Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: WOW
oliwb

posted on 3/1/07 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Success SWMBO has agreed to let me buy one....excellent. Time to give GTS a ring and see what the plans look like....Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 3/1/07 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
Just to add my 2p worth, the image is a press shot of the Ford Dearborn owned and restored GT40 from the link below; Pictures show a simply stunning car;

[Edited on 3/1/07 by SeaBass]

Excuse my ignorance... what's Ford Dearborn?

A friends father-in-law just sold his original GT40 for about £400,000!

Never did get round to seeing it either.

Cheers,
James

EDIT: I lied, just checked with her, it went for £800,000!

[Edited on 3/1/07 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

nludkin

posted on 3/1/07 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Didn't Adrian Newey crash an original GT40 a while back? That had to sting!
ned

posted on 3/1/07 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nludkin
Didn't Adrian Newey crash an original GT40 a while back? That had to sting!

yeah last year at the lemans classic iirc...

Ned.

ps found it:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=48926

[Edited on 3/1/07 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fozzie

posted on 3/1/07 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
SeaBass, I just knew I had seen that car recently!

A damn fine race at Goodwood (this year) it was too! Photo taken in front of the hangar toward the airfield I think....

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

SeaBass

posted on 3/1/07 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James

OK - Ford Motor Company USA, Dearborn, Michigan...

Ring any bells??

Cheers

James

posted on 3/1/07 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
quote:

OK - Ford Motor Company USA, Dearborn, Michigan...

Ring any bells??

Cheers

See.... told you I'm Ignorant....
Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Fozzie

posted on 3/1/07 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Yep Michigan! I think if you read on Ford reliveried one of their own GT40's for Goodwood.

Fozzie

James

posted on 3/1/07 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
So, at the end of the day, Darren's used a picture of a genuine GT40 to show what you're replica can look like.... rather than a picture of someone else's replica.
Not really too much of a crime then.... and hardly worth this thread and all the associated aggro!

Cheers,
James

scottc

posted on 3/1/07 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
So, at the end of the day, Darren's used a picture of a genuine GT40 to show what you're replica can look like.... rather than a picture of someone else's replica.
Not really too much of a crime then.... and hardly worth this thread and all the associated aggro!
James

I see your point, but surely a picture of their own replica would have been more appropriate?

James

posted on 3/1/07 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scottc
quote:
James

I see your point, but surely a picture of their own replica would have been more appropriate?

I tend to agree.... or maybe better still a picture of both, to show what can be achieved....

But knowing Darren it probably ain't finished yet!

Cheers,
James

nludkin

posted on 3/1/07 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Does anyone know if this kit is currently in production at GTS? Or if it's just slipped onto the website prematurely? If it's the latter then it would explain why Darren hasn't used a picture of his own replica...

If anyone here is contacting GTS today could they please ask the above question as I feel it would clear up a lot of confusion.

The GT40 is a lovely car and Darren may have hit on a cash cow here if he can produce the kits quick enough.

Fozzie

posted on 3/1/07 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Cheers,
James

Well, actually yes...... there could be a problem there if GTS haven't got permission to use the picture, and if they haven't got permission from Ford Michigan to show their product as a GTS finished product.

I have to say, it would have been better to showcase the finished GTS product rather than someone elses...... but that is my personal opinion.....

Fozzie

Hellfire

posted on 3/1/07 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
I actually thought it was a GTs-40, hence my post. An extremely good looking car and likewise, extremely good value for money. Hell, I wouldn't mind building one myself if it looks anywhere near as good as that. I don't have a problem with promoting ANY company on this forum regardless of what others think. We have received help/advice and purchased parts from the majority of manufacturers on here, so why shouldn't I promote them??

Now I've been called some things in my time but demi-god??? Despot??? Tosspott??? At least the first two are new to me

Hang on a minute, a few more as well now.......... Imbecile??? Arsehole??? (Nope, still the first two are new )

Just to clarify for the 'hard of understanding', there are only two people on Locostbuilders who post under the user name of 'Hellfire' and they are myself (Phil) and Steve. A quick look at the bottom of the post will usually reveal the author

Finally, the GT40 is a great looking car and if the GTs-40 looks anything like it, then I'm sure Darren will reap the rewards from it's sales and so he should!. If some people think I have a hidden agenda, I would suggest they seek professional help.

Phil

[Edited on 3-1-07 by Hellfire]

wilkingj

posted on 3/1/07 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
GTS40

I rang Darren this morning, Contrary to popular myths, he rang back within the hour.

Its a GT40 (Mk1) look alike as is most replicas.

Running gear based on either Sierra or Granada depending if you want 4 or 5 stud wheels.

Renault or Audi transaxle.

Ford Granada V6 up to Small block V8's and will take the Rover V8 as well. (Audi v6 as well ??)

ie I would expect it could take almost anything you can find that has a conversion plate for the transaxles above.

No docs available as yet, as they are being written. So the links dont work.

Darren put this on his website without announcing it to gauge interest... His phone has not stopped ringing since!!

The car wont be ready for at least a couple of months as they are still finalising the build. So wait a bit before bombarding Darren with orders

I think we are all interested at that price.

As Darren said, its a lot more work than a Seven style. IMHO that does not justfiy the higher prices that are out there in the current marketplace from some manufacturers. However, its their companies pricing policy and its up to them what they decide to charge.

I cant afford a Rolls Royce either
I have to vote with my wallet!

This is a good idea and perhaps could be considered as a Locost GT40 Replica.

If he can make a profit at that price, then good luck to him, perhaps the others manufacturers should take note!.

I believe the idea is along the right lines, as its a beautiful shape for a car.

At least Darren is trying something else for us tight ars*s to build cheaply!.

Paul G

posted on 3/1/07 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
I just rang them to enquire, now I know the problems other people have had contacting them in the past and I've never rang them before but the phone was answered straight away, the link on the site to the pdf's shouldnt be there yet it was put on by mistake but everything should be ready in 6-8 weeks. I asked for an estimated build cost with a rover V8 and he said 10-12 grand.

Right - think its time to sell my VX220, that should cover it!

Fred W B

posted on 14/9/07 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Bump, any news on this project?

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

scotty g

posted on 14/9/07 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Was there the other day, the prototype chassis has just about been made.
Darren was sat at the competor drawing up a ford 302 gearbox bolt pattern to work out how to mate it to the audi transaxle.
they were hoping to take it to exeter in November but i'm not sure if they will as they have just about finished their BMW based W7DE kit.
Cheers.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.