Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Are Robin Hood Cars in trouble?
andy_mullin

posted on 12/8/06 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Are Robin Hood Cars in trouble?

Can anybody shed any light on the state of Robin Hood Sports Cars?

At the Newark Kit Car Show I bought some wheels, some raceline 1.2. They were delivered with the wrong offset and no fitting kit. I have tried to get them replaced with the Sierra Offset, they are on order I was told. After weeks of calls and emails no sign of them so I asked for a refund, no problem we’ll pick the wheels up then refund you!! No you wont as you will then have my wheels and my money. Anyway they agreed to refund my money at the Harrogate Kit Car Show, they have not turned up.

Cheers,

Andy

graememk

posted on 12/8/06 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
i wouldnt of thought so as they have only just been taken over. so loads of new money injected.

but i might be wrong so i'll stand and wait to be shouted at.

also wasnt there talk of them buying westfield on here a few months ago ?

scotty g

posted on 12/8/06 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Don't think they are in any trouble but they have always been known for their poor customer relations, most of this was down to the original owner but maybe the new guys are just as bad!
bernard
Junior Builder

Posts 9
Registered 24/2/06

Photo Archive Go!
Building: robin hood , zetec 1800, bike carbs ,mega jolt

posted on 12/8/06 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
hi, i will find out for you , i only live four miles away.Will let you know
Syd Bridge

posted on 12/8/06 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
Find Volvorsport, he's very close to Robin Hood Sportscars, (he works there), so should be able to answer and help.

Cheers,
Syd.

omega0684

posted on 12/8/06 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
i heard recently that a guy who had who had built a robin hood went for his SVA and the inspector failed him claiming that the chassis was weak in certain places now apparently VOSA are backing their inspector 110% so what does that say about the robin hood chassis?not good news IMO anyway i dont know what has come of it after that but maybe VOSA have been in touch with robin hood and there has been a massive shake up since they have been over taken, and that maybe why knowbody has got round to refunding your money yet?

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisg

posted on 12/8/06 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Heard today at Harrogate that Robin Hood pulled out at 3pm yesterday.

intriguing, nes pa?

Cheers

Chris

Jonte

posted on 12/8/06 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
interesting

Click it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mitch2b

posted on 12/8/06 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
theres been talk of this on th RH site, bit like the take over talk about Westfield,
must be taken with a large pinch of salt.
unfortunatly RH and custormer service dont seam to go together, and i think its there anual hols at the mo, keep at it im sure theres a refund waiting for you some where

as for the Lieghtwieght failure, yes its true, but several have passed at other centres, the builders waiting for more feedback from both VOSA and RH
problem seams tobe the testers interpretation of the book, he wasnt happy about it being monocoque.with little real chassi to strenghthen it.

Mitch

DIY Si

posted on 12/8/06 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

he wasnt happy about it being monocoque.with little real chassi to strenghthen it

So what happens to other monocoque design cars? Or is it because it's all ally?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

mitch2b

posted on 12/8/06 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
post from RH site

http://community.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=12786&st=15

Mitch

DIY Si

posted on 12/8/06 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Having read that thread it seems that part of the problem is the way the monocoque is riveted and bonded together. It says that one of the failure points is having the front suspension points screwed/riveted on. That seems to be a fair point though. otherwise it appears to be because it's a riveted ally monocoque. Having seen a few pics of it, I can understand why the tester failed it. Several parts look to be some what lacking in strength and longevity. If it where weldes steel , it MAY be ok, but riveted ally is jut too weak/likely to fail early in its life.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

MikeRJ

posted on 12/8/06 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
That's pretty poor, even from a government run organisation.

Failure sheet stated:

"Monocoque has absence of structural box section in construction"

Errmm...perhaps that's because it's a monocoque? Seem like Vosa have an arse-elbow identification issue...

MikeRJ

posted on 12/8/06 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
Having read that thread it seems that part of the problem is the way the monocoque is riveted and bonded together. It says that one of the failure points is having the front suspension points screwed/riveted on. That seems to be a fair point though. otherwise it appears to be because it's a riveted ally monocoque. Having seen a few pics of it, I can understand why the tester failed it. Several parts look to be some what lacking in strength and longevity. If it where weldes steel , it MAY be ok, but riveted ally is jut too weak/likely to fail early in its life.

