Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Acewell speedo magnet orientation
craigdiver

posted on 6/1/18 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Acewell speedo magnet orientation

Acewell dash speedo

I have a 7659 acewell dash and am currently building my drive shafts and have drilled a shallow 8mm hole to locate the magnet. Question is the magnet has a red line on one side and a blue spot on the other, which should face the sensor (and do I presume correctly that mounting the magnet on metal won’t affect its effectiveness?)

Thanks

Craig

If it ain't broken, fix it anyway (just because).

Building - BMW powered Haynes Roadster/442E hybrid.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

russbost

posted on 6/1/18 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
They are usually mounted with the blue spot as the mounting face, but it actually makes no difference at all, it is a magnet & makes no difference which pole is facing the reed switch, it relies on magnetism not polarity of magnet. The essential thing is to ensure that whatever you are glueing it to is absolutely spotless, degrease with something like acetone, thinners or meths NOT something oily like petrol, paraffin or turps, attach with araldite, JB weld or similar

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
tims31

posted on 6/1/18 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Mine never had any markings on but I mounted mine on the drive shaft can, filed the surface down slightly to key the surface and then surrounded it with Araldite leaving a small amount over the top just to hold secure.

Been on for 600 miles with no issues so far

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

craigdiver

posted on 6/1/18 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
great, thank you

If it ain't broken, fix it anyway (just because).

Building - BMW powered Haynes Roadster/442E hybrid.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

snowy2

posted on 7/1/18 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
it is better to mount the magnets all the same polarity if you use more than one magnet.... if its only one magnet than it doesn't matter.

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.