Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Westfield getting chassis safety issues removed from the owners club...
Mr Whippy

posted on 24/10/08 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Westfield getting chassis safety issues removed from the owners club...

Well I see the cracking chassis issue topic has been deleted after the company became aware of the forum discussions and the Westfield club was asked to remove it which they did.

Is this right I wonder even ethical, if their chassis have a dangerous flaw and going by what was written in the posts it seems so, then is could result in owners safety being a risk, should they be able to hush it up??

Imagine Boeing doing that and people died.

think this will work now

can't imagine who told the company

[Edited on 24/10/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 24/10/08 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Linky noty worky

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

jabbahutt

posted on 24/10/08 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Certainly seems that they don't want the subject becoming common knowledge.

Makes you want to ring up as a potential
customer and ask questions.

[Edited on 24/10/08 by jabbahutt]

SeaBass

posted on 24/10/08 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
The whole think stinks...

1) Did that chassis simply fail... mmm

2) Westfield have not done themselves any favours. The chap has obviously not been happy with what's happened.

3) The chassis repair at the rear IMHO is not sound.

4) A smear campaign never helps anything.

JC

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/10/08 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
the repair was mad, why didn't they just cut out the tube and weld in another!!

tack welding some bits to it was as amateurish as could be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
l0rd

posted on 24/10/08 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Are they trying to cover up this issue and had the club removing the post?

I would like to know things like that could happen if i was about to get a westfield.

r1_pete

posted on 24/10/08 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
the repair was mad, why didn't they just cut out the tube and weld in another!!

tack welding some bits to it was as amateurish as could be

It was, and as the later post showed it was failling all over, clearly a faulty chassis, how many more are there? They should have taken his car and built it into a new chassis, that sort of service is worthy of publicity.

[Edited on 24/10/08 by r1_pete]

Confused but excited.

posted on 24/10/08 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
I would have expected the club to been more concerned in the safety of their members, rather than any potential embarassment to Westfield.
Surely making Westfield take any neccessary action to sort this obvious manufacturing fault can only do the marque some good.
I for one (had I been considering a possible purchase), would not now consider buying one.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

woodster

posted on 24/10/08 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
i like that last line

"the postings and other relevant information regarding this matter has been referred to legal authorities"

lol

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/10/08 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by woodster
i like that last line

"the postings and other relevant information regarding this matter has been referred to legal authorities"

lol

I know Westfield threatens their own owners club for bad PR! says it all really

02GF74

posted on 24/10/08 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Imagine Boeing doing that and people died.

Boeing and other US plane builders have done that, if accident investigators on national geographic is to be believed.

It is a caluclated risk and cost thing - you may lose a few people but save millions and it is the bottom line that drives these companies. No different to any other.

Ofcourse if we have to pay £ 10,000 for a short hop airline ticket on a plane that have escape capsules with own air supply and parachute, then we the punters would be complaining so it is a no win situation.

... back to the Westfield, I didn't read the full story but as far as I could tell, it was one sided from the owners point of view hence maybe why W asked for removal.

Nevertheless no car chassis should fail like that.

nick205

posted on 24/10/08 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO there's always more to any story than is conveyed to those reading an internet forum. There will undoubtedly be facts we're not privvy to which may cast a different light on things.

Again IMHO (and we've all seen it on here with GTS and their customers) trying to resolve a customer/supplier issue in public is very very rarely a constructive method.

MikeCapon

posted on 24/10/08 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
i like that last line

lol

I'm a long way from being a member of the grammar police. I make enough spelling and grammatical errors myself. But then I'm not representing a major manufacturer in what is after all a very delicate manner.

