Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Power File belts breaking
Ivan

posted on 19/10/06 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Power File belts breaking

I am getting tired (and poorer) because of my power file belts breaking at the glue line each time they get even mildly warm

Has anybody found an answer to this as the tool is useless at the moment because I just can't afford a new belt after every 3 or 4 minutes of use.

Otherwise its a brilliant tool - especialy for polishing work on the lathe.

By the way - has anybody found that grinding products to build a chassis cost almost what "the book" says the whole car will cost

RazMan

posted on 19/10/06 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
There are some variable quality belts on sale and the B&D ones are not the best around.
I have found that my belts tend to snap if I use the Powerfile in short bursts - long periods of operation are no problem.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PeterW

posted on 19/10/06 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
I am getting tired (and poorer) because of my power file belts breaking at the glue line each time they get even mildly warm

Has anybody found an answer to this as the tool is useless at the moment because I just can't afford a new belt after every 3 or 4 minutes of use.

Otherwise its a brilliant tool - especialy for polishing work on the lathe.

By the way - has anybody found that grinding products to build a chassis cost almost what "the book" says the whole car will cost

Take them back !

Not fit for purpose...! I don't know any of the sheds that would try and stand up to an argument about lack of quality if things are breaking after a few minutes.

I took back 4 Pirana jigsaw blades after I blunted the lot - cutting stainless steel admittedly...

Cheers

Pete

MikeRJ

posted on 19/10/06 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Just FYI, if you value your lathe you won't put emery/carbide abrasives anywhere near it. A sure fire way of ruining the bed and slides.
DarrenW

posted on 19/10/06 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Have you put the belts on the right way round. Important to orientate as per arrow on inside of belt. They snap anyway but last a bit longer.

Take unworn snapped belts back.

Ivan

posted on 19/10/06 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I have (put the belts the right way round) - after the first one snapped I made doubly sure of that - but yes it always pays to check so thanks.

Mr G

posted on 19/10/06 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
The only time mine snap is when i've caught something jagged which either rips the width of the band down or breaks it completely.

Yours are definately running true after fitment I take it?

Cheers

G

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

flak monkey

posted on 19/10/06 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
We use them no end at work and the belts last for ages. We use them for deburring cast iron and steel components. Think we buy our belts from buckhickman: http://bhinone.farnell.com/

Search for 'linisher' Clicky

David

[Edited on 19/10/06 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

robinj66

posted on 19/10/06 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
you could try a seller called HALLMORK on Ebay. I've not had any trouble with the belts I bought back in 2004

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.