Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec setup advise
DixieTheKid

posted on 27/10/11 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
For some reason im thinking that a silver top is the old zetec se? I stand corrected!

Paul, dont really care about advise. I choose what advise I buy and so does everybody else.

COS IT'S Worth IT

monck

posted on 27/10/11 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi everyone thanks for your comments advise etc

Taking everything into account i think i will try running my 2.0 zetec standard with throttle bodies (maybe a set of cams) have mapped/roaded and see how i feel about it !!!

If people say a 1.8 is around 140hp on webers and a 2.0 blacktop standard is around 160 on throttle bodies i have a 20hp gain also having throttle bodies maybe it will make the car feel abit quicker if there more responsive ....

Also i have a set of gsxr 750 tb's and a st170 inlet would i be better trying to find some jennevy style tb's insted i know cost is more but will i notice any difference ?

Ryan

BaileyPerformance

posted on 28/10/11 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by monck
Hi everyone thanks for your comments advise etc

Taking everything into account i think i will try running my 2.0 zetec standard with throttle bodies (maybe a set of cams) have mapped/roaded and see how i feel about it !!!

If people say a 1.8 is around 140hp on webers and a 2.0 blacktop standard is around 160 on throttle bodies i have a 20hp gain also having throttle bodies maybe it will make the car feel abit quicker if there more responsive ....

Also i have a set of gsxr 750 tb's and a st170 inlet would i be better trying to find some jennevy style tb's insted i know cost is more but will i notice any difference ?

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

If funds permit a set of Jenvey 45s (DCOE style) are the way to go, 175bhp is normal on a stock 2.0L blacktop (see my website)

You need a decent exhaust system too, don't worry if the manifold is not the ideal equal length type, just make sure it's made from large bore tube. The system should be at least 2.5inch bore (2 3/4inch better) with straight thru box(s)

With Jenveys, the right exhaust, MS2+good mapping, piper 285 cams 200BHP is achievable.

Good luck with your project!

Dale.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul Turner

posted on 28/10/11 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
Don't think you can call the Zetec SE "old". Its a current engine that is used in the Fiesta, Focus etc but its now called the Sigma. Caterham fit it as one of their engines, it replaced the K Series. In 1700 form from the Puma it can produce serious power and is extremely small and light. If I was building from scratch now it would either be a Zetec SE (Sigma) or Duratec that powered it.
Fizzer

posted on 31/10/11 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Monck,
I run a similar setup to what you're describing and get 178 hp

2 litre blacktop (solid lifters)
newman cams
weber 45's
arp rod bolts
free flowing exhaust
1/2 day on dyno

Cams:
I bought Newman Phase 3 cams (fast roadrally cam)
Part No. FORZ/270/425M
http://www.newman-cams.com/pdf/ford.pdf -

Install notes:
you may (probably) need to file off a *tiny* bit of metal near the follower to get clearance for these cams - a dremel does this very well
They do not need uprated springs, pistons, rods, lifters etc.
They take a bit of time to get shimmed in, you'll need a set of feeler gauges & verniers, create a shopping list of shims then order them from your local ford dealer.

ARP rod bolts are advisable if you're aiming for ~180hp (approx 50 from ebay - I *think* you need 8mm ones, not 9mm but do check)

I have verniers but have not adjusted them yet. On mine the power comes in very high in the rev range, the dyno guy said that the vernier adjustment could bring peak power down the rev range a tad and give more torque (sacrificing outright power)

I have a standard head.

You will get *a bit* more power from TB's but mostly you get drivability and clean performance throughout the rev range. You also get better economy. (you don't get burbles and pops and bangs on theoverrun like you do with carbs)...

You will need to sort out your alternator/water pump arrangement as it's reversed on the BT compared to ST

If you have any questions about mine drop me a PM.

P.S. the torque on this thing is mental, here's a wet Brands track day vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmIAJP175h8&lc=bUaX3Y6LxpMZZ-VMZoYxlIGaBt_GPw-Wt5cx7ll2Trc&feature=inbox

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.