Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MegaBlade battery not holding charge
MegaBladeMatt

posted on 14/3/15 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
MegaBlade battery not holding charge

After fitting a new battery, one run out in the car and the battery is flat again.

It seems a good chance the rectifier/regulator could be the fault, I will be checking the alternator tomorrow using a multi metre.

Has anyone ordered a direct fit replacement with extra cooling fins? I have read that some of the uprated ones need modification which I would rather avoid if possible.

The below thread recommends using a CB250 super dream item which seems cheaper than the other item listed below, any suggestions on which I should go for?

Not worried about the price difference just want something that should hopefully last.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=161626

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200844852458?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190710245411?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Cheers,
Matt

[Edited on 14/3/15 by MegaBladeMatt]

bigfoot4616

posted on 14/3/15 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
im fairly certain the one i had fitted when i had a blade engine was the super dream one. dont know how old it was but it had bits missing from a couple of the fins and was still working fine when i swapped to a R1 engine 4 years after getting the car.
i'm guessing it was a genuine one so i have know idea on the quality of aftermarket ones.

MegaBladeMatt

posted on 14/3/15 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
There are some original ones on ebay, I am trying to find a wiring diagram as think the super dream ones may need a 12v feed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271442690030?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

bigfoot4616

posted on 14/3/15 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
its 6 years since i rewired the car originally so cant remember how mine was wired, i think the green wire just joined one of the others, either the red or black.
very vague memory's so not much help to you really.

MegaBladeMatt

posted on 14/3/15 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks anyway, hopefully someone with more recent experience can shed some light on it.
Mole-UK

posted on 15/3/15 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
I'm looking into changing the rectifier on my blade engined car as I think it may be breaking down... voltages upto around 15.4v, but I believe the battery is also well on its way so I plan to just overhaul the lot.

I've just found this on here which shows which wires are which on the superdream rectifier...
Description
Description

bigfoot4616

posted on 15/3/15 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
as the green appears to be an earth must of been the black and red that where joined on mine.
MegaBladeMatt

posted on 16/3/15 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
This is my rectifier currently, the engine was installed at AB performance so assuming this is what they fit. It is under the passenger side dash on a large ali plate.

guessing when rewiring the two outputs on a new rectifier will be one for red and one for green.

[img][/img]

MegaBladeMatt

posted on 17/3/15 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
The new rectifier I have just has two outputs, am I ok to just connect both reds in the above photo to the positive output and both green wires to the negative/earth output??
MegaBladeMatt

posted on 28/3/15 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
After fitting a new R1 rectifier, Gutted to find I am still only getting 12v at the battery.

Any advice on how to check my stator?

Thanks,

Matt

Mole-UK

posted on 28/3/15 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Using a multimeter on the resistance setting, test across each of the 3 wires as shown on this picture:

They should all be around the same resistance.

Then check between each wire from the stator and earth, all readings should be open circuit/infinite resistance, if any of the readings whilst testing to earth are low, then the stator has started to short out.

MegaBladeMatt

posted on 28/3/15 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info mate I will try this out tomorrow!
MegaBladeMatt

posted on 17/4/15 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Just to update this thread, in the hope it may help anyone with simialr issues in the future.

After chnaging the rectifier and still having the issue, I ran a new live from the rectfier to the battery and now charging perfectly.

Seems there is a fault in the old live wire somewhere.

Easy fix shame I didn't try that first!

Thanks for all the help.

Matt

britishtrident

posted on 17/4/15 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MegaBladeMatt
Just to update this thread, in the hope it may help anyone with simialr issues in the future.

After chnaging the rectifier and still having the issue, I ran a new live from the rectfier to the battery and now charging perfectly.

Seems there is a fault in the old live wire somewhere.

Easy fix shame I didn't try that first!

Thanks for all the help.

Matt

Doh!!! How many time have I thought that, So many blind alleys too little time !

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.