Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 1800 Zetec std injection to carbs or t/b's?
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 25/3/09 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
1800 Zetec std injection to carbs or t/b's?

Well, recent purchase of GTS W7DE with an 1800 Zetec block installed (no loom), I've read up that it's a nightmare to use std injection system. As a result, I've been looking at carbs and throttle bodies.

I had a set of Webbers on my mk2 Astra 1600, but that was a lot simpler to do. Still, it's an option. But i cam e across this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=260381828086

With changing the inlet manifold and appropriate leads/sensors allow me to use them, does anyone know? Budget's a bit tight at the moment, just want to get the car on the road, IVA'd as quickly and efficienly (not necessarily cheaply - I'm not a tightwad!) as possible.

Cheers for any help!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

DarrenW

posted on 25/3/09 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Coozer could be your man. Did the same mod to bike carbs.

Might as well go straight in for throttle bodies if you can afford the little extra luxury.

cd.thomson

posted on 25/3/09 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
for speed I'd recommend bike carbs/webers and megasquirt for the ECU. I would suggest megasquirt over megajolt as this will allow you to upgrade to injection at a later date.

If speed was less of an issue I would definitely go for TBs with megasquirt (thats what I'm doing!) because then youve got a completely computer tunable system with none of the comprises you get with carbs. Carbs feels like a bit of a step into the ol' days for me.

Craig

will121

posted on 25/3/09 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
to get over the clearance problem with the orignal ford inlet manifold ive fitted individual throttle bodies, a plenum, Mass air flow sensor all running on the standard ford ECU, which should cope with SVA emissions, its on a tin top fiesta but should be possible under a 7 bonnet with a short manifold,

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 25/3/09 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry Will, no pictures showing. Any chance you could e-mail them and "idiots how-to" guide as to how you did yours?

Would be great if i could get it to work without having to spend a small fortune!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

will121

posted on 25/3/09 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
there is some info on page two of the web site below, to reduce clearance problems even further ive a set of single butterfly throttle bodies which are about 75mm long and think 36mm diameter,

fiesta Si throttle body info

tim windmill

posted on 25/3/09 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
I have a steel inlet manifold that i used r6 re spaced throttle bodies on my zetec would be ok for carbs as well £25 posted if your interested pictures in photo archive.
selling due to going for a ST manifold so that i could run staged injection

coozer

posted on 25/3/09 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Depends what year the engine is. If its pre Aug 95 bike carbs are the simplest/cheapest but if after that injection and a cat is the only way to get the require emissions sadly.

THIS thread shows what you need and how much it'll cost roughly.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.