Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: GtR Chassis strength
DIY Si

posted on 16/10/06 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
GtR Chassis strength

Anyone know how strong the Spire GTr chassis is in terms of what Hp/lb ft in can handle, or a ball park figure? I'm thinking of doing something silly with one and need to know the chassis will be up to it, either as standard of with some additional bracing.

[Edited on 16/10/06 by DIY Si] Rescued attachment development1.jpg
Rescued attachment development1.jpg

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

ned

posted on 16/10/06 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
looks like it needs a bucket load of triangulating to me. sorry that's not much help but with any engine be it big hp or not that picture could do with diagonals added in most areas imho.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 16/10/06 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
hard to guess without seeing the back end, where the magic happens. As ned says the front look a little barren, but that would mostly affect handling rather than what power would make it crumple.

I do like the high sides with the X in it though

DIY Si

posted on 16/10/06 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty confident I could add a fair amount to the chassis in terms of triangulation/extra bracing, possibly enough to deal with what I have in mind. I'm thinking of doing something truly a bit silly (or so swmbo thinks) with it. Somehting 400+ on both important numbers! I don't think I could sensibly make/design a chassis from scratch to cope with all that. Unless soemone has a suitable chassis plan up their sleave?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

JoelP

posted on 16/10/06 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
assuming that the spire chassis is jigged up well to start with, and you dont need to remove many tubes, its probably a good start. Adding bracing is both fun and easy! lol.

what engine?!

DIY Si

posted on 16/10/06 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
It's something a little spicy, yet totally in standard form. I It's a 4.2 supercharged V8 from the jag XKR.

It has 408 lb ft as stock and 400 bhp!
Only bugger so far is sourcing a transaxle capable of delivering all of that, but I think I may have that covered. Just. Or, as long as i don't tune the engine, something I find very hard to resist.

[Edited on 16/10/06 by DIY Si]

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

scutter

posted on 16/10/06 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
How about binning the rice burner, You'll get reverse then aswell

ATB Dan. See you tomorrow

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DIY Si

posted on 16/10/06 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
I'll be selling/am selling the Indy to help fund such a project. If I pick the right transaxle I could have 6 gears and backwards! Or just 4 forward gears and backwards if I have to use a strong Porsche 'box. I won't really be able to push this one around so easiyl, as it'll probably weigh in at 600-650 kgs and have full body work. It should still give ~ 670 bhp/tonne!

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

scutter

posted on 16/10/06 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
That should be enough top scare the Cr*p out of you

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

DIY Si

posted on 16/10/06 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hopefully!
Oh, and I get a better sound track. But only 6.5-7 krpm.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

stevebubs

posted on 16/10/06 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
I'm pretty confident I could add a fair amount to the chassis in terms of triangulation/extra bracing, possibly enough to deal with what I have in mind. I'm thinking of doing something truly a bit silly (or so swmbo thinks) with it. Somehting 400+ on both important numbers! I don't think I could sensibly make/design a chassis from scratch to cope with all that. Unless soemone has a suitable chassis plan up their sleave?

If you want mid-V8 then other chassis options to consider:
MNR Titan
GD Lola

stevebubs

posted on 16/10/06 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
I'll be selling/am selling the Indy to help fund such a project. If I pick the right transaxle I could have 6 gears and backwards! Or just 4 forward gears and backwards if I have to use a strong Porsche 'box. I won't really be able to push this one around so easiyl, as it'll probably weigh in at 600-650 kgs and have full body work. It should still give ~ 670 bhp/tonne!

650kgs is still easily pushable - my Fury weighs in around 620...probably more with a full load of 50litres of gogo juice.

[Edited on 16/10/06 by stevebubs]

DIY Si

posted on 16/10/06 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
It's not the weight that's the problem so much, it's that the roll bar will be relatively inboard when compared with many. Unless I fit a really massive roll cage, rather than a just massive one which I intend to use. The sills/side pods are best part of a foot wide and leaning over and pushing could be a pain. And it'll have backwards anyway, so I might as well take advantage of having it!

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

NS Dev

posted on 17/10/06 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
Porsche box will be no probs.

My mate at ultima uses them with 725 hp and 600+ lbft of torque, and they haven't broken in 15,000 miles behind that!

