that I will purchase

The only other question would be, do I fit the tb to the plenum after the charger and use a recirculating dump valve which is connected back to before the charger
Or
Fit the tb before the charger like they do on the mx5's. Why do they have the inlet connected to the outlet like that though?

mark chandler

posted on 23/12/14 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Putting a tube like that on the outlet of the charger will kill power, you need to make up a curved cone leading into the pipe towards the intercooler, also the charger throws air towards the wide end of the V, so whoever manufactured the earlier photos that would have done better by putting the tube towards the nose, the last one looks pretty good.

That aside if you fit up all the parts I can have a go at welding it together for you, I am about 1 hour away down the M4.

Regards Mark

[Edited on 23/12/14 by mark chandler]

Sierra

posted on 23/12/14 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks for your advice and offer. I'll see if I can get bits together but I'm very new to this so might need help
So something like this would be better?

mark chandler

posted on 23/12/14 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
That's ugly but better than the flat plate/tube affairs, imagine how the air would flow so if you provided a nice curve from vertical to horizontal then you are onto a winner so turn the air not bounce it off a 45 degree plate, use the side profile of the mandrel bend sculptured into the 3" pipe.

Also remember the V is the exhaust port, not the square plate which is designed for mounting stuff easily.

Regards Mark

flak monkey

posted on 24/12/14 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Shouldn't be that difficult to make a fabricated outlet for the blower. Maybe take half a day to do something to suit.

A log type inlet would be easy too.

Ref your question about the inlet connected to the outlet, see that black valve in the pipe? It's a BOV that prevents boost spikes when the throttle plate is closed. You only need that if the throttle plates are AFTER the blower. If the throttle body is BEFORE the blower you don't need one.

[Edited on 24/12/14 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

coozer

posted on 24/12/14 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
I have one of them intercooler with the little angle bracket cut off. Apart from that brand new never used with the pipes and clips.

Want it?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Sierra

posted on 24/12/14 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
I thought it was for that reason but got a bit confused as I could see the tb before the blower. Turns out they are running 2 tbs which is why they have the dv. Although I was told that the vdw should go after the intercooler and before the tb which it seems isint the case with that one.
Are these things that you can fabricate then or know of someone that can?

quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Shouldn't be that difficult to make a fabricated outlet for the blower. Maybe take half a day to do something to suit.

A log type inlet would be easy too.

Ref your question about the inlet connected to the outlet, see that black valve in the pipe? It's a BOV that prevents boost spikes when the throttle plate is closed. You only need that if the throttle plates are AFTER the blower. If the throttle body is BEFORE the blower you don't need one.

flak monkey

posted on 24/12/14 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
If you can give me reasonable sketches of what you need I can look at the fabrication work for you if you need someone to do it for you.

Good practice puts the BOV as close to the throttle plates as possible, so yes, normally after the intercooler. This was my set up.

Sera

Sierra

posted on 24/12/14 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Wow that looks very nice, what setup is that and figures produced
flak monkey

posted on 24/12/14 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
2 litre Duratec - the build of it is in the stickies at the top of this section

Rotrex blower, 290bhp/240lbft @ 9psi - engine was built to take more. Simple change of pulley would allow peak boost of over 15psi.

Sera

jeffw

posted on 24/12/14 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
There was probable another 100-150BHP in Flak's engine. If you think mine is running 1.2 Bar or nigh on twice the boost as Flak's setup using the same supercharger.

[Edited on 24/12/14 by jeffw]

Sierra

posted on 24/12/14 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Very impressive setups, both of yours.
I would love a rotrex but really don't have the money for one. I'm trying to re build mine at the best price possible, plus it'll be a bit of fun

Sierra

posted on 24/12/14 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
I'll try and get some rough sketches together with measurements. I take it your DVD wasn't recirculating or is it just not visible in the pic?

quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
2 litre Duratec - the build of it is in the stickies at the top of this section

Rotrex blower, 290bhp/240lbft @ 9psi - engine was built to take more. Simple change of pulley would allow peak boost of over 15psi.

mark chandler

posted on 24/12/14 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
The eaton will not match those figures, it's a displacement charger so not as efficient, even with the same boost level it will be dragging HP off the front pulley to spin it.

