Author: Subject: 7 Seat Cars?
t.j.

posted on 21/1/07 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by t.j.
quote:
Originally posted by macnab
oh look leg room like easyjet!

BTW that ain't a Frontera but a Chinese Landwind.

It is tested here in Holland, it was used in a war to the cheap chinese cars.

They improved the car with extra strenght by placing one cross-member in the front.
It not fair to test it due it mass.
This car is above 2500 kg permissable weight so should be looked at as a VAN like a mercedes VAN sprinter, VW T5 etc. This means in Europe NO TEST, so why is the landwind is tested????

Let's have a look how MB or VW would do it in the similat tests?

No, i won't buy a Landwind. But it ain't fair how they crack down imported cars just to keep the prices of the european cars high.

[Edited on 21/1/07 by t.j.]

t.j.

posted on 21/1/07 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Look on this site to see how the car are doing.

Now i know why rover went to china

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ratings/details.php?id1=1& id2=11

and the:

http://www.crashtestdb.com/home/main.php

ricklawn

posted on 21/1/07 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
we have 3 kids and a big dog. we have a 7 seat nisan patrol and it is great, goes anywhere, big enough to get every thing in. money no object my next choice would be the 7 seat nissan pathfinder (30k ish)
iank

posted on 21/1/07 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by macnab
oh look leg room like easyjet!

BTW that ain't a Frontera but a Chinese Landwind.

It is tested here in Holland, it was used in a war to the cheap chinese cars.

They improved the car with extra strenght by placing one cross-member in the front.
It not fair to test it due it mass.
This car is above 2500 kg permissable weight so should be looked at as a VAN like a mercedes VAN sprinter, VW T5 etc. This means in Europe NO TEST, so why is the landwind is tested????

Let's have a look how MB or VW would do it in the similat tests?

No, i won't buy a Landwind. But it ain't fair how they crack down imported cars just to keep the prices of the european cars high.

I don't see why buying an overweight 4x4 should mean it's ok for a low speed accident to kill you
(equally a van). So I don't buy the 'not fair' argument. If it hadn't been tested they wouldn't have fixed the problem would they.

p.s. Rover didn't 'go to China'. They went bankrupt and the Chinese bought the name, tooling and designs... but I'm sure you knew that

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

pdw709

posted on 21/1/07 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the advice.....some interesting comments!

Even though I kind of said I did not want an MPV, it did'nt stop people recommending them!

On the point of 7 seats, I know its a bit of overkill given there are only going to be 5 of us, but with modern laws governing booster seats etc and the size of a baby's rear facing travel seat, then even a genuine 5 seater will start to get cramped.

Phil

Schrodinger

posted on 21/1/07 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
I have a Mitsubishi Pajero (Shogun Import) LWB and it has 7 seats all forward facing there is also a reasonable space between the back of the rear seats and the rear of the car.
3GEComponents

posted on 21/1/07 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
It does about 17 to the gallon, way better than my scooby on a track day

But at 42p a litre who cares! Oh, and it's exempt from the congestion charge in London, as it's a green vehicle, lol

pdw709

posted on 21/1/07 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jroberts
It does about 17 to the gallon, way better than my scooby on a track day

Souds great, my only problem is that I live in a rural location and my nearest autogas station is around 30 miles away. If I could get a Duel Fuel type of LPG conversion then at least I could use petrol in an emergancy..........problem is that a brief look on autotrader reveals very few such car available Nationally!

Oh well, I'll keep looking!

Phil

ricklawn

posted on 21/1/07 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
nissan patrol has all forward faceing seats and returning around 20-26 mpg on normal daily use
Peteff

posted on 21/1/07 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Nissan Serena, it's a tarted up van really.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JoelP

posted on 21/1/07 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
well it seems nothing quite fits the bill. If only you knew a site full of people who build cars, you could design you own?
akumabito

posted on 21/1/07 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Locost people mover!
akumabito

posted on 21/1/07 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
5-seater:

7-seater:

Both are available as hardtop, landaulette or full convertible.

