Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Howdy! My 442 under construction
Nisseven

posted on 20/4/06 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Hi
Looks great. I am using similar components but have not made the rear uprights yet. It looks as though you have made some rear uprights? If so I would be very interested in seeing how you went about it.
I've used the Nissan uprights on the front but stuck with the original rack placement and dimensions of the bottom arm. I have more room in front of the SR20 to fit the rack, whereas you look limited.
Bruce

MikeRJ

posted on 20/4/06 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Fantastic progress, mine still not quite at that stage after *mumble* years....

I notice you have moved the cockpit side tubes so that they slope down, was that just to give extra elbow room?

DIY Si

posted on 20/4/06 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
I did that on mine too. Partly to give extra elbow room, and partly because it looked "better" that way.
datz510

posted on 20/4/06 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
I dropped the cockpit side tubes after I had the seat in place. I found that the side tube was in exactly the wrong location and my elbow hit it whiel turning the steering wheel. So, I dropped it.

Now that I've done it, I like the dropped look much better than the original straight sided design.

Hang on, we're goin for a ride!

1972 Datsun 510 (1600) w/ 200hp 3.0L V6
1995 Nissan Pathfinder rock crawler

C10CoryM

posted on 21/4/06 at 02:15 AM Reply With Quote
Looking good.
Roughly how many hours a week you spend on it? You are making the sort of time that I hope to be doing once I start building. I intend to have nearly all the parts and planning done before starting. Although my fabricating experience is not great, I am an auto mechanic so I should do OK. I dont have a shop right now so I will have to rent one. Renting where I am is STUPID expensive so I need to bang it off pretty quick .
Thanks for the input.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
datz510

posted on 21/4/06 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
I've been spending on average about 3 full evenings during the week and most of one day on weekends. The rest of the time is demanded by my girlfriend.

Right now, I'm sitting at just over 2 months into the build from scratch and the chassis has 4 wheels and looks like a car. I'm very happy with the progress so far.

Yesterday, I ordered a full set of handmade aluminum fenders and a fiberglass Lotus Seven dimensioned reproduction nosecone from a company here in the states ( www.coveland7.com ). Total cost was around $700us shipped, which is about 350 pounds I'm guessing. Not bad for handmade aluminum fenders.

Also, here are a couple renderings of my suspension plans:

Front suspension:

Rear suspension:

The coilovers are motorcycle monoshocks from Kawasaki Ninja ZX7R and Yamaha R6 bikes. Got those off Ebay for between $10 and $20 each.

[Edited on 21/4/06 by datz510]

C10CoryM

posted on 23/4/06 at 01:57 AM Reply With Quote
Cool, I have 3 days/week off so I *could* spend up to 30hrs a week if I was keen enough. I hope to make quick work of it once I get started. Also had an offer from a fabricator to weld the chassis once I have it all tacked. Will be nice to have TIG welds on there.

What program you modelling the suspension in? Im still haven't decided which one I like.
Cheers.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
datz510

posted on 24/4/06 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
I used SusProg3D to model the suspension:

http://www.susprog.com/

There is a free demo version you can download, which is what I used. You cant change the parameters of the uprights, but everything else is adjustable.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.