Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: You just wouldn't believe it. More engine trouble.
smart51

posted on 20/4/07 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I've separated the crank case halves and inspected the damage to the lower halves of all the crank shells. The crank case shells are fine as are the outer two conrod shells. No 2 conrod shell has the first signs of wear, as does the crank, but No 3 shell is completely copper coloured and worn. The crank also has traces of copper colour on it and signs of wear.

The crank from the old engine has been taken out and looks just fine. Tomorrow, at SWIMO's discression I'll take out the other and order the apropriate new shells / gaskets etc.

I don't want to kill the new crank so how do I determine the cause of the failure?

tks

posted on 20/4/07 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
mhhh

i would do another thing...

what was the problem with your first engine??

i woudn't touch that one and just swap from your new donor to the old donor if you get what i mean.

The reason is that crankcase bearings etc.. are atleast for me like walking on ice!

sow i would trow out the gearbox from the bad crankcase engine and put it in your old engine! think that atleast its less dangerous as "playing" with crankcase bearings..

problems looks like oil pressure on that bearing #3...

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

smart51

posted on 20/4/07 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
The old engine had the gearbox fixed, only to find that the piston skirts had worn, causing low compression. I think I'd rather swap the crank than the pistons.
Coose

posted on 20/4/07 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Have you run it low on oil at all? I assume that you have a baffle plate? What kind of oil are you using?

The other thing to consider is that the motor will have most probably come out of a crashed bike, and who knows what happened just after the point of impact? It could have easily been laid on its side with the throttle wide open for 30 seconds....

I'd do as you're doing - lob the crank in with new shells. It'd be nice to be able to blow out the oilways to be on the safe side, but that'd mean a full engine rebuild which I think that you're trying to avoid.... Make sure that you assemble the shells with good quality oil, and once it's rebuilt spin it over on the starter with the plugs out for a few seconds before starting it.

Spin 'er off Well...

smart51

posted on 20/4/07 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
I have a baffle plate and the lowest it ever got on oil was the bottom of the sight window with the engine idling. I usually top the oil up once it gets down to the middle of the window so that it just covers the window.

I've been using Castrol GPS semi-synthetic bike oil. Is this OK or should I be using fully synthetic?

The engine came from a trusted supplier of engines, not wanting to name names. He said it came from a known source. I don't know its origins though. I don't want it to happen again as I'm fresh out of cranks so any suggestions of things to inspect would be welcome.

G.Man

posted on 20/4/07 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
oil should be fine, failure almost certainly low oil pressure...

thats the only cause of main/big end/wrist pin bearing failure...

usually airlock in pickup, or oil level too low...

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

Coose

posted on 21/4/07 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
I think I can guess where your motor came from and there probably isn't anyone who is more reputable!

He would probably agree with me in what I said previously - the big end could have taken a beating during the last few seconds of the demise of the bike that it came out of, but the damage may not rear its' ugly head until a short while afterwards, which I would suspect to be the cause of the problem.

As stated in the previous post bu G.Man, your oil level should be ok, as would your choice of oil (though I personally use the best stuff I can get - Motul 300V) so that *shouldn't* have contributed to the problem.

As I said before, I would do as you are planning to - fit the old crank with new big end and main bearings. It would also be worth flushing and blowing out the oilways in the lower crankcase as that is where the crank is fed from. It should clear out any debris that may be left.

[Edited on 21/4/07 by Coose]

Spin 'er off Well...

smart51

posted on 21/4/07 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Here is a pic of the big end top shells. The bottoms are not quite as bad. I've ordered a complete set of shells plus all the gaskets bolts and lock washers that are needed. £90. Plus oil and a filter. They should all arrive next friday.

I've checked all the oilways in the crank and lower crank case using spray carb cleaner (it comes out of the can with quite a lot of force). They were all open and at 2 or 3mm diameter, it would take a lot of debris to block them. I've stripped the oil pump which looks fine too. Out of paranoia, I might fit the pump from the old engine which has beautiful bearing shells. Rescued attachment big end top shells.JPG
Rescued attachment big end top shells.JPG

tks

posted on 21/4/07 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
yeah

you can do that, saying that its wise to think about the fact where the worn piston skirt came from...

not that that second pump also has a problem...

saying that its stil strage that only num 3 looks that way...

i mean if the engine wouldn't get oil..
wy wouldn't all the bearings go out (with time) ??

To test the oil ways for obstruction i would try to measure how long it takes on each engine to empty if you fill it up with oil.. or whatso ever... maybe its to to to to but atleast you can sleep relaxed

Tks

tks

posted on 21/4/07 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thinking about your bad luck

guys what would happen if the engine's spark at no3 piston comes to early or to late would it be able to cause this kind of damage to the big end??

Tks

Coose

posted on 22/4/07 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Doubtful, plus the fact that the pre-'02 R1 uses two coils, one for 1 & 4 and the other for 2 & 3, so the same would happen to 2 if that was the case.

The problem is most likely oil starvation based on my previous posts.

Spin 'er off Well...

skydivepaul

posted on 22/4/07 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
i had a total engine failure last year with an R1 and when i stripped it, it was No3 big ends that had seized also. these must be the first to go????????

unfortunatley i couldnt salvage mine as it went whilst on a trackday at oulton park. i ended up with total engine failure, con rod snapped lots of twisted metal and the like. it was horrible to look at

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

smart51

posted on 6/5/07 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Well, the engine is back together and I've done 4 short test drives totaling 20 miles. Apart from losing a little coolant, everything seems fine. The engine sounds a lot quieter and smoother and purrs like a sewing machine. I've even found that cruising around in just sunglasses at no more than 5000 RPM or 52MPH is fairly good, gentle fun. After a few more confidence building miles, I'll start to build up the revs and throttle opening.

Next time, I'm going to build an EV.

locoboy

posted on 7/5/07 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Whats an EV?

ATB
Locoboy

smart51

posted on 8/5/07 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
An Electric Vehicle. No oil leaks, no overheating, no big ends, no carbs. Just sealed for life roller bearings with a 10,000 hour life at rated (read maximum) speed with no servicing required.
ChrisGamlin

posted on 8/5/07 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
....with the performance of a milkfloat and 40 mile range

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.