Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: My car just went up in flames
adithorp

posted on 16/9/09 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear that. Must be gutting no matter how brave a face you put on about it only being "things".

To the rest of you...
Get an extinguisher fitted! Don't just have it on the "To do" list.
I've got a handheld one inside by me and an automatic one under the bonnet. It might look expensive but it's cheap compared to the damage a fire can do once it gets hold.
This is what I've got...
http://www.flameskill.co.uk/flexiTec-auto-systems.php

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

flak monkey

posted on 16/9/09 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
As my car is totally in bits this winter, I will be looking for somewhere to fit one thats for sure.

Let us know how the insurance claim goes, its always good to know.

As there were misfires sounds like a fuel leak may have caused the issue So difficult to check every fitting. I know I had a weekping fuel pipe when I was running carbs, luckily I noticed one day when the engine was running in the drive. Dread to think how long it had been leaking though!

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

MikeRJ

posted on 16/9/09 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Just been up to see it, the pikies have had the wheels and tyres, the only bits that weren't burnt ...

The final insult

Really sorry to hear about this, hope you get back on the road soon.

bob

posted on 16/9/09 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear this Jasper especialy after all the hard work and money spent (body and paint) glad to hear you are ok though.

I didnt know until i recieved a message from the outlaw known as chrisg who also sends his regards and said he is sorry to hear the news.

fesycresy

posted on 16/9/09 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
As everyone has said, you must be gutted.

So, what are you building next

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

adithorp

posted on 16/9/09 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
The vast majority of car fires are electrical in origin. The other big threat is brake fluid which if spilled on something hot (like a manifold) will ignite due to its relativly low flash point. Make sure your brake resevoir is secured (zip tie around it as a min' as that coming off in an accident causes the majority of post-crash fires.
The movies with thier expoding cars are a red herring. Petrol does NOT ignite without a spark or flame. So a simple leak will not cause a fire unless there is a stray spark or there's already a fire. It's flash point is far above it's vapourisation point, so pour fuel on a manifold and it'll just boil away. Once a fire gets established and melts through a fuel hose then things will quickly escalate. If you suspect a fire, get the fuel pump switched off quick!

adrian

David Jenkins

posted on 16/9/09 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
I've got a handheld one inside by me and an automatic one under the bonnet. It might look expensive but it's cheap compared to the damage a fire can do once it gets hold.
This is what I've got...

Adrian,

That's the sort of thing I was thinking about - it goes off when the hose is burnt/ruptured, rather than pulling a handle when you notice the flames. I don't know whether that system is better or worse than the one Fozzie listed (but the fact that hers is approved for motorsport and there's no mention of approvals for this one may be a clue ).

What sort of cost for this one?

Fozzie

posted on 16/9/09 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
One would hope that smoke/smell would be observed before the flames..

My 'kill' (electrics) pull, obviously kills the fuel pump too, so stopping anymore fuel being pumped further......

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

adithorp

posted on 16/9/09 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
This is what I've got...

Adrian,

That's the sort of thing I was thinking about - it goes off when the hose is burnt/ruptured, rather than pulling a handle when you notice the flames. I don't know whether that system is better or worse than the one Fozzie listed (but the fact that hers is approved for motorsport and there's no mention of approvals for this one may be a clue ).

What sort of cost for this one?

It was about £160 I think (can't find the invoice). It was on an offer through CompleteKitCar when I was building. I think the MSA approval might be because of the wording of the reg's (?) ...because it doesn't have any manual override maybe or set number of nozzels? I'm sure the fractured pipe doesn't give as even a spray as a nozzel but it will be where the fire is. Swings and roundabouts and in an ideal world you'd have both, but where do you stop?

My pipe does a loop around the throttle bodies/engine, along the engine fuel feed, past the fuse boxes/loom junction and then follows the wiring loom behind the dash; The most likely places for a fire to start i think. Doesn't rule out everything but better than nothing.

adrian

adrian

jimgiblett

posted on 16/9/09 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Gutted to hear the news mate.

As others have said at least nobody was hurt.

- Jim

timhoverd

posted on 16/9/09 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FozzieAbsolutely no use to Jasper now, but to all of those still building, please, please seriously consider a plumbed in fire system......they are not fortunes, about £100......and easy to fit whilst still building...

And unfortunately it'll most likely do next to nothing.

