Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wiring switch for Switched earth
ste

posted on 17/11/16 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Therefore it will not work in a switched earth setup, unless you can strip the switch down and reverse the polarity of the led and then give it a 12v feed where it would normally be earthed.
tims31

posted on 18/11/16 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by tims31

I dont know what you mean by 'you get 12 V - that is the supply you need to switch using your led switch for a relay to switch the fog lamp'?

Aplogies, i didnt spot your reply.
So 3 pins, that makes more sense.

The above, i thought fog lamp is only allowed to be on when main lights are on, it cannot be switched independently. If not, ignore that comment.

There've lots of replies, you still needing help or have sorted it?

Hi and thanks for all the replies,

Having spent an hour or so on the phone today with Turnipfarmer (Thanks David) it appears that when my loom was made by PWS it has been wired to comply with the IVA spec of the fog light working only when the Main lights are on. This is done by only providing power to Pin 86and 30 on the Fog light relay once the main lights are switched on.

What appears to haave caused the confusion is that Pin 87 from the fog light relay then has two wires that run from this to the fog light itself and also one to the warning light for the dashboard each with its own earth and the actual switching of the relay is done via the earth on Pin 85 which is where I was trying to put my switch but convention seems to be the switch should be on the wire from pin 87.

Pin 85 from the relay runs to the switch and the other side of the switch then goes to the wire that links across teh top of the Sierra switch gear.

Short of unwrapping the loom to run the pin 87 wires to my switch then the only other method without rerouting lots of wires would be to use another relay to do this switching and that relay switched via the switch with the LED in - hopefully that makes some sense.

Unless of course someone has any other ideas????

I will try and do a diagram of how it is currently wired when I get a chance

[Edited on 18/11/16 by tims31]

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.