Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Atom's VTEC engine?
Alez

posted on 20/9/05 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
Atom's VTEC engine?

What is it? It's a 2 litre 4 cyl, but they are claiming 220 bhp. Is that factory performance or is it a preparation?

I'm kind of dreaming about putting one of these in a MX-5 because the car is fantastic but it doesn't move!

Cheers,

Alex

rug

posted on 20/9/05 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
I belive it's a supercharged Civic Type-R engine. That's what I think I remember from Top Gear

/Carl

MonkeyHunter

posted on 20/9/05 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
I think the supercharged version of the atom is 300bhp.

I think the 220bhp is the i-vtec engine from an accord.

Or you could go for the S2000 engine @ nearly 240bhp from a N/A engine

S2000
======
Displacement (cc) 1997
Maximum power (PS @ rpm) 240@8300
Maximum torque (Nm @ rpm) 208@7500

James

posted on 20/9/05 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
As Rug says:

The atom has a 300BHP supercharged Civic Type-R engine.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Gav

posted on 20/9/05 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
On piston heads their is an ariel section http://pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/forum.asp?f=79&h=0

quite a lot of interesting stuff

ned

posted on 20/9/05 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
the atom uses the honda k20a engine which is out of the latest civic type-r. the k20a engine has more tuning potential than the s2000 engine, the k20a engine is being used more in motorsport than teh s2000 engine i understand. the 300bhp is supercharged but the naturally aspirated versions come in 197bhp uk spec and 220bhp jap spec which is what most people are using in racing and the i believe the atom aswell.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alez

posted on 20/9/05 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you everyone!
Mr G

posted on 20/9/05 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Won't you have problems with engine rotation if its a honda k20a attached to an mx5 box (or any standard rwd box for that matter)?

I.e 5 reverse and 1 forward gear?

G

[Edited on 20/9/05 by Mr G]

Mark18

posted on 20/9/05 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
You want a mazda rotary engine in your mx-5 . As far as I know the mx5 box bolts up if you use the rx7 input shaft.

Mark

"I don't know what I may seem to the world. But as to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore and diverting myself now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than the ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Isaac Newton

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alez

posted on 21/9/05 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Noooo The whole point was that I love VTEC engines.. as much as I love the MX-5 mk1.. so I may well think of a different engine.. or maybe a different car!

Engines hmm, that rotary one (RX-8), or maybe the Honda S2000 one (may have the same problem as the Civic Type R one, ie wrong direction?), or the Toyota 4a-ge one (new Elise)?

I was just dreaming anyway..

Mr G

posted on 21/9/05 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
reminds me of someones sig I saw the other day....

Cheers

G

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

Noodle

posted on 21/9/05 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alez
Noooo The whole point was that I love VTEC engines.. as much as I love the MX-5 mk1.. so I may well think of a different engine.. or maybe a different car!

Engines hmm, that rotary one (RX-8), or maybe the Honda S2000 one (may have the same problem as the Civic Type R one, ie wrong direction?), or the Toyota 4a-ge one (new Elise)?

I was just dreaming anyway..

The S2000 rotates in the conventional direction.

Go rotary - think of the noise!

Cheers,

Neil.

Your sort make me sick

Alez

posted on 22/9/05 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
He he he he, that sig is really good, oh wait, I drive a Fireblade Locost!!

It's interesting how bike and car engines are getting closer sometimes, with this 1400 cc 200 bhp new Kawasaki superbike coming soon, and these jap car engines with low torque and high rpms.

BTW do you think either the S2000 or the rotary would actually fit?? I was surprised that the MX-5 is a really, really small car (you can park it anywhere).

Also, can you get anything in the region of 220-230 bhp out of any of these two? (More or less reliably and without spending mega €€€.)

Oh, also I've seen that there's quite a lot of performance aftermarket stuff available for the original MX-5 engine (turbos and things) but I don't think it's worth considering getting 230 bhp from the 1.6 if reliability is important.

What I really wanted is that VTEC!!

Cheers,

Alex

[Edited on 22/9/05 by Alez]

Mark18

posted on 22/9/05 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
There's not many engines smaller than a rotary and they'll certainly make the power you're after.

Mark

"I don't know what I may seem to the world. But as to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore and diverting myself now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than the ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Isaac Newton

iank

posted on 22/9/05 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark18
There's not many engines smaller than a rotary and they'll certainly make the power you're after.

Mark

Just remember to keep it cool, they really don't like being overheated.

andkilde

posted on 22/9/05 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Alez

These guys:

http://www.flyinmiata.com

do turbo and supercharger kits for the MX-5, 300+ HP in some applications.

Cheers, Ted

Alez

posted on 22/9/05 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark18

Mark

That's interesting if it can be done reliably, I suppose small means relatively light as well (I know nothing about rotaries). If coupling is relatively easy, that's another plus.

Cheers,

Alex

Alez

posted on 22/9/05 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andkilde
These guys:

http://www.flyinmiata.com

do turbo and supercharger kits for the MX-5, 300+ HP in some applications.

The "cars for sale" section is well worth a look, too!!! I want one!!! I mean it!!!

Cheers,

Alex

Alez

posted on 22/9/05 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

the s2000 fits in an Mk Indy so i would imagine it would fit in an mx5,

Not necesarily! You can put a v8 in a Locost, and you could never put that in a MX-5. It's a very very small car really!

quote:

as for the power 230bhp is acheivable with the s2000 although you would have to restrict it a bit
(237bhp as standard)

Oops!!

Also the RX-8 has about 230 bhp, so with any of these two I'd get what I aim for directly from the engine designers (rather than from aftermarket preparation). That should add to peace of mind as for reliability.

Cheers,

Alex

Noodle

posted on 22/9/05 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
In the UK, Brodie Brittain racing offered a turbo conversion for the MK1 MK-5 that didn't affect the manufacturers guarantee in the same way that Elford garages had marketed a turbo conversion for the MK1 RX-7 a few years previously.

To retain the Mazda's warranty, the boost was kept to reasonable levels, but more stupid/desirable conversions were available too.

Might be the easiest route to follow.

Cheers,

Neil.

Your sort make me sick

stevebubs

posted on 22/9/05 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alez
Not necesarily! You can put a v8 in a Locost, and you could never put that in a MX-5. It's a very very small car really!

[snip]

Cheers,

Alex

Not true! There's at least one RV8 MX-5 out there.

http://freespace.virgin.net/bob.carter/Mazda_mx5_V8.htm

stevebubs

posted on 22/9/05 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Thread HiJack (Sorry) - MX-5 Cobra Replica

Install the above engine and add this body kit....

http://www.cobracountry.com/monster/home.html

[Edited on 22/9/05 by stevebubs]

ned

posted on 22/9/05 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
didn't that belong to a mr bobc from this forum, the engine now resides with our esteemed webmaster i do believe.

beware, I've got yellow skin

Mr G

posted on 23/9/05 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Is that a comb I can see on the dash?......
Bob C

posted on 23/9/05 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
'tis true, it's mine - I just (I think) sold the car for 4&1/2 grand, it has the 4.6 motor now with quad 44IDF webers - making room for the '7'
The engine fits fine, you just have to be a bit creative with exhaust routeing!
Bob C

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.