Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brakes, size matters but what do I go for! Willwood?
marv

posted on 5/3/08 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
Brakes, size matters but what do I go for! Willwood?

I'm building an MK indy with a ZX10R bike lump, its time to choose some brakes. I have my eye on the willwood kits, two of which look ideal but I need some help choosing.
The 1st option is a direct replacement for the seirra set up, using there 'midilite' caliper, with 286mm vented discs.
The 2nd option is much lighter and cheaper, uses there 'powerlite' caliper with 256mm solid discs.
I want the best braking power possible but also I dont want to get riducusly big brakes that will do nothing more than increase the unsprung weight!
What set up do most Indy builders go with?

And finaly, I have a rear drum set up,(which has been carefully removed :-) ) MK have supplied me with a bracket for rear discs, does anyone know if the bracket allows you to simply bolt on some standard seirra rear calipers + discs?
Thanks

Wadders

posted on 5/3/08 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
option 2 will easily lock the front wheels solid, with little effort.

Al

i]Originally posted by marv
I'm building an MK indy with a ZX10R bike lump, its time to choose some brakes. I have my eye on the willwood kits, two of which look ideal but I need some help choosing.
The 1st option is a direct replacement for the seirra set up, using there 'midilite' caliper, with 286mm vented discs.
The 2nd option is much lighter and cheaper, uses there 'powerlite' caliper with 256mm solid discs.
I want the best braking power possible but also I dont want to get riducusly big brakes that will do nothing more than increase the unsprung weight!
What set up do most Indy builders go with?

And finaly, I have a rear drum set up,(which has been carefully removed :-) ) MK have supplied me with a bracket for rear discs, does anyone know if the bracket allows you to simply bolt on some standard seirra rear calipers + discs?
Thanks

se7ensport

posted on 5/3/08 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
wilwood group buy

I'm also interested in the 257mm kit- I'm planning on speaking with Rally Design (UK Distributor for Wilwood) tomorrow to inquire about a group buy. I've seen substancial discounts on other forums from successful group buys- will update tomorrow PM with details.

Alex

bigrich

posted on 5/3/08 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
260mm solid discs and powerlites are plenty enough to stop a 7,. and yes the plates allow rear calipers and carriers to just bolt on with sierra discs

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

RazMan

posted on 6/3/08 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
Powerlites are very capable and quite light too.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PAUL FISHER

posted on 6/3/08 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks

And in answer to this question, yes they do.
And I have Raceleada R16 calipers with lightweight 240mm discs on the front of my zx10r Indy,and they stop and feel good.

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

Puk

posted on 6/3/08 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
Curve ball: would it be out of the question to use the motorbike calipers?

PROS: light weight, 4 or 6 pot design, cheap
CONS: new mounting plate required, is there enough pad area, can they withstand "foot pressure" as opposed to hand pressure?

I think Jedi single seaters use(d) them.

Before you judge a guy, walk a mile in his shoes. Then when you judge him, you're a mile a way and you've nicked his shoes.

Puk

posted on 6/3/08 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Ahh - looks like an old chestnut:

chestnut

Before you judge a guy, walk a mile in his shoes. Then when you judge him, you're a mile a way and you've nicked his shoes.

marv

posted on 6/3/08 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, looks like I'm set with option 2, the powerlite, no need for bigger.
1st time posting and very impressed with all your responses, thanks very much.

Marcus.

hobbsy

posted on 7/3/08 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
se7ensport - you've got a U2U
hobbsy

posted on 7/3/08 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
On a separate point has anyone upgraded from the normal Ford M16's to Powerlites say then needed to change their master cylinder due to different characteristics of the caliper?

I've only got a single master cylinder setup on this and the brake balance as is it about right.

I'd rather not faff around with either a bias box or proportioning valve or different sized master cylinders etc.

If I have to do this I might be put off swapping the calipers.

I know they'll give a good unsprung weight saving but the car stops just fine as it is.

They are vented though so even more weight to be saved as I would probably change to solid...

se7ensport

posted on 10/3/08 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Group buy if interested
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=84701&page=1#pid706456

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.