Author: Subject: TOL is now a dictatorship
stephen_gusterson

posted on 4/3/03 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
subject closed ?????

yes methinks.

I was even thinking of deleting it.....

if you delete the first post the whole thread dissapears.....as I so discovered by accident once!

atb

Steve

James Hughes

posted on 5/3/03 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Stephen, looks like Yahoo finally let your posts through....

For those of you wondering, no posts are moderated on TOL, we don't vet new members, and there are 4 (yes, 4 - one of whom is an active member of this forum)moderators which make it less of a dictatorship I would have thought.

That said, thanks for all the snide comments about me, exclusivly from people who have never met me and completely failed to get their facts right. I am pretty sure than in the pub environment that you aspire too, you wouldnt say these things to my face. Or would you?

Remember, TOL is a public environment, as is this forum - everything gets archived. I would think that recent newpaper and TV stories about emails you wished you had never sent should send a shiver down a few spines!!

Remmber, we are all building locosts (in fact, I prefer doing that than moderating TOL), Why Oh Why do some people feel the need to try and destroy a perfectly usable and helpful resource dedicated to that end?

James Hughes (you know, the dictator)

Metal Hippy™

posted on 5/3/03 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Nobody set out to 'destroy' the resource. One person started a perfectly sensible debate about calling our cars Sevens and Sevenesque and it spiralled out of control thanks to what appeared to be regular contributers to the list.

President of the Non-conformist Locost Builders Club. E-mail for details...

James Hughes

posted on 5/3/03 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Not entirely accurate, but let sleeping dogs lie as far as I am concerned. I am more interested in getting the car finished (3 years and counting - bloody offspring keep getting in the way!), and keeping the majority of list members happy, whether they are psychotic maniacs or non-locost builders.
Metal Hippy™

posted on 5/3/03 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Let sleeping dogs lie? That's pretty easy for me. Only got a rabbit, chinchilla, hamster and a rat. No dog.

Therefore any sleeping dogs are nowhere near me to be disturbed from their sleep.

Jon Ison

posted on 5/3/03 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
James may i point out this post to you

posted on 4/3/03 at 19:56
subject closed ?????

i tried, but failed eh ????

thats me done on the subject, i'm off to pub tonight, J29 meet, i like the pub enviroment.............oh and yes i'm quite happy to make any "snide" comments i feel like, but not on here, prefare the personal touch............

James Hughes

posted on 5/3/03 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Just wanted to put a few facts into the conversation, after all, some fairly unpleasant things were said about me personally, which were untrue.

I appreciate the fact you prefer to snide it face to face - much preferable in my book!!

As an aside, have you made a GT1? Because I think thats next on the 3 year car building list!!

James

stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/3/03 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
James.

I dont have anyting against you.

I live half an hour away.

If you fancy a pint, we can talk it over no problems.

The point I was making was that since Thursday - till Tuesday - all posts I was making to the list were coming up with 'the modertator needs to approve the postings' or summat like that. Knowing that yahoo can filter individual ones, I assumed you were doing extreme modserating.

I still believe thats was the case.

I have not read TOL in the last few days as I dont want it to spiral either.

Would be against the point of my original post!

I would like to point out that one post reads wrong - the 'poser' word meant problem - not a personal 'flash git ' kinda poser.

I truly think that TOL is better off - like this site - without someone who thinks they have to control the group. Things sort themselves out.

The point I was making was that TOL gets way off its trolley at the slightest thing. Insults get chucked around at people posting phonecard ads.....that was about all that happened last weekend on TOL.

I dont have a personal problem with you James - just a distaste of some attitudes on TOL.

I have no problems talking to you personally at any time!

peace brothers.

atb

steve

Mark Allanson

posted on 5/3/03 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
James,

I have looked at TOL for about 8 months now and have been active here for about the same time. I have noticed that some members of TOL seem to get rather, shall we say expressive, usually about non car related subjects, and yet here everyone seems to be so chilled out - why the difference?

Mark Allanson

posted on 5/3/03 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
James,

I have looked at TOL for about 8 months now and have been active here for about the same time. I have noticed that some members of TOL seem to get rather, shall we say expressive, usually about non car related subjects, and yet here everyone seems to be so chilled out - why the difference?

stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/3/03 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Knowing that yahoo can filter individual ones, I assumed

that was WRONG in my last post - read CANT.

Site wont let me edit the posts!

My theory, is that TOL has a facility to send emails of every post, a digest, or you can read on site.

If you get every post emailed, it does seem very personal. This post just drops onto your screen, and it looks like its just for you.

So, if you get considerably, or a 2c phone card, or a joke, or banter, 45 times a day, i think it gets to much for some people.

I learnt in a day it was masochistic spamming.

I read on the site.

just my theory.

atb

Steve

Jon Ison

posted on 5/3/03 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
no problem james, now feel free to "cut n paste" any snide comments i have made about you below ?????????????

i'de love to see them myself????

of to meeting now, laters chaps....

James Hughes

posted on 6/3/03 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry Jon,

An apology, I didnt mean to imply you were making snide comments - just that if you were, I would prefer them face to face!!! It was a sort of joke. Emphasis on sort of!!

Going back to the list, I think one of the reasons that some member get a bit fruity is that we have many people from all over the world. I know this site does too, but judging by the majority of posting, not so many. So, we get all sorts. Also, ever mail sent to the list gets sent to everyone, as Stephen mention, unlike a forum based system such as this where you can pick and choose. Each system has its advantages of course.

What is does mean is that you can go off on one using a forum, without offending the more sensistive souls, whereas you cannot on a list based system. On the other hand, a posting may not reach everyone who may be interested.

Swings and roundabouts, but it does make a list based group much more difficult to moderate, and I now think you have to be a little draconian sometimes, in order to keep the majority of the list happy. I didnt think that 2 weeks ago....experience has taught me otherwise!!!

Peace, brothers in Locost.

James

Metal Hippy™

posted on 6/3/03 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Peace?

I thought I was the resident hippy?

Ian Pearson

posted on 8/3/03 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Surely the base line for expressing ANY opinion should be that said opinion is polite and free of abuse? If TOL or any list is not to your taste, unsubscribe, and get on with building the CAR!
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.