If they pay as little attention to the rest of their job???????????

twybrow

posted on 24/10/08 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
If you read the few Westfield posts, the MD can not spell/use the English language to save his life... Effect/affect - he should google the difference! Not good!

woodster

posted on 24/10/08 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
i like that last line

lol

I know Westfield threatens their own owners club for bad PR! says it all really

I'm still shaking my head its not the way to run a business

Humbug

posted on 24/10/08 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Without knowing all the facts, just looking at the later pictures of the chassis, with what looked like clean breaks all over the place, did not give me great confidence. I owned a 1992 Westfield SE for a year (when it was 10 or so years old) and it was absolutely fine, but the one in the deleted thread was something else!
Paul TigerB6

posted on 24/10/08 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by l0rd
Are they trying to cover up this issue and had the club removing the post?

I would like to know things like that could happen if i was about to get a westfield.

Seems very clear that they ARE trying to cover it up yes!! I read the whole thread on the WSCC site yesterday and i was disgusted with Westfield's action. Personally i think the guy was daft for coughing up to pay for the repair after he had an email from Westfield saying previously that the repair would be free. To then go and threaten the owners site with legal action is disgraceful!! That company seems to want to alienate their customers / potential customers. One thing's for sure - i'd never buy a Westfield after reading the thread so you can see why they started the threats!! The guy should have been given a brand new chassis free of charge IMHO.

Westfield - yet another corporate bully!!!! If that was my chassis i'd contact Trading Standards and bully them back

02GF74

posted on 24/10/08 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ you are right.

I don't think the driectors that run businesses appreciate the power of the interweb net majiggy wotsit.

Rather than hush it, they could have turned it around and sorted the problem.

Fair enough, it would have cost them a chassis but the value of the good PR would have much less than any advertising.

Having said that, it is mostly bad stuff that gets reported and you don't many posts saying I ordered x fromy y and it was as expected. You do on occasional get mention of exceptional service.

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/10/08 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
to quote a builders web site, obviously a known problem -

quote:
The chosen kit

I decided on a WESTFIELD basic starter kit with V8 bonnet and removable rear wings and slightly lighter lay-up fibreglass body, I also asked for a lightweight chassis made out of 18 gauge metal same as their race car chassis but Westfield told me they wouldn't sell me one if I was going to put the vehicle on the road, they told me that the chassis would crack with road use.
I personally didn't belief that as I thought the bike engined kits all had the lightweight chassis, I couldn't persuade him to sell me one even though he knew I was putting a bike engine in the car, this annoyed me but I just wanted to get on and order the kit.

site link

Paul TigerB6

posted on 24/10/08 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ That goes totally against what was originally said by Westfield when they examined the damaged chassis doesnt it?? Do i rember wrongly or did they accuse the owner of putting it on the track and said that will have been what caused the damage???
Hellfire

posted on 24/10/08 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeCapon
quote:
i like that last line

lol

I'm a long way from being a member of the grammar police. I make enough spelling and grammatical errors myself. But then I'm not representing a major manufacturer in what is after all a very delicate manner.

Never start a new sentence with BUT...

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/10/08 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
quote:
Originally posted by MikeCapon
quote:
i like that last line

lol

Never start a new sentence with BUT...

But that's how people speak, an old rule when cave men walked the earth no doubt

dhutch

posted on 24/10/08 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
I dont know if anyone here has not seen the photos. But as i commented on the thread before it looks pretty dam scary.

I mean, the bits round the diff, maybe just maybe. Big engine, big power, lots track action, curbs. Whatever.

But the failed front rail members didnt look clever at all. And the repair was indeed a disgrace. Something i would have been proud of if i'd done it in a pit garage with someone elses welder and some angle iron from the carpark floor. But not factory rectification work standard even for a wed friday.

Daniel

splitrivet

posted on 24/10/08 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
How conveniant for Westfield an owner has a genuine gripe they treat him like shite, do a dangerous repair then have the owners club remove any trace of it.
If they had been a company worth trusting they should have treated the guy fairly to start with.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Paul TigerB6

posted on 24/10/08 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
How conveniant for Westfield an owner has a genuine gripe they treat him like shite, do a dangerous repair then have the owners club remove any trace of it.

And forced the WSCC hide the thread with a lightly veiled threat of legal action knowing that the club wouldnt be able to defend any action. Absolutely disgusting IMHO

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.