Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Best way to cut tyres off wheels
R1minimagic

posted on 13/11/09 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
I want the Registered Idiot to tell me, Uri Geller is probably not so safe with those things..

BTW - I have never had any major explosions in the lab so i think i am perfectly safe

[Edited on 14/11/09 by R1minimagic]

If we knew what it was we were doing it wouldn't be called research would it!

Peteff

posted on 13/11/09 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
We used to put a plank on the tyre with the end up to the rim then drive up it to break the bead then use tyre levers to fetch it off the rim. You need to do both sides in a few places so it's a long process but ultimately satisfying when it works

[Edited on 13/11/09 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

MikeR

posted on 14/11/09 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
So does that mean if i refurnished some alloy wheels I know someone i can trust to fit the rubber?

(and can you do it on a monday night between trying to steal the credit for figuring out how the uprights fit together and ignoring my rants on the environment?)

londonsean69

posted on 14/11/09 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by R1minimagic
You got it wrong there mate, you just happen to have no sense of humour, so tell me why big spoons wouldn't work..

Well, it would all depend on the size of the spoon, plus what material they are made from.

Then again, you still need to actually break the bead.

As for being the registered idiot, I had a very similar comment about the avatar earlier.

If I put registered genius no-one would believe it, as avatars are meant to be a little bit of fun.

I will, once again, point out, that the internet makes it very hard to express emotion. A little smiley, or a "LOL" might make people think you are joking.

Scarily, I don't think you are.

Here's an idea for you, it might work, it might not.

Hook the tyre up to your compressor and just put 10 bar in it. Should blow it clean off the rim.

Even better, if you know any divers, hook it up to their compressor, because 232bar will definitely shift it.

R1minimagic

posted on 14/11/09 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
Are you talking to me?!

londonsean69

posted on 14/11/09 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
Just so everyone feels better, I've changed my avatar. Who else is in this club?? There must be a few.

Although, I haven't paid the fee in years

[Edited on 14/11/09 by londonsean69]

blakep82

posted on 14/11/09 at 01:05 AM Reply With Quote
lol a lot of arguing going on today

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Steve G

posted on 14/11/09 at 01:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
lol a lot of arguing going on today

Very much "one vs the rest" on this subject!!! Simple answer to the OP - do whatever the hell you like and dont bother asking in future!!!! You've proved yourself to be a moron and quite frankly if you want to risk your alloys then i hope you slip and damage one with your cutting disk. Dont expect us to be nice if your next thread is "i've managed to damage the rim of my alloy - what do i do to repair it??" £20 will seem the bargain of the century if you damage a rim but if you are determined to do it then go for it.

BenB

posted on 14/11/09 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
I'd pay to have the tyre removed at my local garage and then say I'd take the tyres away. Paint 'em up, fill them with compost and grow spuds in them. When you need to earth up you just add another tyres on the pile and a load of compost....

How green is that

Confused but excited.

posted on 14/11/09 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
To get back on topic....Jeez guys I haven't seen flaming like that for a while. have I missed something?........anyway. See this thread: http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=117897

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

R1minimagic

posted on 14/11/09 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
If I damage anything, that's my problem and i have learned the hard way so don't worry about it.

Cheers for the guys who actually posted some constructive comments, as for the rest, you need to seriously loosen up!

Liam

posted on 14/11/09 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Smart people learn from their mistakes. Very smart people learn from other people's mistakes. I've cut tyres off wheels before when I was too much of a tight arse to pay for it. Takes bloody ages and is hard work. Typical case of trying to do a job without the right equipment. I can assure you there is no satisfaction, let alone enjoyment, to be gleaned from the task. Tyre removal and disposal is something I'm very happy to pay for - like having my bins emptied, and living in a house with a flushing toilet. Don't bother wasting your time.

liam

[Edited on 14/11/09 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.