The point being that several have already passed in different testing stations.

DIY Si

posted on 12/8/06 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Fair enough. Whilst I'm not an sva tester, should those chassis's have passed or is it just this tester being an ar$e? Purely in the interest of a fair fight/arguement.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

iank

posted on 12/8/06 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
That's pretty poor, even from a government run organisation.

Failure sheet stated:

"Monocoque has absence of structural box section in construction"

Errmm...perhaps that's because it's a monocoque? Seem like Vosa have an arse-elbow identification issue...

Erm, no. Monocoques gain most of their strength from sill type structures, i.e. box sections. In a convertable the tintop (sic) manufactures have to significantly beef them up to stop the chassis being floppy and failing the crash tests. If the RH doesn't have sills or a closed transmission tunnel I can understand an inspector wanting to see some evidence it's strong enough.

Lightweight was designed by the 'previous management' and I read a quote on the Rohcar website that the boss claimed it was only supposed to last a year or two as a trackday special.

MikeRJ

posted on 12/8/06 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
Monocoque is French for "single shell", defining a structure that has a stressed "skin". Box sections may or may not be incorporated into the structure, but their abscence does not preclude a structure being a monocoque!

Actualy, all the (steel) monocoque RH's I have seen have the top of the side panels folded around to form a box-like structure, does the Lightweight do this?

[Edited on 12/8/06 by MikeRJ]

iank

posted on 13/8/06 at 12:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Monocoque is French for "single shell", defining a structure that has a stressed "skin". Box sections may or may not be incorporated into the structure, but their abscence does not preclude a structure being a monocoque!

Actualy, all the (steel) monocoque RH's I have seen have the top of the side panels folded around to form a box-like structure, does the Lightweight do this?

[Edited on 12/8/06 by MikeRJ]

Indeed, the word monocoque doesn't require box sections, but being strong especially in an open top car does (or other suitable structures).

Don't know if the lightweight has such sections, but I presume the tester who failed the design doesn't believe that it has enough of them, or they are too small.

If VOSA are backing the tester none of the other test centers will be passing lightweights right now.

scotty g

posted on 13/8/06 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
I used to be a regular on RHOCAR (still go there now and then) and came very close to buying one of the Lieghtweights.
I was just about to send off a diposit when one of the other members who is a well respected engineer sent me a U2U warning not to touch it with a bardgepole, the main point of weekness he pointed out to me was the front suspension
Looks like he may have been right.
Its a shame because i think its one of the nicest looking 7s in terms of its proportions. I also like the way that RH have taken a different approach from all the spaceframes but it now seems that everyone else used spaceframes for a reason!
Cheers.

Jonte

posted on 13/8/06 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
There are 2 different test centers here in sweden that a home built car must pass to get on the road. Both of them has said that the RH lightweight construction is not up to standard for road use.

Click it

bob

posted on 13/8/06 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
I remember this chassis being slated over 2 years ago.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=10393

Mansfield

posted on 13/8/06 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Quote from ChrisG in that thread...

The only seven Stevie Wonder can read.

Very, very, funny. I wish I had thought of that.

LightweightRobinHood

posted on 14/8/06 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Hi people,

My name is Trevor Bennett, and I am the person with the failed Robinhood Lightweight.
I have built the chassis to the letter using RH's build DVD's - To say I'm gutted is an understatement.

For my extensive build website go to

http://www.lightweightkitcar.blogspot.com

I am dealing with RH to try and get a speedy outcome to this, but it is a hugely disappointing setback.

Thanks for all your kind words so far guys,

Trevor. Rescued attachment LW1.jpg
Rescued attachment LW1.jpg

andy_mullin

posted on 14/8/06 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Good news for me anyway, I got my money back and a free exhaust.

They aim to sell 500 kits this year!

Thanks to all that replied.

Andy

Scotty

posted on 14/8/06 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
LightweightRobinHood
hi mate
finger crossed for you, not good news at all
did look at the rh's but decided to go luego instead.
btw nice looking car!
lets hope rhsc get their fingers out and start helping you with this problem, only time will tell though!!

PLEASE NOTE! All comments made by this person are to be considered "Tongue in Cheek" and are not meant to be taken seriously in any way - so there!

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.