Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Broke a rod end today
britishtrident

posted on 23/1/06 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
What it all boils down to is common sense --- before fixing the sizes for anything think what is used on a production car for the same purpose.
Syd Bridge

posted on 23/1/06 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
For starters, this appears to be a classic case of a young fella not knowing his own strength, and overtightening the locknut. A very common cause of failure in these smaller rodends, no matter what grade they are. I've seen rodends broken like this, before a car has turned a wheel.

The only bending moment is the longitudinal force exerted in the horizontal plane(or close to it) under acceleration and braking, as there are no loads put onto the wishbone in the vertical plane. As this load is certainly no more than that in a FF, and this size joint is common in lower echelon open wheelers, the cause of failure is more than likely man made. IE Overtightening, as has been said by many already.

Make sure that the threads in the w'bone are very tightly toleranced, to avoid movement, and use a grub screw to avoid the rodend rotating in the 'bone.

Syd.

NS Dev

posted on 23/1/06 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
The one cause of failure that no-one has given much time to is running out of travel on the rose joint.

You say the car bottoms out before the joint runs out of movement, but presumably this was checked by winding platforms etc???

You may find, dependent on geometry of course, that you could get more movement in roll than you could get while checking vertically.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

flak monkey

posted on 23/1/06 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Syd. I didnt assemble the car so cannot comment on the joint being overtightened or not. But that sounds like it could indeed be a possibility. I am going down to the pits this morning to have a look and assess the damage and see if the car can be fixed up fairly easily.

Thanks for all the advice gents. Much appreciated, and I have learnt some things too.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

britishtrident

posted on 23/1/06 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
I have never seen 8mm (or 5/16" used for anything higher loaded than an anti-roll bar link -- and that gets pure tension/compression.
The inner pivots of the wishbone on formula ford were sometimes 3/8" UNF - Where possible UNF rod ends are preffered.

cymtriks

posted on 23/1/06 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
Cymtriks,

If I read your post correctly i assume it applies even if like i have the joint is mounted 90* to that shown in the pics above as we are talking failing in the lock-nut/wishbone area rather than around the eye ?
Ive never actually suffered "slop" in a rose joint but changed then regularly as a matter of course having seen what happens too nylon type bush's, its not too late for me too go up too M16 in this position so i guess this is what you would recommend ?

always willing too learn.

If people running similar cars to yours are suffering from worn joints and you are avoiding this by changing the bearings every three races then it might be time to change up a size.

Having said that Perhaps it's normal for bearings to weat out fast in your branch of motorsport, some cars do eat bearings though this is often due to either a bad choice of bearing in the first place or letting dirt get in.

cymtriks

posted on 23/1/06 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Syd Bridge
For starters, this appears to be a classic case of a young fella not knowing his own strength, and overtightening the locknut. A very common cause of failure in these smaller rodends, no matter what grade they are. I've seen rodends broken like this, before a car has turned a wheel.

I assumed that they had been fitted properly. You are right, the most common cause of failure for bearings is damage at the time of fitting.

quote:
Originally posted by Syd BridgeThe only bending moment is the longitudinal force exerted in the horizontal plane(or close to it) under acceleration and braking, as there are no loads put onto the wishbone in the vertical plane. As this load is certainly no more than that in a FF, and this size joint is common in lower echelon open wheelers, the cause of failure is more than likely man made. IE Overtightening, as has been said by many already.

Hmm. Are FF wishbones designed the same way? The last time I took any interest in a FF car it had long trailing links at the rear to take the longitudinal loads from the rear uprights.

Though vertical loads are obviously not present the lateral and longitudinal ones definitely are and my calcs were intended to give a ball park figure.

Perhaps using lock wire instead of a lock nut would work?

quote]Originally posted by Syd BridgeMake sure that the threads in the w'bone are very tightly toleranced, to avoid movement, and use a grub screw to avoid the rodend rotating in the 'bone.

Syd.

Or a grub screw...

WIMMERA

posted on 24/1/06 at 01:50 AM Reply With Quote
The best method of locking a rod end that I have seen is to machine a short split into the threaded bush and use a purpose made clamp around the outside of the bush with a pinch bolt. It may be difficult to retro fit to an existing component.

Wimmera

madman280

posted on 24/1/06 at 02:08 AM Reply With Quote
I've broken rod ends in a number of different ways. Each way leaves its own clue. When they run out of angular travel they leave a dent in the side of the housing. Breakage due to bending moments and overloading generaly shows at the end of the rod end in or near the ball housing. Sometimes it shows a bit further down but not below the lock nut. The nut adds stability and strength to the threaded portion of the joint. Over torquing the lock nut shows failure just where you describe it. I'm no engineer and I don't have extensive race experience, but i've made my fair share of mistakes, I've learned a few things hopefully.

[Edited on 24/1/06 by madman280]

Syd Bridge

posted on 24/1/06 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WIMMERA
The best method of locking a rod end that I have seen is to machine a short split into the threaded bush and use a purpose made clamp around the outside of the bush with a pinch bolt. It may be difficult to retro fit to an existing component.

Wimmera

AHH, Rorty shows his head above the parapet again!!! No more nastiness, eh??

Yes, the pinchbolt is probably the best solution. Easily retrofitted if enough of the w'bone boss is protruding, though difficult to implement elegantly in any situation. Works well though.

Syd.

WIMMERA

posted on 24/1/06 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Think I had better nip this in the bud, I am not Rorty.

Wimmera

Syd Bridge

posted on 24/1/06 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Think I had better nip this in the bud, I am not Rorty.

Wimmera

Whatever you say, but the evidence points otherwise. I'll leave it at that.

Syd.

MikeRJ

posted on 24/1/06 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Wimmera

Also putting the locking nut on the other end of the threaded bush moves the stress point caused by the lock nut to a safer location. That does mean you need a long enough thread on the rod end/short enough threaded bush.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.