Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Stainless Chassis/Rust problem
jlparsons

posted on 4/1/07 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
I had a sneaky suspicion that may be the case, thanks for letting me know. Gut feeling was to sand off 10mil near the joint anyway regardless of whatever I'd read, then use spray-on zinc to replace it and paint as usual. Car should then be pretty much imortal! If stainless proves too expensive then this is my route i think.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

kikiturbo

posted on 4/1/07 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
if I were you, I'd use non zinc plated tube, sand everything after welding and then either powder coat it or use an epoxy etch primer...
if you attach the panels with pop rivets, then just spray some waxoil inside the tubing that you drill and seal the rivets with silicone... that should do it..

Digger Barnes

posted on 4/1/07 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Hi JL

quote:
Originally posted by jlparsons

Tig - I'd love to try it, but from what i've seen it seems that to buy one with the flexibility to match mig costs at least a grand (new).

I bought my TIG set brand new for £380, from welderswharehouse.co.uk I think. It is a GYS HF130. It has high frequency start so no tungsten inclusion in the weld, it has adjustable arc ramp down and adjustable post gas. It is only DC so it won't do aluminuim, but it can also be used for arc welding. I have welded from 1mm (TIG) to 10mm steel (stick with a couple of passes). It has been a great, very flexible little workhorse for home use.

Hope this helps

Gareth

posted on 4/1/07 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jlparsons
Thanks Paul G, your advice is well received. I shall research alloy types and hopefully test a few. I know a chap who's a steel stockholder so hopefully I can get my hands on a few bits and peices to weld then bash about in a pseudo-scientific way.

Couple of queries:
Have you had any issues with galvanic corrosion? Fixings rusting away in no time when in contact with the stainless steel? My gut tells me this wouldn't be an issue in a car but worth asking.
Tig - I'd love to try it, but from what i've seen it seems that to buy one with the flexibility to match mig costs at least a grand (new). Is there a significant difference in the weld strength between welds made with tig and mig in stainless? I've heard opinions either way.
Also, it occured to me that a bit of gussetting on the joins most likely to flex and crack might help. Any thoughts?

Hi Again

To answer your questions....

No probs with galvanic corrosion, since there isn't any dissimilar joints. Inner panels & floor are welded
and others drilled & taped using s/s screws.

The humble pop rivet is the rogue in most instances, and I haven't got any of them.

Most variations in welds are between good & bad welds, not between processes.
I'm not a lover of MIG. I have 5 processes at my disposal in the garage and so far haven't needed a MIG.
I use the TIG more than anything, and with a back purge, it's hard NOT to get full penetration.

The only gussets I've used are the seat belt mountings.

Hope this helps

All IMHO
Paul G

jlparsons

posted on 4/1/07 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all, that's given me lots to think on. Your car looks a stunner Paul G, best argument for stainless yet, particularly the cockpit. You do your own nose by the way? What's it made of?
Oh and I'm with you on rivets. Never intended to touch the things myself, even if tapping all them holes is going to be a pain in the rear end. I'm convinced the fit of the panelling will have a big effect on rigidity.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

posted on 4/1/07 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, but I do only take pics from pleasing angles, and isn't Photoshop wonderful?

Hopefully the body will all ally.

I'm on the last leg, or should that be, I'm on my last legs.

Just the bonnet to finish and the rear arches to make.

It has been a bit of a marathon. O, and did I mention all that polishing.

Paul G

gazza285

posted on 5/1/07 at 12:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
Just the bonnet to finish and the rear arches to make.

Oh, is that all? Finished next week then Paul?

As for using pre galved tube (or BZP tube come to think of it), I wouldn't bother. If you are going to grind the galve off in the corners (where moisture gathers) and then drill loads of holes to fit the floor, panels and all the other crap that needs fitting, you might as well have painted the thing in the first place. Ask yourself this, when looking at a structure, either made of tube or sheet steel, where does it go rusty first? It is most likely to be in a jointed corner or along an edge, or where a fixing has penetrated the protective coating, galvanised or not. Plus it looks crap, doesn't take to overpainting very well, and goes dull grey after a matter of months.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
macnab

posted on 5/1/07 at 05:11 AM Reply With Quote
Has anyone had welding fume fever or galvyflu as it’s also known.

I have (welding up the buggy), it’s awful, felt like I was dieing.

Do that kind of thing outside, with the wind blowing away from you.

locostv8

posted on 5/1/07 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
In my old age I don't fancy spending all my spare time polishing the car. My panneling will be light gauge steel fill welded to the chassis with the entire frame/tub painted with Por15 then the tub coated inside and out with a light coat of Linex bed liner which is a fairly light polly and will seal the pannels to the frame.

http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/gallery2/v/7slotgrille/hssss/

jlparsons

posted on 6/1/07 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Pre-galv tube

Hi Gazza,
I know what you mean about the pre-galv tube and having the corners unprotected, but if I used pre-galv I'd still paint it up as if I were using mild. It'd be purely a solution to long term corrosion, so to be honest not all that worthwhile, but if I could get it for very near the price of mild and it made next to no difference in work time then I'd say what the hell and do it. The only bit I'd go out of my way to use galv for would be the floor sheet, which in my experience is the first to go emmental.

Peteff

posted on 6/1/07 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
I'd still paint it up as if I were using mild.

It'll peel off in six months unless you treat it first. My mate painted his galvo bike shed with red oxide then paint on top and it all cracked and flaked off. Google it and you'll find solutions to the problem but it's all a bit OTT, you aren't going to drive it in the rain that often and a mild steel chassis with paint will outlast a commercial car body if you keep it under cover. Edit:- Just another point, I've never actually seen pre galvanised RHS for sale anywhere. Trailer chassis and such are all treated after manufacture.

[Edited on 6/1/07 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.