Saying that my DB7 has a M90, I like it 3.2 litre pushing 385bhp with over 300lb/ft above 2000rpm peaking to 370 lb/ft, not great figures per cc but older technology running around 12 psi.

power run
power run

Makes a great noise

http://youtu.be/v4OfO40D72w

[Edited on 24/12/14 by mark chandler]

Sierra

posted on 24/12/14 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Oh yes definitely not expecting figures anywhere near that. Just want to upgrade so I'm not pushing the charger to its limits like I would be with the m45 and this time have cooling with the intercooler.
Don't have a clue what the figures will be but that's part of the fun

jeffw

posted on 25/12/14 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sierra
I'll try and get some rough sketches together with measurements. I take it your DVD wasn't recirculating or is it just not visible in the pic?

The DV is between the intercooler and the inlet (the shiny thing in front of the engine). Mine is off the plenum itself. You can do this with recirc valves but it is probable better to have a 'To Air' DV as it will keep the inlet temps down a bit more than a recirc one.

mark chandler

posted on 25/12/14 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
You do not have a DV with an eaton, just the bypass valve as during low throttle openings it does not pressure the system.
Sierra

posted on 2/1/15 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
I had a spare but of time today so I test fitted the inlet that I bought a whole ago, just to see how it fits.

As you can see it is horizontal from the block so sits very low down. For me to be able to fit the charger underneath I need the plenum to sit much higher up.
Do you guys think it would be best to cut the 4 ports straight just after the injector holes, then get someone to weld extended tubes at a 45 degree angle. Or. Buy a new different inlet or have one made?

I also played with different positions for the charger again.
Outlet facing down

Charger side on

jwhatley

posted on 2/1/15 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
Good to see you are still fighting on with this project.

In my experience with these chargers as mentioned before, they are a pretty good heat pump, so keeping them and the charge air cool is a must.

I wouldn't use a BOV on this type of charger, dumping the boost to atmosphere sounds cool to some people, but the problem with doing this with these chargers is the risk of belt slippage. I found that when using a BOV as a trial when the throttle was re opened and the BOV closed the boost spike cause the belt to slip due to compressor stall. Not an issue on the likes of rotrex or vortec chargers as the puppy diameter is approx 25-30mm larger.

I would suggest using a diverter/recirc valve and the TB's post charger. Have ithe diverter connected from the plenum back to the inlet of the charger. I say this purely for cooling of the charger and the charge air. With the TB's closed or at partial throttle when driving you want to keep the air flow running through the charger to cool it internally, using the intercooler also to cool the air and then port it back to the charger inlet to be re used. If you have an efficient I/C this will work really well.

John

Sierra

posted on 2/1/15 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info. I'm a bit confused when you say the diverter/ recirc at the plenum, do you mean after the tb.
I was going to fit the tb to the plenum so after charger and fit the recirc after the intercooler but before the tb. Recirc connected back to charger inlet (between air filter and charger)

jwhatley

posted on 3/1/15 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Yes that's what I meant. I don't know why but I seemed to think you were going to use ITB's.

Sierra

posted on 7/1/15 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
Just a quick question guys.
What way does the crank pulley turn?
Just came to me if I will be turning the charger the correct way. The m62 needs to turn anti clockwise.

flak monkey

posted on 8/1/15 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
All engines, with a few exceptions of Hondas and early Citroens, all turn clockwise viewed on the front of the crank shaft (i.e. looking at the front of the engine). Or CCW viewed from the flywheel end.

Sera

Sierra

posted on 8/1/15 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Many thanks. Sorry I was having a bit of a blonde moment, when putting the rotors back in the casing I put them the wrong way making the charger ccw. Now it's all correct it's cw like the engine
Sierra

posted on 8/1/15 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Does anyone know what metal the griffin inlet plenum is made of? And where I could get inlet ports to extend the standard ones?

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.