Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Heaviest, most awkward car related thing you've lifted or the worst job you've tackled?
DaveFJ

posted on 25/9/08 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Pinto aint that heavy

lifted my fully assembled short block up and mounted on my engine stand on my todd...

you lot need more weetabix

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

MikeRJ

posted on 25/9/08 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
A pinto short block isn't too bad (though certainly still plenty heavy). Add the head and a flywheel and you'll need a family sized box of Weatabix!

[Edited on 25/9/08 by MikeRJ]

zilspeed

posted on 25/9/08 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Mini A series engine and box.

I think I would have been about 17 at the time and thought it would be an easy lift.

I know an A series is quite small, but the gearbox complete with diff add a fair wee bit to it.

MikeRJ

posted on 25/9/08 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed

I think I would have been about 17 at the time and thought it would be an easy lift.

I helped a mate with his mini in my younger days, in the absence of an engine lifter we unbolted the subframe and both of us lifted the body over the engine. Another bloody stupid idea I wouldn't contemplate these days

omega 24 v6

posted on 25/9/08 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry Mr H but it has to be done.

quote:

For me that would probably be when I helped a fried lift a 2ltr Pinto (fully dressed) out of a Dutton Sierra.

Hot and greasy friend I presume

My most awkward is a rear axle for a Carlton complete with driveshafts and wish bones. A lot of swear words all with capital letters

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

iank

posted on 25/9/08 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed

I helped a mate with his mini in my younger days, in the absence of an engine lifter we unbolted the subframe and both of us lifted the body over the engine. Another bloody stupid idea I wouldn't contemplate these days

Glad that wasn't just me. Since the front wings are always rusty I just chopped the front end off the last one I did.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

daviep

posted on 25/9/08 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
FAT BIRDS

Tackled a few of these over the years, they are heavy as hell and you can't get your arms round them

plus

mates never want to give you hand!

owelly

posted on 25/9/08 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
The Mini post brought back a very uncomfortable memory!!
Similar situation. No means of lifting the engine so I unbolted the subframe. With everything disconnected, I put a cushion on the roof of the Minivan, put a scaffold plank on the cushion and the other end on my shoulder. I tied a loop of rope around the scaffold plank and onto the front panel of the van. With me crouched down, I tightened the loop to take the slack and then with a big heave, I stood up, thus lifting the front of the van up and over the engine and subframe.
In all the excitement I forgot a few vital aspects of the operation.
Firstly, the handbrake was on the van so it wouldn't roll or move backwards, forward or twist sideways.
Secondly, as I lifted the van, the engine and subframe toppled over and got jammed.
Thirdly, you really need to disconnect the speedo drive to be able to separate the two.
Fourthly, I'm not strong enough to hold the front of the van in the air for long.
Fifthly, my legs wern't long enough to try to step over or around the engine assembly.
Sixthly, getting wrestled to the floor by a plank tied to a Mini isn't fun.

[Edited on 25/9/08 by owelly]

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 4/10/08 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
full cast iron ford V6, fully dressed out of a van, with attached gearbox. and the worlds smallest bonnet... it was out a ford aerostar

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mr henderson

posted on 4/10/08 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
full cast iron ford V6, fully dressed out of a van, with attached gearbox. and the worlds smallest bonnet... it was out a ford aerostar

Bit short on the detail there. Needs fleshing out.

John

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.