Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 7 Seat Cars?
pdw709

posted on 20/1/07 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
7 Seat Cars?

My wife's expecting our 3rd child next month and I'm looking to buy a new car which will have to have 7 seats......the problem is I hate MPVs!

I'm considering an Audi A6 2.5 TDi with the extra seats in boot, but I'm also considering a 4x4. The Audi would satisfy my lust for a powerful car but would be a bit limited in space, wheras a 4x4 would be much bigger, but slow as a tortoise.

Are there any other options out there?

Cheers

Phil

meany

posted on 20/1/07 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
just my 2 pence worth.

but would you be happy with anyone, let alone your Kids sat so near to the rear?.

what about ir a rear end shunt happens?

3GEComponents

posted on 20/1/07 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
I hate MPV's too, or as they're known in our house window licker buses!

We bought a discovery 2 (4ltr V8 on lpg) It's got a 3.5 tonne towing capacity and the towbar would take out 90% of vehicles that run into the back of you!!!

I'd buy another tomorrow.

jonno

posted on 20/1/07 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Get something pratical to move people, its cr*p to start with but my 3 kids love the bus (Space wagon).

You've got a toy to cure the need for speed

oh and i hate following people with rear facing seats !!

pdw709

posted on 20/1/07 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Its something I have considered........The seats in the boot would not be used all the time, just on occasions to add flexibility.

However, all 7 seat cars including 4x4's and MPV's tend to have the rear seats in the boot/close to the rear anyway, so I can't see much alternative.

Phil

pdw709

posted on 20/1/07 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jroberts

We bought a discovery 2 (4ltr V8 on lpg) It's got a 3.5 tonne towing capacity and the towbar would take out 90% of vehicles that run into the back of you!!!

The 7 Seat Discovery is actually one of the 4x4's I've been considering.........

At the moment I'm kind of swaying towards the A6 now while the kids are young (6 years and less). A bigger 4x4 will obviously be the better bet in the long run when the kids get older and I need more space.........

Thanks for the opinion.

Phil

pdw709

posted on 20/1/07 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jroberts

Incidently, what sort of MPG do you get with the 4ltr V8?

DIY Si

posted on 20/1/07 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
you could always go for an old 110 landy, enough seats to fit two whole families in! You can also fit so much stuff in it's ridiculous! Also, all the kiddies are sat right in the middle.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

macnab

posted on 20/1/07 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
ohh talk about hitting a sore point

How about a LWB Shogun? A bit heavy again on the gas but really big and comfy inside. I use one off these very regularly, though it's not mine and I have to say I love it Rescued attachment pajero_06.jpg
Rescued attachment pajero_06.jpg

macnab

posted on 20/1/07 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
you could always go for an old 110 landy, enough seats to fit two whole families in! You can also fit so much stuff in it's ridiculous! Also, all the kiddies are sat right in the middle.

Handy since it'll take about that many people to push it home when it breaks down...

DIY Si

posted on 20/1/07 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
True, but at least you'll get to sit inside steering it!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

akumabito

posted on 20/1/07 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Fiat Multipla FTW!

It's abrilliant car, although not everybody likes the design...

DIY Si

posted on 20/1/07 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

although not everybody likes the design...

Err, are you saying some people actually like the way the damn things look?

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

arrybradbury

posted on 20/1/07 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
2 adults + 3 kids = 7 seats......? Am i missing something? Surely a spacious 5 seater will do until the kids get a bit larger!
zetec

posted on 20/1/07 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Volvo V70 T5 with extra rear seats. They are rear facing but much more metal between kids and rear than MPV. I didn't fancy a 4x4 when I saw the results on Topgear of a quick lane change and some rolling.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

Noodle

posted on 20/1/07 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zetec
Volvo V70 T5 with extra rear seats. They are rear facing but much more metal between kids and rear than MPV. I didn't fancy a 4x4 when I saw the results on Topgear of a quick lane change and some rolling.

I've got 3 kids and a 5cyl V70 2.5, leather, climate, built in kiddy seats etc. Mine wheel spins like a bustard, even with a slush box, and in no way compares with the quality of my E34 5 series. The turbo ones are just pointless. Torque steer and wheel spin.

Mate's E-class estate is good and comfy rear occasional seats to AND it's rear-drive.

I had a 7 seat conversion in a Subaru Legacy Turbo, but that was 4wd, so therefore inferior to RWD.

Neil.

Your sort make me sick

macnab

posted on 20/1/07 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
Quote - Effective crumple zones are for your benefit as well as the guy in the other car as well remember

I don't think anyone questions the importance of crumple zones. What is questionable is the increasing number off vehicles, mostly MPV's that appear to have people seated in these areas.

I am a big believer in the original concept of 3 box design with the boot and bonnet area expendable and have a hard time accepting otherwise when I see recent crash test pictures of passenger cells collapsing.

[Edited on 20/1/07 by macnab]

MikeRJ

posted on 20/1/07 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
My mum and dad used to cart us around in a mini estate (a woody!) until we grew up a bit, then we had an MG Metro. Never had a larger car than that.

These days seems like every time you take kids out, half the house has to come with them.

macnab

posted on 20/1/07 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
your right about kids seats in the boot area of 4x4's, a fall back to the old Landy days...

Just don't get one of these pieces off s%4T. It has apparently managed to get the worst score ever in a crash test! aka the Frontera

I think I'd rather take my chances and jump!

[Edited on 20/1/07 by macnab] Rescued attachment worst.jpg
Rescued attachment worst.jpg

macnab

posted on 21/1/07 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
oh an for those to claim that thats a Isuzu Rodeo, here's a pic of the LWB Frontera doing just as well...

[Edited on 21/1/07 by macnab] Rescued attachment frontera.jpg
Rescued attachment frontera.jpg

macnab

posted on 21/1/07 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
oh look leg room like easyjet! Rescued attachment crash-test4.jpg
Rescued attachment crash-test4.jpg

macnab

posted on 21/1/07 at 01:13 AM Reply With Quote
Hang on it's been challenged by the Chevrolet Aveo now.

What ever happened to computer modelling??? Hmmm

I love the roof, baking foil perhaps?

[Edited on 21/1/07 by macnab] Rescued attachment aveo.jpg
Rescued attachment aveo.jpg

macnab

posted on 21/1/07 at 01:34 AM Reply With Quote
ho ho another sturdy 4x4, I love looking at the ncap tests Rescued attachment pinin_2003.jpg
Rescued attachment pinin_2003.jpg

gazza285

posted on 21/1/07 at 02:24 AM Reply With Quote
How about the PSA/Fiat thingy? The Fiat was the Ulysse, or the Citroen Synergie, and I think it was the Pug 806. It was a good van, but I've never driven the civvies versions so can't comment on them. The vans were reliable, comfortable, economical, and slow. Would cruise at 75 easily though.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 21/1/07 at 03:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by macnab
your right about kids seats in the boot area of 4x4's, a fall back to the old Landy days...

Just don't get one of these pieces off s%4T. It has apparently managed to get the worst score ever in a crash test! aka the Frontera

I think I'd rather take my chances and jump!

[Edited on 20/1/07 by macnab]

That was a 'JiangLing Landwind' a Chinese 4x4 which got a stunning 'zero' for ncap.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,22749-1783784,00.html

Here's a video of it's result of the test

http://www.anwb.nl/published/anwbcms/content/binaire-bestanden/mpg/auto/tests/crashtest-landwind-1-467150.wmv

Did it ever arrive? or did the publicity kill the idea of importing it?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.