Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sump plug oil temp yes or no?
pigeondave

posted on 26/1/21 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
You can't over-cool if you have a stat? OK that's a slight simplification, but for anything close in size you can't. The stat will open when it's the right temp, and close when it's cooled below it, averaging out at the right flow through to give the right temp. If your rad over-cooled, the stat would shut to let it heat back up. There's a bit of hysteresis of course.

[Edited on 25/1/21 by coyoteboy]

Maybe over cool was the wrong word.
What I mean is, if the stat takes ages open as the cold water in the rad and the stat bypass pipe takes a long time to warm up. This makes the oil take a long time to heat up, or get to temp too. So I have to wait a lot longer before I can really depress the loud pedal.

I paid for ARP bolts and damn it! I'm going to use them
But I'm not so crazy that I'm going to rev above 3k with cold oil.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 26/1/21 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
You could go electric water pump and pull the stat entirely and free up some engine hp - fastest possible warm-up. Or just reduce the volume and cooling of your bypass circuitry. Or do what Peugeot do and lob in a coolant heater (weighs about 200g) on a switched ECU output/stat switch.

[Edited on 26/1/21 by coyoteboy]

pigeondave

posted on 26/1/21 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy

Or do what Peugeot do and lob in a coolant heater (weighs about 200g) on a switched ECU output/stat switch.

[Edited on 26/1/21 by coyoteboy]

I have been looking at block heaters if truth be told. The type which go into the freeze plug.
I dunno, I'll get the oil drained and changed and install the sump plug for temp and play it from there.

I'm thinking I'll be able to go with a smaller rad in the end. Trouble is when you stop, the water temps creep up quick. I should really be running the fan off the ECU and not the switch in the rad, but that's a whole different thread.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.