Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How different is a Touring car from it's road car equivelent.
coyoteboy

posted on 28/7/11 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Even back in the early 90's WRC the homologation cars were only really notionally similar in most mechanical parts. The shell is the same (but stiffened/seamed and improved - I heard mention of 1200 hours work on the chassis of the scoobers alone!) and IIRC the suspension geometry (or at least the pick up points) had to be the same, and the engine and turbo were meant to be the same but of course would be significantly improved but within the spec of the original car. Shocks, arms, hubs/carriers all different, interior not even close. I suspect it's similar now if not more restrictive but really the minor differences mentioned above can make a car significantly different to its road going siblings. None of that relates to touring cars directly, but my guess is it isn't far off.
SJL

posted on 28/7/11 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
I had to pop up to the company who were building the current Avensis and Audi touring cars and can tell you there isnt an awful lot left of the standard car.

he front and rear subframes are separate items as in they are completely fabricated from the bulkheads forward or back. Presumably for ease of change should they get damaged. The front suspension was all rocker arm based with Penske shocks. The uprights and all suspension components were fabricated from scratch. God only knows what the cost of their CNC equipment was.

They do still use the EPS steering ECU from the standard Avensis though

Theshed

posted on 28/7/11 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Here is a useful website if you fancy making your own - really nice bloke runs this "Tony" gets some really good stuff from time to time

www.touringcarspares.com

matt.c

posted on 29/7/11 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
I done some work on an ex btcc 1990 nissan primera, quite alot on the car is standard stuff. floor pan only slightly changed. Chassis legs standard but boxed in. Roof standard. The big changes are in the wheel arch areas. Totally changed to allow for custom subframes and suspension.

eccsmk

posted on 31/7/11 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
click

click2

i have been reading up on btcc cars, suspension engines etc

if you spend alot of time on google you will find alot of info.
the links are just 2 i saved a while back worth a look thru i think

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.