Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rover V8 engines info please.
Danozeman

posted on 21/9/08 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Rover V8 engines info please.

Whats the difference betwen the rv8 high and low compression engines?? Power wise etc..

What box would u need to rwd?

How much would u expct to pay for one?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

mad4x4

posted on 21/9/08 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
IMHO

I wounldn;t touch a v8 they are prone to being very hard to get oil pressure etc.

I had 4 in my Landrover in 2 Years - Even rebuild one with new crank and ring etc.

Sound good when =working but get better power to weight form something Else

--->"MAd4x4 Digs a Fox hole and takes cover for the incomming barrage"

[Edited on 21/909/08 by mad4x4]

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

Agriv8

posted on 21/9/08 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman
Whats the difference betwen the rv8 high and low compression engines?? Power wise etc..

What box would u need to rwd?

How much would u expct to pay for one?

Thanks in advance.

As far as I know the Low compresion engine will give you more tourque and was built for running lower grade fuels. the higher compresion engines will give better BHP. 9.75 CR is a good one to go for you can get up to 10.5 put these will likly strugle with pinking on unleaded though I suspect you could get arround thids if running EFI ( fuel and Spark ) .

I have REbuilt 2 v8's and never had a problem with oil presure ( Personally scoring arround the oil pump galery is a problem )

the later serpantine front covers have a better oil pump arangement ( but you are running a greater risk of craked linners from this era IIRC ).

gearbox easy option is an LT77 ( from an SD1 ) but these can feel a little agriculteral to modern boxses and dont like to be rushed.

A better option in my opinion would be to go for a R380

you can also run the t5 from a Cossie ( thats what TVR did for a while )

Or if you can find one and can afford it I am running a BMW Getrag from 635 and custom bellhousing )

Cost from £150 to £4,500 for more info on V8's have a look arround RPI website lots of info.

Let me know if you want further info as I have some intresting V8 articles if you are thinking of going down this route.

As for weater it makes sense or not I like mine

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Paradoxia0

posted on 21/9/08 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

I will probably be corrected on this but I believe the lower the compression ratio the more torque low down. The higher compression ratio more BHP top end (or that is how the figures look to me).

Taking info from the V8 tuner book....
Specs:

Early 3.5
8.5:1 CR
135bhp @ 4750rpm, 205lbf/ft @ 3000rpm
9.35:1 CR (1981 onwards)
125bhp @ 4000rpm, 185lbf/ft @ 2500rpm

1985 EFi raised this to 165bhp

185bhp @ 4750rpm, 235lb/ft @ 2600rpm
200bhp @ 4850rpm, 250lb/ft @ 3250rpm

In my kit I have had (all running on carbs)
3.5 Rover SD1 engine with no oil pressure at all - scrapped
3.5 Range Rover engine - old and clattery but got me through SVA n carbs easily - cost me £250 complete with EFi
4.2 Range Rover engine - dropped a cylinder liner - block scrapped - cost £1500 professionally rebuilt (OUCH!!!)
3.9 Range Rover with 4.2 internals (as 3.9 and 4.2 blocks are the same) and is working faultlessly - free replacement for the 4.2

Gearbox wise I am using the old Rover SD1 LT77 box. Works fine!

The Rover V8s can be a pain, but the sheer effortless grunt and power is great plus you get the lovely v8 burble

Hope that helps!

Mark

There is no replacement for displacement...

mr henderson

posted on 21/9/08 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
You won't want the low compression engine for any reason, unless you are going to drive overland across Asia, maybe.

Thing to do with a RV8, in a Locost situation anyway, is not to spend too much money. Buy the book and study it, learn what to look for in a second hand engine, find a suitable one and fit it. If it goes wrong, find another one and swap it, repairs are too expensive for what they are worth.

There's no point is spending a lot of money, if you are going to do that then there are better engines out there.

If you are going to keep it Locost then an RV8 is an excellent option.

