Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Converting LiveAxle Westfield to Independant rear suspension
MikeR

posted on 23/4/05 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
aaah, but are we talking sprung or unsprung here?

Two of those joints are right next to the solidly mounted diff. most of there weight will be sprung. the two by the wheel - fair enough.

(or am i talking complete rubbish here?)

[Edited on 23/4/05 by MikeR]

gazza285

posted on 23/4/05 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Two sprung, two unsprung.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 23/4/05 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
thats good enough for me, i'm right whoopee !

(welding fumes is my excuse before anyone wonders)

kb58

posted on 23/4/05 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kb58
quote:
Originally posted by barraw
MikeR - to comment on the nose heavy design, I recently parked my car on a public weighbridge, and found the front to weigh 300kg and the rear 250kg - without me in it, but if you add 2/3 of my body weight to the front/rear ratio you get an almost perfect 50/50 split.

Did you try it or are you guessing? I ask because in a Seven the driver sits far to the back. I'd expect the driver's weight distribution to be more like 80% rear, 20% front. If you know where the CG of the car is you can calculate it, or just stay in the car on the weighbridge.

[Edited on 4/23/05 by kb58]

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 24/4/05 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gazza285
quote:
The dedion tube itself is lighter than a live axle casing less diff (or should be if designed well) so that just leaves the diff

And not forgetting that you have to include the addition of four CV joints to the weight. I think that you would struggle to make a Dedion lighter than a live axle.

Ok..........I haven't done it so I don't know. I guess it depends on the axle used and the way the de-dion is engineered. If you used a Marina axle or an English with an alloy diff carrier then probably hard to beat weight wise with the dedion.

CV joints wise, the stock Ford ones can be lightened a lot (have a look at the GKN verisons, all machined away on the sides so you can see where the bolts run through) and the Ford driveshafts themselves are very heavy, I am getting some lightweight ones made as they need to be shorter anyway. (sounds frivelous for me but the lightweight ones are the same price anyway!)

Stu16v

posted on 24/4/05 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by barraw
thanks, that sounds like good advice. I will try softening the settings. I have SPAX dampers, but don't know the spring LB.

I will have a play and post a followup - once I get the car back on the road (as an alternator bracket bolt has snapped in the block so I have some drilling and tapping to do )

As a fellow owner of a live axled Westfield, the first (and probably best) thing you can do is get rid of the Spax IMHO. They just do not work with such a light car, especailly on the rear, no matter how soft you adjust them. A very popular replacement (and tried by myself) are to swap to Avo's.

Also, as has already been said, softer rear springs will help to. Some folk using their live axled cars for competition drop to as low as 100lbs, but remember that they are probably not *too* concerned about additional passenger weight...

To summerize, there is a lot you can do to improve things, at far less cost and hassle compared to changing the suspension type.

HTH Stu.

Dont just build it.....make it!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.