Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra upright Mods.
MikeRJ

posted on 21/6/06 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure the Astra ball joints will be overly suitable as they are designed for use with a McPherson strut, i.e. they only have to support lateral loads rather than any weight.
meany

posted on 25/6/06 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thats a good point.

does anyone know what DAX use on their rush?.

MK_Bob

posted on 29/6/06 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
I've got some Astra ball joints which i'm planning to use on Sierra uprights. When pressed in by hand there is a small amount of play at the thick end of the taper. I'm not sure whether there will still be movement when it's tightened. I'll try it as soon as i get hold of a nut with a suitable thread. Looks fairly promising though.
fastnova

posted on 29/1/11 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, sorry to drag up an old thread here but I was looking for some help with making some of these mushroom inserts.

A friend asked me to make him a couple on a CNC lathe at work and seeing as it’s CNC there is no need to ream the tapered hole as I can bore it out strait to the correct angle.

He gave me a copy of a drawing which is the same as the second one on this thread, but nether that drawing or the other one on here actually work out at 7.125 degrees. The first one works out at 9.036 and the second one works out at 8.666, both are quite a bit off...

I was wandering if anyone else had come across this? Should I make it to the drawing and trust they will work, or change the dimensions to get the 7.125 degrees?
Or perhaps does someone have another drawing?

Thanks in advance

Jonathan

Mix

posted on 30/1/11 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Jonathan

No need to appologise for dragging up an old thread - on the contrary, it shows you've taken the time and effort to search the forum.

As far as the taper goes - if you have CNC facilities available, why not get one of the tapers your pal intends to use and measure that?

Regards Mick

fastnova

posted on 30/1/11 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
I would but the ones he has are far too chewed and corroded to measure accurately, even if they were in good condition the only true way to get close to 0.001 of a degrees is with a good shadowgraph or CMM, nether or which I have access to at work.

I could probably measure them close enough for what they are doing. But I’m an engineer, I’m not a big fan of “close enough” if I can I generally aim for “right” and if it ends up close enough then so be it.
He said he would get some new ones but as of yet has not got around to it so I am left waiting.

Jonathan

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.