Just one thing, if you are looking at fully equipped RV8s, then the Edelbrock manifold with Weber 500 (Edelbrock) carb is a much better option than the alternative Offy/Holley combination that you see on some cars.

John

[Edited on 21/9/08 by mr henderson]

blakep82

posted on 21/9/08 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
BMW V8?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

stevec

posted on 21/9/08 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Low compression - - twin turbo?
Danozeman

posted on 21/9/08 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info very helpful.
Im just looking for cheap options to get a V8 since i sold my aussie ford ltd i miss the V8 noise!!

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Simon

posted on 21/9/08 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevec
Low compression - - twin turbo?

Why bother with low compression, though I agree with the twin turbo

ATB

Simon

mark chandler

posted on 21/9/08 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4
IMHO

I wounldn;t touch a v8 they are prone to being very hard to get oil pressure etc.

I had 4 in my Landrover in 2 Years - Even rebuild one with new crank and ring etc.

Sound good when =working but get better power to weight form something Else

--->"MAd4x4 Digs a Fox hole and takes cover for the incomming barrage"

[Edited on 21/909/08 by mad4x4]

Thousands of people would not agree with this statement, yes oil pressure can get low but these engines work on volumn of oil passed, knackered rockergear will spill oil pressure. Much later engines have a revised front cover with a different pump that sorts this out.

Apart from valve sizes which vary with age low compression engines achieved this with deeper dished pistons so if you want to rebuild its not an issue, just avoid p6 blocks with rope seals.

A late 3.5 from a range rover is probally the best bet as less lightly to suffer from porosity in heads and blocks, the EFI is on ots own loom so its just a switched battery, constant battery and an earth to run up.

Gearbox would be LT77 from SDI or Sherpa van, the later r380' s stronger but harder to source as most have a transfer box for FWD stuck on them when you need a simple tail shaft.

Regards Mark

Regards Mark

02GF74

posted on 21/9/08 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
WHY HAVE RV8 GOT SUCH A BAD REPUTATION SORRY caps lock was on,

they need regualar oil changes but will run for a long long time if neglected.

avoid p6 - rope seals, smaller oil pump and smaller vavles in head.

sd1 would be best engine for a kit car.

since they were fitted to land and range rovers, there are loads about and spare are surprisingly cheap.

Paradoxia0

posted on 21/9/08 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
The RV8 will take no end of abuse...

I was round my dad's when someone popped in as his Range Rover had just stalled at the top of the drive (he was coming to see my dad anyhow).

I have a quick look as I know a little of the RV8 and soon found the top hose had a split about 5" down the length of it, so needless to say the engine dumped most of it's coolant very quickly... He saw the temperature was a tad high about 5 miles before, but then it dropped again... As the car was on the roadside he tried to start it again (which it did once it had cooled) and drove it to someone safer...

Aparently a new hose and some water and the Rangie is still driving around with no ill effects!

Mark

There is no replacement for displacement...

wilkingj

posted on 21/9/08 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
You just gotta love the RV8.
As everyone says avoid the P6, and some of the early post P6 ones.
You want the Stiff Block one which was from about 1980 onwards.

Its expensive to fully recondition.
Camshafts are scrap after about 80K miles.
Rocker shafts wear.
However they are reliable, robust, produce easy power, and bags of torque.

There are loads about, and spares imported from America are cheap.

However,
You could also consider:
VolvoT5 - 250Bhp out the box and a lovely engine.
BMW M series - not cheap
Saab 2.3 Aero 4 pot power 230bhp out the box and a lot more without chaning the internals. Later engines fit the Vauxhall Omega (GM) gearbox.

Audi 1.8T - nice but expensive.

IMHO its a 5 or 6 pot, as they also give a nice sound. OK not quite as melodic as a V8, but still nice!

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mr henderson

posted on 22/9/08 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Audi 1.8T - nice but expensive.

I sold mine for £510 with all the bits on, and yes you are right, it was too expensive for the ebay buyer who has decided to back out .

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.