Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Machining O ring grooves Lathe
thomas4age

posted on 27/4/08 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Machining O ring grooves Lathe

How do you determine what the size and depth of an o-ring groove has to be when turning such on a lathe?

offcourse it depends on the thickness of the O-ring but is there some rule of thumb or good reading on this online somewhere?
basic question is how much smaller must the hole/groove be compared to the o-ring.

I need to machine the grooves internaly and externaly on a piece of T6 alloy, and have the normal array of HSS toolbit stuff

one side of the o ring has 0.9bar boost presure the other side has coolant which at the highest will be 80 degreesC (hopefully a LOT lower)

any tips welcome,

grtz Thomas

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

Hellfire

posted on 27/4/08 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
HERE YOU GO

I can get you a range of specific o ring form groove inserts and tools for most of the DIN standards for not much money if you require.

Steve

[Edited on 27-4-08 by Hellfire]

thomas4age

posted on 27/4/08 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
I can get O rings in holland @ technirub they have about everything I need,

I would however be interested in tolling for the lathe,

I don't really understand the site you showed, are the sizes in the columns in metric or inches?

grtz thomas

Hellfire

posted on 28/4/08 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thomas4age
I can get O rings in holland @ technirub they have about everything I need,

I would however be interested in tolling for the lathe, Let me know what size shanks you use and the width of o-rings you are planning on using

I don't really understand the site you showed, are the sizes in the columns in metric or inches? Both, as indicated

grtz thomas

Steve

thomas4age

posted on 28/4/08 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
will do, have to take some measuerments before I go out and buy some rings, I'll let you know. I need to do internal and external cutting.

do you have the tip inserts or the normal toolbit stuff? if it's the tip inserts I need the holder aswell.

I think I understand the sizes now, the Yanks use a group of sizes and we have the real different ones, both fit the same grooves....
What about the ring itself, in my application the rings sits inside a tube on the outseid wall, and the water water way 30.2mm is pushed through the tube, How big a diameter does the ring need to be, or in other words how far must the ring be compressed to give a goog seal?
I understand that the surface of the groove needs to be very neat. should I think of pollishing it?

I'll cook something up and report back, what are we looking at cost wise?

Grtz Thomas

]

[Edited on 28/4/08 by thomas4age]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.