Lightning

posted on 21/3/13 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Who won almost every race last year?..................Spire

Steve

gavin174

posted on 21/3/13 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
Just a quick question that I haven't understood.

If it is in RGB isn't that "road going bike engined".
To be road going it would have to be capable of passing IVA.

The front lights look lower than the required 500mm? This isn't the only competing car that looks to have this issue.
Can anyone explain for me?

I believe there are only a few RGB cars that are road legal

Dan has a fury and Bob has a BDN S3 that are legal

there may well be others..

the car is suppossed to capable of passing a mot, but this is very loosely interpreted...

taken from the 750mc website..

"Created in 2001, the RGB Championship (Roadgoing bike-engined cars) is for two-seater cars to roadgoing spec and capable of passing an MoT on the day of the event. The cars can be ‘one-off’, converted sports or Sports Specials or one of the many bike-engined Sports Specials"

[Edited on 21/3/13 by gavin174]

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

jeffw

posted on 21/3/13 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

The front lights look lower than the required 500mm? This isn't the only competing car that looks to have this issue.

Because RGB has lost its way? It used to be for kit cars that where road-legal with bike engines but know we see more and more race cars being developed (Sabre, Stealth, BDN etc etc) which don't have a road-going equivalent. There just seems to be hoards of mid-engined race cars which really should be in Bike Sports but couldn't hope to compete with the Radicals of this world.

Front Bike Engined kit car series anyone ? We could call is FBEKC for short.

I appreciate there are road-going Spires and the BDN has been through IVA but the march of the mid-engine car has ruined the series.

[Edited on 21/3/13 by jeffw]

scootz

posted on 21/3/13 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slingshot2000
quote:
Originally posted by SCAR
anybody else recognise the bodywork yet?

Are you implying that they may have copied somebody else's work ???

It's Evolution Baby!

TimC

posted on 21/3/13 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
Because RGB has lost its way? It used to be for kit cars that where road-legal with bike engines but know we see more and more race cars being developed (Sabre, Stealth, BDN etc etc) which don't have a road-going equivalent. There just seems to be hoards of mid-engined race cars which really should be in Bike Sports but couldn't hope to compete with the Radicals of this world.

I appreciate there are road-going Spires and the BDN has been through IVA but the march of the mid-engine car has ruined the series.

To be honest, the numbers tell a different story. The grids are set to be bigger this year than in any year since I started following the series in 2006.

To a certain extent I also feel sad that the formula has moved-upwards in terms of the technology and costs involved but I appreciate that the appeal of the Championship is greater than ever for those with the interest and the means.

It's not like Class F is dead - there's still a good number of cars out there - plus three new Class F cars due to make an appearance this year (I can only claim to have owned two of them )

The Championship is very healthy. It might not look quite as you and I would like it to but 'you pays your money... etc.'

Edit to add that I wouldn't be at all surprised if this year's overall Champ is in a front-engined car. It'll be enormously difficult to dominate Class R. If someone can stand out in Class F, I think they'll have a great chance.

[Edited on 21/3/13 by TimC]

whitestu

posted on 21/3/13 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
anybody else recognise the bodywork yet?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you implying that they may have copied somebody else's work ???

You mean like everyone has copied the Lotus 7?

maccmike

posted on 21/3/13 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:
Originally posted by blowden86
Indeed! £35/40K for an entry level Radical or £20K for a turnkey from MK, hmm. I know what I'd go for!

Depends if you want a professionally developed racing car backed up by a professional customer service... or just something that (kind-of) looks fast and is backed up with a raggedy-arsed customer service!

Personally, I would skip both and buy an AB Performance Sabre. It's professionally developed, Andy is helpful above-and-beyond the call of duty, and the car is reasonably priced.

+++++++++

SCAR

posted on 21/3/13 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Just saying I hope that building one wouldnt cause a kit car crisis! I am sure it wouldn't and I think the new car will be a great addition to the grid.
As previously posted Tim Gray didnt only compete against the Radicals he beat them all (the cars first time out in Bikesports) at Anglesey in an RGB car with slicks added and no aero.
And the GT3 didnt just win most RGB races in 2012 it won all 14 out of 14 with 14 fastest laps. Being the gents they are (Paul and Tim) they have decided to enter a GT3 in Bikesports for the 2013 season rather than try and repeat their incredible achievements of 2012.
As soon as the weather improves its going to be a great year in RGB and Bikesports, unfortunately if it snows the results for the first race of the season could end up being be a bit of a lottery.

scootz

posted on 21/3/13 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Just saying I hope that building one wouldnt cause a kit car crisis!

It's Evolution Baby!

marc n

posted on 22/3/13 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
Well having read the thread so far..... mk like ourselves And ab make a lmp style car that can be road legal for the same price as advertised as the one that can race.However it appears that certain manufacturers can not do this !!! Scar your car shares race winning dna it came out if the same shop but trust me its not the same :-( by a long shot :-(

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SCAR

posted on 23/3/13 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
Having played host in our workshop to both the racing versions of the gt3 and the earlier gtr we are well aware of the differences between the road versions and the RGB entered cars. Since our students would not be allowed to race it would be foolish (and too expensive) to use all the race parts. Race brakes and rose jointed, race efficient suspension do not make for a good road car, race tracks tend to have far fewer speed bumps and pot holes.
I think the RGB rules require "capable of passing an MOT test" but I doubt there are more than 2 or 3 cars on the grid that would pass an mot without at least some small adjustment or modification. As far as I know non of the other front runners in RGB (class R) have a road going version (unaltered) of their race cars and having looked carefully at a gt3 a road version, whilst possible would probably be far too race focused to be "practical"
Gutted about Donny we were really looking forward to seeing the new cars in action.

