Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I'm fed up of working on the floor so I designed these
Dusty

posted on 27/1/09 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
How about adding some triangulation to those boxes, just like your chassis?
rodders

posted on 27/1/09 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
That looks good mate, what thickness steel did you use and what's the heaviest car you've had on it?

Regards

Rhod

toenee

posted on 27/1/09 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
The frame is 30 x 5 angle with 25 x 3 tred bars. I built it to restore my Mk1 MR2, so not so heavy a car, but there was no flex even when jacking on side from a single point.

Tony

rodders

posted on 27/1/09 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the reply Tony, From what you have said the 5mm steel I was planning on using should be suitable for my car. Now I just have to find out how much it will cost and then find the money to do it.

Regards

Rhod

handyandy

posted on 27/1/09 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
hi, i like the design, simple & effective, the one thought i had was to have a brace at floor level so it won,t stop you working under the car, a brace between the two structures close to the front end, just to stop them "spreading" as you intially begin to put weight onto the ramps.
how about making them yourself, i mean doing the welding? sorry if that was already your plan.
andy

rodders

posted on 27/1/09 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Good point Andy I didn't think about bracing the two ramps together. I could get some extra cuts of the box section and clamp them to either ramp at the back and front to stop them spreading.

I haven't welded for a few years now and I would ideally like to do it myself but my welding not up to scratch at the moment. Maybe when I can afford to do it I will practice and make it myself.

Regards

Rhod

handyandy

posted on 27/1/09 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
go on! you know you CAN do it, like riding a bike isn,t it???
ok i,ll be honest, i,ve been attending a welding course at locel tech college for few weeks & so i just wanna WELD, lol

good luck & when you do build the system post some pics.
andy

[Edited on 27/1/09 by handyandy]

Canada EH!

posted on 27/1/09 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
A race shop I used many years ago had a setup like that for doing alignment work, It pivited on a pipe just aft of centre and had two large shocks on the sides to slow the teeter totter effect, apparently used by British lorries at the time as sway control. worked very well for Mini's and other Brit cars (they ran three very fast Cooper S race cars 2 1275's and one 970
Schrodinger

posted on 29/1/09 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
An obvious point but: you will need to ensure that the front of the car does not go beyond the pivot point before the rear wheels are on the ramps.

Keith
Aviemore

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.