I race a Fury (I'm curently building a Spectre for next year) and I've had a serious file in my car at Snetterton a couple of years ago. Being a race car it has a plumbed in extinguisher which was dutifully released.

Frankly, you might as well go and p*ss against a wall half a mile away. What's more, I've since found out that this is the normal story.

It took 10 marshalls and 8 full size fire extinguishers to put the fire out at the end of which it looked like this:

Here's a frame from the in-car video which actually survived:

The advice we hand out to new racers is to stop the car at the nearest fire mashall's post, they've got a big red F and then leg it. You can let off the plumbed in extinguisher but the chance of it doing anything is next to zero...

Still, there's a silver lining. My car still stars in the video they show on marshalls' training events at Snetterton.

Tim

carpmart

posted on 16/9/09 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Just echoing the sentiments in the previous mails!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

Ninehigh

posted on 16/9/09 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper

Oh well, end of the day it was only a 'thing', and I've never been one for getting attached to stuff anyway.

exactly - that is the spirit.

you did the correct ting - get out quick. had you a fire extinguisher, the temptation is to tackle the flame and you'll probably have forgotten the shake it to unsettle the contenet or spent minutes reading the instuctions as the flames rose higher.

so wha't the next build gonna be?

We can make it faster, stronger and more orange. We have the technology!

gazza285

posted on 16/9/09 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by timhoverd
quote:
Originally posted by Fozzie
Absolutely no use to Jasper now, but to all of those still building, please, please seriously consider a plumbed in fire system......they are not fortunes, about £100......and easy to fit whilst still building...

And unfortunately it'll most likely do next to nothing.

Designed more to suppress the fire whilst you make good your escape rather than extinguish it, probably more effective to carry a wet blanket!

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 16/9/09 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gazza285
Designed more to suppress the fire whilst you make good your escape rather than extinguish it, probably more effective to carry a wet blanket!

Cue joke about the wimp-y passenger

Jasper

posted on 17/9/09 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Here's a picture ....

And as for the next build, don't think there'll be one for a while, gonna get a nice motorhome and spend some quality time with my lovely wife - she's been much neglected over the last years of car building, we're gonna take our dogs (no teenage daughter!) and go cruising around Europe....

[Edited on 17/9/09 by Jasper] Rescued attachment 16092009161.jpg
Rescued attachment 16092009161.jpg

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

miikae

posted on 17/9/09 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Now that is a bad burnout Jasper, I think that you are doing the right thing in taking some time out , yes go travel with the wife and doggies, new horizons and all that before fresh projects in the future .

Best of Luck to you all, keep safe and be happy.

Mike

If it can be done it i will be done .

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 17/9/09 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
I think the most important thing to learn from that picture....

build your car entirely out of silicon hose!

Have you any idea how it started Jasper? To my very untrained eye the focus looks more around the driver's side scuttle area more than anywhere else.

Thank God you got out ok!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Jasper

posted on 17/9/09 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
It may have been the fuel hose where it came out of the tunnel, or electrics around that area - to be honest I'm not really sure as it all seem to happen really fast, I got out of there so fast and didn't go back ......

miikae

posted on 17/9/09 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt be at all suprised if it wasnt the fuel hose as i and many more have had perrishing hose problems recently, bends in the hose seem to be the first to go, so now i only use hoses as straight couplers between copper pipe bends etc.

Mike

If it can be done it i will be done .

dr-fastlane

posted on 17/9/09 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Damn, It's probably the biggest nightmare that can happen. At least you're ok.

------------------------------
I have not failed once. I have successfully found ways that will not work!

https://www.motor-forum.nl/threads/hardtail-dragstyle-project.343482/

DarrenW

posted on 17/9/09 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Just seen this post. Horrified and gutted for you. Was a fantastic car too.

Pleased you are OK.

t.j.

posted on 18/9/09 at 06:00 AM Reply With Quote

Insurance?

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

Jasper

posted on 18/9/09 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, of course, I never leave home without it and agreed value as well, always a must with kit cars ....

Just waiting for the assesor to take a look at the remains and declare it a right off - not that there will be much question there I think!

Spoke to Adrian Flux who reckon it should all be sorted within 2 weeks, lets see how good they are.

wicket

posted on 18/9/09 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Jasper, just seen the sad news, gutted for you but glad you are OK.
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.