Kit prices 5,000 - 6,000 quid.

http://www.vintageclassics.uk.com/

3GEComponents

posted on 21/1/07 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
It's fitted with 2 x 40 ltr gas tanks and a 10 gallon petrol tank, it starts on petrol, then kicks over to gas. It can be run on petrol at anytime.

We looked at all the jap 4x4's but the deciding point for us was the cost of spares, just take a look at paddocks.

pdw709

posted on 21/1/07 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
How much space do you sacrifice with the LPG Tanks? I gather that for regular cars you can get the LPG tank in a donut shape which takes the place of the spare tyre i.e. under the boot floor. This of course would not be practacle for a Landy!

Thanks for your advice on this, I've been out today looking at Discoveries. I think I'll take a TD5 out for a test drive to see if I can live with the paultry 136BHP! If not then I might have to go the V8/LPG route!

Phil

3GEComponents

posted on 21/1/07 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
The petrol tank comes out and is replaced by the two lpg tanks in a subframe, with a skid plate over it so i can still off road with confidence!, the petrol tank is a custom made one that fits inside the diverside rear wing.

My sister runs a td5 disco, when she gets to 60, i know my eggs soft boiled

You can't beat a v8 sound track.

ayoungman

posted on 21/1/07 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
I'e got 4 kids, a landrover lwb series, totally reliable, and proven to be a life saver when t boned by a golf GTi at a junction. My vehicle was vertually undamaged since the other car went underneath my chassis. It however was a writeoff. My kids were completely unharmed. Any other vehicle and it would have been very different. If you value your kids, stick em in a Landrover product.

"just like that !"

ayoungman

posted on 21/1/07 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I'e got 4 kids, a landrover lwb series, totally reliable, and proven to be a life saver when t boned by a golf GTi at a junction. My vehicle was vertually undamaged since the other car went underneath my chassis. It however was a writeoff. My kids were completely unharmed. Any other vehicle and it would have been very different. If you value your kids, stick em in a Landrover product.

"just like that !"

trogdor

posted on 22/1/07 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
is strange how people constantly need to get bigger cars when they have kids, i know of many people who have brought mpv's etc but i don't understand it, when i was growing up, (not too long ago) all we had was a golf diesel, that was a great car we could fit in it ok and go on long trips camping etc.

its only now that my parents have brought an nissan largo as we are all too big to fit in the back of an normal car there are three of us one 17, me 21 and the other 23

this is only my opinon, my personal preference with kids is to buy the safest car for them, since some of those crash pic's were a little unsettling

Liam

posted on 22/1/07 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by arrybradbury
2 adults + 3 kids = 7 seats......? Am i missing something? Surely a spacious 5 seater will do until the kids get a bit larger!

Quite.

I dont understand this mpv nonsense either! When we first started going on holiday abroad (driving, ferries etc etc) we had a w-reg astra hatchback for mum and dad and us three kiddies. Upgraded as we grew but the biggest we had was a modern astra estate. Plenty of room though something slightly bigger (carlton sized say) would have been pleasant. Having said that fighting with the brother and sis about who sits where was a great part of growing up!

Really dont understand this modern mentality where as soon as the first kid is on the way people decide they now need a 15 seat minibus. Up to three kids and give me a good handling estate car with decent crash test ratings any day...

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pdw709

posted on 24/1/07 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Its not that simple.......

With the new car seat/booster seat law, its a tight fit getting 3 kids across the back seat. It is do-able, but a tight fit.

Besides for the first 6 months we need extra space for a rear facing baby carrier type seat, and these things can be quite big.

Then what happens if you also want to give Granny a lift as well?

Give me the extra space and 7 seats of a 4x4......I think the Landrover Discovery sounds the best option!

Phil

trogdor

posted on 25/1/07 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
that takes me back to the days of when i used to sit on my mums knee, if my gran got a lift she would be in the front with my mum in my seat and me on her lap!!

bit dangerous tho!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.