Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: IRS or De-dion
andyps

posted on 8/2/07 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Sorry if my post sounded argumentative, it was not intended.

Mike, the comment wasn't directed at you - more at someone else who was making critical remarks about a specific individual.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Peteff

posted on 9/2/07 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
I basically want something - simple, cheap, light and that handles well.

This is all he asked for. Live axle or de dion gives him this. Double wishbone is not simple and. I think we've lost the original thread a bit and got carried away.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

RK

posted on 9/2/07 at 01:08 AM Reply With Quote
And there we have it.
oliwb

posted on 9/2/07 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Quite.....decided the other night that de-dion was probably gonna be the best option. What I loose in ride on bumpy roads I make up for in not having to arse about setting it all up for months if not years! Cheers for the input though. Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega 24 v6

posted on 9/2/07 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
WHoo Hoo we win

Sorry if that sounds childish.
Looks like we need a way of locking off this thread, as the man's made his mind up on the original question.
It could carry on like this for ages and I ain't got time to pick up all of the toys thrown out of prams cause it looks like I'm going back to work at the end of next week (and locost building/material procuring).

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

t.j.

posted on 9/2/07 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
I voted for IRS

It is as simple as at the front.
If you modify the AVON drawings and read a bit and don't fit a trailing arm at the front, you will not get any toe-in or out.

Only make it nice parrallel, no bump-steer, postive camber or what ever will occur.

So.. everybody can choose what he likes. I don't agree that a De Dion is easier to fabricate.

If a tiger Cat or a robin hood can drive with the original Sierra axle how bad can your own IRS, De Dion or Live axle be?

[Edited on 9/2/07 by t.j.]

C10CoryM

posted on 9/2/07 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
I like IRS although it has to be done right. It is far more sensitive to alignment changes while driving than the front. Not sure if it was mentioned, but if you do IRS you can do a very tidy backbone chassis to give you all the torsional stiffness you need. Having said that, mine is going to be live axle because of simplicity of a 4link, and because I need all the traction I can get.

No idea on De dion, though. The only time I see it is on old, outdated race cars at the historic events . Seems to me they all seem to be sprung very stiff in the rear to avoid jacking, but so were the IRS cars of their day.
Cheers.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 9/2/07 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
IRS plans here: http://gtslocost.locostsites.co.uk/documents/pdf_files/RortyLocostIRSAssembly.pdf

De Dion Plans here: http://gtslocost.locostsites.co.uk/documents/pdf_files/RortyDeDionAxleAssembly.pdf

Dont ask me about the geometry, I had nowt to do with the design - but I understand rorty has a pretty good idea of what he was doing. Just hosting it as a service to people who want it.

Cheers,
David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

omega 24 v6

posted on 9/2/07 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
SEE WHAT I MEAN.

Decision has been made and pools are still being pissed in.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Syd Bridge

posted on 9/2/07 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Pools being p*ssed in???

I think you'll find that Calvin nix has urinated big time in his own pool.

I owe him a big 'Thank You', for what he wrote, on two points.

1. He actually points to the fact that I give assistance off forum. I help many who ask, I just don't ask for any public recognition. In fact, I insist that my help is not published. In trying to embarrass and denigrate me, he has shown that I actually DO 'walk the walk and talk the talk.' Just privately, that's all.

2. In quoting from a private u2u to another list member, oli, both have shown their lack of respect for private communications. It puts into perspective just how bright these two are, and the personal respect they have for the rest of the list members.

Mark Calvinx, Oli, why don't you publish the u2u in its entirety, just so everyone will know the full truth of what I said, and not just what you wish to imply. The offer of help was not conditional on the thread being deleted. I was suggesting that the antics of a particular member were ruining what could have been a sensible and fruitful discussion.

I've still got the original in my outbox, if you've deleted it.

The upshot of this is that I will be much more guarded in who I offer (free) help to in future.

If a member can't send a u2u with the knowledge and trust that it's contents will not be disseminated on the list openly, then what is the use of the u2u section?? Chris may as well remove it, and put an open chat section in its place. There's one in there already, so hey, why not?

It's truly, truly very sad that these sorts of people downgrade a very enjoyable forum.

Cheers,
Syd.
Still Smiling, despite the saddo's who would try and upset a man's life.

[Edited on 9/2/07 by Syd Bridge]

blueshift

posted on 10/2/07 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Having been away for a year or so, it's at once heartening and saddening to see that some things around here don't change - the "world vs Syd" slanging match is alive and well. Hooray.
britishtrident

posted on 10/2/07 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by t.j.
I voted for IRS

It is as simple as at the front.
If you modify the AVON drawings and read a bit and don't fit a trailing arm at the front, you will not get any toe-in or out.

Only make it nice parrallel, no bump-steer, postive camber or what ever will occur.

So.. everybody can choose what he likes. I don't agree that a De Dion is easier to fabricate.

If a tiger Cat or a robin hood can drive with the original Sierra axle how bad can your own IRS, De Dion or Live axle be?

[Edited on 9/2/07 by t.j.]

True just about any suspension systemcan be made to handle well in a given set of conditions. Personally I always think that swing axles get a worse image than they deserve, the trouble is the ones most people encountered were bady done --- VW, Triumph, M151 only Mercedes Benz got it right on the 1960s cars.

novacaine

posted on 10/2/07 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ch1ll1
de-dion for me,

just u2u jrobert on here
he sells them and the very good

surely after all this free advertising youre giving him about De-Dion kits you surely deserve a discount ?

Matt

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

scotmac

posted on 11/2/07 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
IRS

IRS, as pretty much EVERYONE admits, it can be done to give you a better setup, just requires some tinkering, and isn't that what this is all about? Us having fun building it ourself in order to maximize the results?
3GEComponents

posted on 11/2/07 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by ch1ll1
de-dion for me,

just u2u jrobert on here
he sells them and the very good
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

surely after all this free advertising youre giving him about De-Dion kits you surely deserve a discount ?

Matt

, I've made Paul my director of sales, however as i make so little it should be a registered charity

Anyway if i pay Paul, I'll have to pay Alex (ecosse) and MikeR

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.