Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Breaker Bar
SteveWalker

posted on 11/11/21 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I once had a phone call from my sister who was coming back from work complaining of a knocking noise coming from her Golf. I told her to take it round and I'd have a look at it, only to find every single wheel nut loose and the wheels literally rocking all over the place. Turned out the local garage had serviced her brakes but for some reason had forgot to actually tighten up the wheels after. As you'd expect she was very unhappy and then blamed me for recommending the garage too! She'd done 40 miles on the dual carriageway like this

So kinda like the opposite of your problem...

I once got rid of a car because a Nissan dealer did such an awful job during a warranty repair (turbo and fuel pump ... an electronically controlled, mechanically driven pump on the back of the engine). It was an engine out job, scheduled for a week, but it took two as they knackered the water pump while they were doing it and it delayed things.

When returned to me (lots of hassle getting that sorted and lots of lost work hours - unpaid), I got to drive home on a wet seat (it was Friday and they'd just valeted it, despite the work being finished on Wednesday).

The exhaust had been reassembled with a twist and knocked on the tunnel at low revs, the driver's side door mirror surround was cracked, one of the rear mats was missing and replaced with a non-matching one, the power steering pump was noisy (turned out they'd knackered that and it had to be replaced), during the valeting, they'd slammed the seat back up, punching a hole through a rear seat-belt, but the big one, that left me not trusting the safety of anything they might have touched at all, was when I came to change the brake pads a month later and found that I'd been driving around with a broken split pin in one hub and none at all in the other, as they'd re-used the old ones, which had cracked apart and were rolling around loosely behind the alloy wheel centre caps!

James

posted on 12/11/21 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
The wheel nut wrench supplied with my Pug 406 (presumably Peugeot supplied) folded like butter when I stood on it after getting a puncture along a dark country road last winter.

I had a long, late-night walk home to get my Teng breaker and then an equally long and even later walk back to change the wheel and get the car home!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

crimondbanger

posted on 19/11/21 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
No point using a torque wrench if the nuts/threads/crusty alloy wheels arent cleaned up. Hence most garages over torque to cover there arses, no one will pay an extra 40 quid to do the last guys job.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.