Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: What mig welder?
ScotJebus

posted on 12/3/07 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
yes tig is a 2 handed job if you are useing filler wire, but its not really hard to set it up with magnets or something, and you want the best setup you can get. the better the setup the end result is far better, and thats from my teachers at college they will struggle to get the weld good if the set up is crappy they can do it but they have to really give it a good go.
flak monkey

posted on 12/3/07 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
You can TIG tack with one hand. Depeding on the joint type you dont always need filler wire (mainly lap joints and butt joints on thick plate). You could get away with tacking chassis tubes without filler though. You would need some when fully welding though.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Neil P

posted on 12/3/07 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Why do they provide welders that cannot be run on domestic circuits?

I have a Clarke 195 amp MIG. If I use it on full power it blows the fuses in the plug in under five minutes. What good is that to anyone? I recognise the good point made elsewhere on this thread that it has a better duty cycle at the lower powers. Still frustrating though.

Peteff

posted on 13/3/07 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote

Because people are gullible enough to buy them ? I have a 170 amp which will comfortably weld 8mm plate and not blow fuses. In 8 years it's only blown one plug fuse and that was welding upside down and getting the wire stuck and the shroud full of spatter.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JoelP

posted on 14/3/07 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
its ever so simple to put in a higher power outlet anyway. These 150+ amp welders, do they supply them with a 13A plug? If so it should work with it, but if theres no plug then you must be meant to put something better in.
Wadders

posted on 14/3/07 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed, ditch the plug and use a 20amp supply.

Al.

Originally posted by JoelP
its ever so simple to put in a higher power outlet anyway. These 150+ amp welders, do they supply them with a 13A plug? If so it should work with it, but if theres no plug then you must be meant to put something better in.

[Edited on 14/3/07 by Wadders]

davie h

posted on 14/3/07 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
does that mean that you couldnt run a 150 mig from a normal socket if so is the clarke 135 any good for the chassis
Wadders

posted on 14/3/07 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
A 150amp welder will run from a 13a socket, just not at full power. You wont need 150 amp to weld a locost chassis

]Originally posted by davie h
does that mean that you couldnt run a 150 mig from a normal socket if so is the clarke 135 any good for the chassis

JoelP

posted on 14/3/07 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
if i put my 130ish amp one on full power it blow holes big time in 16g tubes, no need for that much.
Nisseven

posted on 15/3/07 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
This subject always seems to atract a lot of interest. From my point of view you will get what you pay for. Only trouble is that if you have never experienced a good welder you will not realise that your cheapie is no good. Most of you would not buy a Lada as you know they are rubbish so why waste money on cheap welders? A good welder will most likely last you a life-time and will be money well spent. Mine is 250 amp BOC and runs of a 25amp single phase outlet. I have a dedicated line from the switch board in the house to the garage and have no trouble running it flat out, granted you do not use all this power most of the time but I know that it is not being overloaded. BOC welders are rebranded Kemmpis and are very good machines. What some of you should be looking at are the new inverter migs. They are incredibly small and light with very smooth arc characteristics. Our BOC welding rep reckons that you can use them with CO2 and get a weld that looks as good as ArgoShield. We have one at work for on site work but use it with gasless wire so don't know if that is true but I do know that is a smooth machine. Would be good foe an amature as well as the wire speed is all set automatically, all you do is select the thickness of material and the type of weld you want and it sets both voltage and wire speed accordingly. I appreciate that many of you are on tight budjets and I must admit I'm one, but I've never regretted spending a little more for quality and in the long run have saved money.
Bruce

MikeRJ

posted on 15/3/07 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
I've used a decent industrial MIG, and the most notiecable difference was the quality and consistency of the wire feed compared to my Clarke. That said, the Clarke is light years better than some of the cheap SIP welders, and more than adequate to make an excellent weld, providing the operator skill is sufficient i.e. no amount of build quality in the welder can compensate for the operator!

Someone mentioned about the gas bottles being cheaper in Halfords; make sure you compare like with like! MM sell the high capacity bottles which cost a little more but last way longer. It's the only ones I buy. I know I should really sort out a proper CO2 bottle and regulator, but getting hold of the bottles seems difficult, at least around here.

[Edited on 15/3/07 by MikeRJ]

MikeRJ

posted on 15/3/07 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neil P

I have a Clarke 195 amp MIG. If I use it on full power it blows the fuses in the plug in under five minutes. What good is that to anyone? I recognise the good point made elsewhere on this thread that it has a better duty cycle at the lower powers. Still frustrating though.

They supply them because they are intended to be used on higher current supplies. It's simply impossible to run a 195Amp welder at full power from a 13 Amp supply, if you need that much current then you will have to install a higher current circuit for the welder.

Peteff

posted on 15/3/07 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Synergic mig.

The one Nisseven mentions would be ideal, the rep at my supplier was playing with one but it was an industrial unit at £3000 for pipeline work. You programmed what gas and how thick the material and it set up the parameters and made adjustments on the fly as well, a bit like welding for dummies.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.