[Edited on 23/3/13 by SCAR]

[Edited on 23/3/13 by SCAR]

Ian-B

posted on 29/3/13 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote

I can shed some light on the above issues, having run cars in both RGB and Bikesports. Firstly almost any of the mid to front running RGB cars could easily be competitive in Bikesports, as has been proven by both the Spire and BDN winning in Bikesports on their debut meetings (both occasions were well supported by Radicals and the like), the big difference is cost, for example to be competitive in Bikesports you really need to budget £600+ for a set of slicks at each meeting, in RGB you can be competitive spending little more than this a season on tyres.
Second I do not think that RGB has lost its way, since its start RGB has always advertised itself as being for one-offs as well as kits, only someone very naïve could not foresee that people producing one offs would design them to be as fast as possible within the rules, which is exactly what has happened and is very core part of the 750mc, amateurs and small teams designing and building race cars. Obviously in the beginning it was mainly kits, but that is simply because that was all that was available, it takes time to design and build cars.
With regard to the 500mm headlamp height, the rules do not specifically require this, as only being able to pass an MOT is required, however a number of cars do meet the 500mm requirement even at race ride height.

Regards

Ian

DRC INDY 7

posted on 2/4/13 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning
Who won almost every race last year?..................Spire

And to also add to this who designed and builds the current spire ...........................

Thats right i hear you all say Martin keenan aka MK Engineering the founder of the mk indy

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

austin man

posted on 2/4/13 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
The Stealth is a new Car from MK the Body work has been remodeled, it will take a season to get the balance right and make the tweaks needed as MK did with the Indy R ( a race car which nhas proven its pedigree)

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

SCAR

posted on 3/4/13 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
DRC INDY 7
And to also add to this who designed and builds the current spire ...........................

You have stated on a public forum that Martin Keenan builds the current Spire. Why would you do that?
I have stood in the Spire workshops watching the current cars being built to a very high standard with a massive commitment in time and effort by Tim and Paul.
I have watched the chassis being welded up on the jigs and followed the assembly process from ali panels to engine start up, I know Martin worked with Paul on the design (he is a talented engineer) and has in the past made wishbones for Paul but please let us know what supports your statement regarding "builds the current spire" or did you make it up?

[Edited on 3/4/13 by SCAR]

DRC INDY 7

posted on 3/4/13 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
The current round tube chassis,when first developed by martin was built in house, as well as future ones
but that was last year and may have now passed on prodution of the chassis to spire

Maybe i should have stated build the chassis for spire

[Edited on 4/3/2013 by DRC INDY 7]

Puddle Dodgers Club

DRC INDY 7

posted on 3/4/13 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Just saying I hope that building one wouldnt cause a kit car crisis! I am sure it wouldn't and I think the new car will be a great addition to the grid.
As previously posted Tim Gray didnt only compete against the Radicals he beat them all (the cars first time out in Bikesports) at Anglesey in an RGB car with slicks added and no aero.
And the GT3 didnt just win most RGB races in 2012 it won all 14 out of 14 with 14 fastest laps. Being the gents they are (Paul and Tim) they have decided to enter a GT3 in Bikesports for the 2013 season rather than try and repeat their incredible achievements of 2012.
As soon as the weather improves its going to be a great year in RGB and Bikesports, unfortunately if it snows the results for the first race of the season could end up being be a bit of a lottery.

If you would like to know more about this car, the mk stealth, then give danny a call rather than speculate on here about it when you havent a clue

[Edited on 4/3/2013 by DRC INDY 7]

Puddle Dodgers Club

SCAR

posted on 3/4/13 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
The current round tube chassis,when first developed by martin was built in house,...quite probable as Martin worked on the design
as well as future ones ..what?
but that was last year ..what?
and may have now passed on prodution of the chassis to spire
but you previously stated builds the current Spire
This is gibberish nonsense
For the record I have no problem with MK and wish Danny all the best and look forward to seeing the Stealth. It will be a welcome addition to the grid. The bodywork (modified) is based on the TS400, I think it looks great, if it works well we may decide to build one.
However if you post rubbish someone is bound to question it, please re-read what you have written

DRC INDY 7

posted on 3/4/13 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
The current round tube chassis,when first developed by martin was built in house,...quite probable as Martin worked on the design
as well as future ones ..what?
but that was last year ..what?
and may have now passed on prodution of the chassis to spire
but you previously stated builds the current Spire
This is gibberish nonsense
For the record I have no problem with MK and wish Danny all the best and look forward to seeing the Stealth. It will be a welcome addition to the grid. The bodywork (modified) is based on the TS400, I think it looks great, if it works well we may decide to build one.
However if you
post rubbish someone is bound to question it, please re-read what you have written

Ok then mr scar i know nothing and your knowledge is superior to mine

Puddle Dodgers Club

SCAR

posted on 3/4/13 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
I have no way of knowing if that is true but have no problem with the accuracy of your post
(This is meant to make you laugh)
all the best
Steve

edsco

posted on 3/4/13 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Play nicely boys! ;-)
All you need to know is.....I need a beer after reading all that.

edsco

PAUL FISHER

posted on 3/4/13 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Here we go, Danny out testing the new car a few days ago, looking good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32Mdqhreb2I

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2751
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 3/4/13 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Looks pretty good and quite planted.

Hope the police can't read his speedo though.

SCAR

posted on 3/4/13 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for posting the video, the car looked good, I cant wait to see it in action and its nice to see an RGB car on the road.
DRC INDY 7

posted on 3/4/13 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Roll on brands hatch at the end of the month for the 750 weekend

Puddle Dodgers Club

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.