That one is a 5 speed G50, but the 6 speed getrag box is pretty tough too, fine for 500hp

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

DIY Si

posted on 17/10/06 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Do they use the G50, or the stronger (or so I've been told) G50-50 series of boxes? Given that you know a bloke (the MD?) at Ultima, do you know if they've got any spare?
I didn't realise that the GD chassis and panel set is £4,600! For £3,000 I can get the chassis and body and wishbones from Spire, although I may just make some wishbones to use the granada/cortina uprights.

[Edited on 17/10/06 by DIY Si]

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

NS Dev

posted on 17/10/06 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
I can probably source a box for you (as long as you don't say where you got it from lol! ) but I doubt it will be cheap.

I think they charge £5000 for a brand new 6 speed (off the top of my head)

They get s/h G50's in fairly often so I will enquire for you, guess you will be looking at £1500 to £1800 for a goodun

I will ask about the various boxes bu as far as I know they either use the G50 or the 6 speed getrag. The G50 is no longer available new so all new reg cars tend to have the 6 speed, which I think is not quite as strong, but then still takes 500hp and 500lbft with no trouble.

Will ask for you and let you know.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

DIY Si

posted on 17/10/06 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Crikey! That seems a bit more than I was expecting. Having read a fair bit on some of the GT40 sites, they seem to think the audi 016 box is capable of 450+ lbft given a steel plate internally. What's better is you can get an old audi 100 for £200-300! I have to get any and all purchases past the Boss, so if a cheaper option exists, that's prefered.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

NS Dev

posted on 17/10/06 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
a lot of the v8 grassers use audi boxes and they seem to hold up ok, was going to suggest that one!

What Audis were the 016 boxes fitted to?

DIY Si

posted on 17/10/06 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
As far as I can tell, the Audi 100 and the 5000, although I'm not sure if that's a european or american model. There are also different gear ratios and final drives to suit various plans too. Not a clue which one is the most suitable though although the 3U version is talked about, but again no idea which model it comes from.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

DIY Si

posted on 17/10/06 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
This gives a good guide on gear ratios.
And this gives yet more info/ pics on the subject

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Fred W B

posted on 17/10/06 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
This is my mock up frame. torsion test
torsion test

I measured the torsional rigidity
df canamsa proto side pod
df canamsa proto side pod

Torsional rigidity without side boxes = 2700 ft/lb/Deg

Torsional rigidity with side boxes = 5700 ft/lb/fl/Deg
[img][/img]

I put a transaxle contribution in your thread in "Engine and Trans"

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 17/10/06 by Fred W B]

Schrodinger

posted on 17/10/06 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Does anybody have contact details for the Spire?
Gav

posted on 17/10/06 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Spire Sports Cars

[Edited on 17/10/06 by Gav]

DIY Si

posted on 17/10/06 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Fred, how are you going to fit the engine in there? Otherwise looks roughly simialr to what I want to achieve, but I don't feel able to sort all the suspension mounts/placing on my own, as I don't know enough about suspension geo set ups yet.
Will the final chassis look much different from that? Do you intend upping the power/changing the engine in the future, or waht power do you think your chassis could deal with?

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Fred W B

posted on 18/10/06 at 05:40 AM Reply With Quote
WRT getting the engine in, the rear top section of the frame bolts on, see more discussion
here

WRT engine power, who knows?

Looking at this list though, with 5700 ftlb/Deg it would seem that it could take quite a lot?

For comparison I list several other chassis figures, obtained from various sources on the internet, particularly contributors to www.locostbuilders.co.uk

Ultima - 3300 ftlb/Deg (coupe) and 2500 ftlb/Deg (spyder)mass 135 kg,
Lotus 23 - 1500 ftlbs/Deg, 45 kg
Lotus 7 replica, "locost book" spec - 1200 ftlbs/Deg, 82 kg
Lotus 7 replica, uprated "cymtriks" spec - 2540 ftlbs/Deg, 78 kg
Lotus Elise - 7350 ftlbs/Deg,
Lamborghini Countach - 1900 fp/degree.
Ferrari 360 spider - 6250 fp/degree.
Lotus Elan: 5,000 - lb-ft/deg
Porsche 959 - 9,500 lbs-ft/deg
Lotus Esprit SE Turbo - 4,300 lbs-ft/deg
GTD Lola T70 replica - 3300 ft/lbs per degree.

Cheers

Fred WB

[Edited on 18/10/06 by Fred W B]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.