Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Yamaha R1 installation
Jaysun370

posted on 19/2/13 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Yamaha R1 installation

Hi all, been a long time since I have been on, finally getting back into the build of my vortx.

I have a question and am looking for help in what I need to do to, if anything, to the 2008 R1 engine I have. Specifically I need to know what modifications are needed to the fuel area and the loom.

Sorry I'm not able to be any more specific but I am starting this with absolutely no idea how to proceed.

All help, comments and suggestions very gratefully appreciated

Jason

Kev99

posted on 19/2/13 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
cam cover mod

another to read

Mine was ok on the road but once put on track i had a big problem with it breathing oil heavy out the crankcase breather

this was solved by putting a home made oil separator between the breather outlet and the catch tank

also running an oil cooler to keep temps down on track days is a must imo

Kev...........

Jaysun370

posted on 20/2/13 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
Kev, thanks for the info I'll get cracking with those mods. So for the fuel system did you have to modify to accommodate the return to the tank?

Cheers Jason

adithorp

posted on 20/2/13 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
As far as I know you'll need a sump baffle and the breather/cam cover mod' as in the first link.

The problem listed in the second link is now believed by Andy Bates to be due to removing the EXUP valve and not fitting anything to avoid the resultant fault code (search for "EXUP widget".

For fueling you'll need a Powercommander (or similar) to adjust the fueling and a 'cat in the system. The standard R1 cat in the silencer won't be big enough to pass the IVA.

Loom wise have a read through Rob Collingridges Fury build site. It has a good description of how he went about it. His is a 06 5vy but should still help. I'd fit it as standard, do the mods required to get ride of the starter cut offs (side stand, clutch and neatral switches) then get it running. You can then cut out anything you don't need and extend other bits to fit piece-meal and restart after each mod' to make sure it still runs; If you make a mistake you know it's the last bit you did.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Kev99

posted on 20/2/13 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

The problem listed in the second link is now believed by Andy Bates to be due to removing the EXUP valve and not fitting anything to avoid the resultant fault code (search for "EXUP widget".

It was still undecided when i was installing mine so i kept everything in that the bike had exup etc and not had a problem
just removed the wires i didn't need and extend the ones if needed as u said

As for a fuel system im running the bike fuel pump this way i didn't need to run a fuel return as its all sorted in the pump

Kev.............

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 20/2/13 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Garage is too cold, the wires inflexible, so I'm leaving my latest 4C8 installation for the evening...

4C8 very similar to the 5VY, just a few more wires for the throttle, lambda and the floppy trumpets. EXUP can-of-worms is still there on both, so take the route that you wish. Beautifully simple. Using the R1 pump in the tank will also give you a low fuel warning, so that'll help too.

Unfortunately, the rods and gearbox are made of chocolate, but the engine is incredibly reliable if cooled well and looked over frequently. You won't need anything else than a sump baffle and the cam breather. Torque isn't good, but it will rev it's little heart out.

Being competition orientated usage I wire out the interlock fuel relay, running a pump switch on the dash, fed from the ignition switch live out. I also block off the fuel manifold regulator and run a stand-alone with no vacuum feed, helps pick-up AFR mapping, but has the disadvantage of inducing short injector pulsewidths and more emissions at idle (this later point may worry you).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.