Poll: Shaving with a razor; soap, foam, gel or... [View Results]
Electrical
Mouse from can
Gel from can
Soap 'n Brush (well done, Mr. Gentleman! ;-))
Something else...

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Shaving with a razor; soap, foam, gel or...
Xtreme Kermit

posted on 30/7/13 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
I used to use electric shavers but got fed up with rechargables dieing on me.

I now use a shaving oil, topped by king of shaves gel and use a gillette fusion vibrating razor thing. Finish off with a post shave balm and it's the best shave I've ever had.

jps

posted on 30/7/13 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
This it's what I am using at the moment

http://www.amazon.com/Weishi-Chrome-Plated-Butterf ly-Shaving/dp/B005HMNW2Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

benchmark51

posted on 30/7/13 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
I used to pinch whatever the wife was using but now she's gone I don't bother at all. Just trim as
much as I can with scissors.

ed1max

posted on 30/7/13 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sebastiaan
So, where do we stand on this? I'm a long time opponent of electrical shavers (itchy, nasty things!) so I use the gilette-type handheld razors.

As for lube (ooh, err...) I've tried the fairly traditional mousse from a can, gel from a can that becomes mousse (same stuff?) and for the last few years a bit thicker stuff from a tube. I might just go completely oldschool and use soap and brush but am wondering if it is really worthwhile.

Your preferences and opinions required!

Thanks!

In the words of Tony Hancock Cold Steel and the badger

Andi

posted on 30/7/13 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Original-Source-Men-Cooling-Shave-Gel-with-Black-Mint/48417011?sku=48417011&dnr=y

For me

Andi

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 30/7/13 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I just like to see the guy who tries to get a "mouse" out of a can to use it to shave with, maybe its a Dutch thing!!

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

mookaloid

posted on 30/7/13 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Best there is apply with a brush - shave with a Gilette of some sort

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

UncleFista

posted on 30/7/13 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
I like an adjustable razor, I don't like a shave so close it feels like I've had a local anaesthetic

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Scuzzle

posted on 30/7/13 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
I detest shaving but it has to be done. I also detest Gillette as a company, every time they bring out a new razor with more blades and gimmicks I fall for it even though you just get the exact same shave. The amount they charge us for something that cost them pennies to make is ridiculous.

I'm a wet shave guy, gel and the detestable Gillette Mach 3, I prefer shaving in the shower though, after showering the stubble softens up and shaves off easier with less razor burn plus if I do manage to nick myself it's usually stopped by the time I get out so no toilet roll paper patches for me.

ReMan

posted on 30/7/13 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Do not bother with a brush, just lather simple soap on my face and scrape away with a razor.

+1 In shower, after soaking

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

splitrivet

posted on 30/7/13 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
Duckhams 20/50
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

craig1410

posted on 30/7/13 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
Gillette gell for sensitive skin, in the shower with Mach 3 blades. Very effective and generally blood free.

But

The cost of blades is scandalous

So

I'd love to get hold of something like this

http://www.harrys.com

Disposable blades with old school shaving. Nice!

nick205

posted on 31/7/13 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr C
Don't bother unless I'm on a beach holiday then king of shaves and decent disposable, otherwise stubble trimmer shortest setting all over, head, chin, everything, when I can be arsed.

Ditto, it been to a barber's for 20+ years.

Clippers on grade 1 or 2 all over for me depending on mood.

skov

posted on 31/7/13 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Despite being temptingly locost, the 8 for £1 disposable razors from poundland are not a bargain.
Turns out you need to spend more than 12.5 pence per razor to avoid ripping your face to shreds...

jossey

posted on 31/7/13 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
I swear by the oil. It's the only one I can use to help reduce razor rash.

You use 2 tiny drops which you leave for a few mins to soften the hair and it spikes it or feels that way.

Really good.

quote:
Originally posted by sebastiaan
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
I use a vibrating thing in the shower.

For some reason I find this is OK as long as I've left the shampoo on my head while I do it.. Not using shampoo or rinsing it off before the razer is agony...

Do yo, really?

Intrigued about this shaving oil stuff. What is it? Have never seen it before over here (NL). Good to see at least one of us is doing it properly locost with the old style blades!

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
swanny

posted on 31/7/13 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
spent years shaving once every three to four days and suffering with shaving rash until i got a new 'smart job' where i had to be clean shaven all the time.

skin seemed to get used to regular shaving and shaving rash went away. now though just use a rechargeable electric, easy to do it whilst the kettle is boiling in the morning. no foams, gels, balm. very locost

Simon

posted on 31/7/13 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410

The cost of blades is scandalous

Yep - I made a packet of five blades last nearly 2 1/2 years but was nearly scraping the hair off my face

ATB

Simom

l0rd

posted on 1/8/13 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
I use a Mach 3 turbo Gilette razor.

I never used gel or anything else to shave.

Quick shower and then a shave just with water.

Takes me less than 30 sec and do it every couple of days if I am not bored

Ninehigh

posted on 1/8/13 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Nivea men sensitive gel, comes out exactly the same as foam when aggetated, but can last 3 times as long. All done IN the shower when hair is nice and soft. Combined with Gillette mk3 blades.

[Edited on 30-7-13 by loggyboy]

Same here, although shaving in the shower for me often results in blood because I'm not properly looking at what I'm doing in the misted up mirror.

Electric razors just make me feel like I've just got up for the whole day, no idea why (same with not shaving)

I also go through ebay for my Mach3 blades, iirc if you can get them for £1 a blade or less it's cheaper than supermarkets. Then again I've also got a safety razor and find it pretty much the same, only I get a little bit of a burn from it

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 1/8/13 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
She's tried most things (creams mainly, Veet, etc.) but her beard growth is now not far off mine. The creams caused a lot of red skin, irritation and (some) bleeding.... quite horrid. She now shaves with my razors, which are the supermarket double bladed (for advanced clogging) blue ones, with higher quality supermarket branded foam (hello Vera).
T66

posted on 1/8/13 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
My mixture of grey and ginger bum fluff shaves off no problem every other day. Don't need too every day thankfully.

If I go more than 3 days the stubble is solid and hurst scraping it off. Never shave in the morning as my face is too sensitive, always shave afternoons or nights.

I tried Movember and my god the itch was horrendous, shaved it off 3 weeks in at 3am. If I could take a pill to avoid shaving I would.

Gillette 4 bladed thing
Gel.

With an emergency (the boss is coming) electric jobby in my locker at work.

Mr Whippy

posted on 1/8/13 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Shaving is boring and makes your face feel cold in the wind especially in winter, most of the time I can't be bothered and the wife fancy's Wolferine so no worries

I'd like to grow a huge hairy biker beard but that might be pushing it with the missus

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
foskid

posted on 1/8/13 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
I have a vintage Rolls razor and a Wilkinsons quantum razor just for daily use, for lube I have used Johnson's Baby shampoo for years, it works great with no fuss, just a couple of drops and its gentle on the skin. Try it and its locost as well.

He knows nothing and thinks he knows everything. That points clearly to a political career.
George Bernard Shaw

alistairolsen

posted on 5/8/13 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Gillette gel and wilkinson sword quattro titanium razor, in the shower. Who needs a mirror?

My Build Thread

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.