olimarler

posted on 21/5/14 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Looks amazing!

Love the additional graphics!

Oh and the gaffer tape probably to keep the wing mirrors in Same position

Oli

Digimon

posted on 21/5/14 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Well done on passing your ARDS test, the car looks very impressive will be interesting to see how it compares to the Indy
Andy D

posted on 21/5/14 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Digimon
Well done on passing your ARDS test, the car looks very impressive will be interesting to see how it compares to the Indy

Night and day springs to mind?

yellowcab

posted on 21/5/14 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
For any LCBers that are looking for something to do on Sunday,

I've just booked & paid for my first race at Snetterton, here are the finals with the itinerary of the day.

You won't see my name as I'll be on the late entry list when they get re-published.

Olly #30

http://www.750mc.co.uk/news,snetterton-final-instructions-and-event-timetable-available_238.htm

DavidW

posted on 21/5/14 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab
For any LCBers that are looking for something to do on Sunday,

I've just booked & paid for my first race at Snetterton, here are the finals with the itinerary of the day.

You won't see my name as I'll be on the late entry list when they get re-published.

Olly #30

http://www.750mc.co.uk/news,snetterton-final-instructions-and-event-timetable-available_238.htm

I try and pop over to watch. If I do I'll come and say hello.

David

Digimon

posted on 21/5/14 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy D
Night and day springs to mind?

I just mean driving wise, the aero on this will make it such as different beast to compared to the Indy

I'd imagine a lot more speed and commitment in the corners?

yellowcab

posted on 21/5/14 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure the car is capable of more speed and commitment, it's the driver I'm concerned about lol
Andy D

posted on 21/5/14 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab
I'm sure the car is capable of more speed and commitment, it's the driver I'm concerned about lol

I'm fully expecting No 30 to be on pole. Anything less will be disappointing!

SCAR

posted on 23/5/14 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Congrats on buying a great GT3. Enjoying reading your progress to RACE CAR DRIVER and looking forward to seeing how you get on, keep posting.

[Edited on 23/5/14 by SCAR]

Dopdog

posted on 23/5/14 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Great thread and fantastic looking car, will follow this with interest
yellowcab

posted on 23/5/14 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies - I'm all packed up over near Mallory Park just about to get on my way to my first race weekend.

I'll document it here and now how I'm feeling, as I'm sure it'll be different the next time I update on Monday, I will have forgotten half of the jitters, nerves, butterflies and excitement...

Currently I am brimming with excitement at the prospect of actually competitively racing a car, something I've wanted to do since passing my test at the young age of 17… and now at the prime age of 30 I can't believe I'm about to do it.

Having looked at the weather forecast, it is forecast rain all day tomorrow in testing, with this being my first ever time driving the car, it's not exactly ideal, and makes me a little more apprehensive with not being able to know the cars dry limits…. until the race (as its forecast sunshine on the Sunday)

I'm most looking forward to sitting on the grid staring at the red lights waiting for them to go out - this will be quite a monumental moment for me personally. I've reached it…. But i'll probably stall it lol

I'll sign off now - as I'm about to make the journey, and kip in my car overnight in order to be bright and breezy for tomorrows test session.

Just as I've documented the journey so far - having passed the ARDS on Tuesday afternoon, sending off my licence application on Wednesday, the MSA called me and confirmed they had received it yesterday, and emailed me the cover note this afternoon (Friday) in order for me to enter the race - the MSA, and the 750 Motor Club have both been absolutely outstanding and incredibly helpful in my very strict last minute timescales.

Be sure to follow Live Timing results, but please don't look too hard haha

Take care all

Olly#30

SCAR

posted on 23/5/14 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Don't want to add to your apprehension but if the conditions are poor be very careful, are you aware of last years discussions about the use of the rgb class control tyre in the wet? There were a lot of opinions expressed on the rgb forum about its suitability for wet use which is worth a read.
Magic Beans

posted on 23/5/14 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Phil is more than welcome to carry it on, and get it up to 100k views

I've got my own thread to see over the 100k mark first Not far off now either (92k).

Glad you decided to create a thread for the Spire. Now let's fill it up with photos, videos, news and win celebrations, shall we

matt5964

posted on 23/5/14 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck, we are not far from rockingham so will prob pop over for that one.
Matt21

posted on 24/5/14 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
good luck

pretty impressive how quickly you've bought this and got into the racing!
something I'll be looking into myself once this wedding is out of the way!

Madinventions

posted on 25/5/14 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Massive congratulations for finishing your first race! 14th place, no damage and a warning for exceeding track limits is an almost perfect start to your racing career!

Mojo build diary: http://www.madinventions.co.uk

Solo music project: Syrrenfor http://www.reverbnation.com/syrrenfor

View my band website:
http://www.shadowlight.org.uk

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk/

Matt21

posted on 25/5/14 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
exceeding track limits? whats that all about? :S driving better than he should have been?!

im sure he will be along soon to tell us all about it

Andy D

posted on 25/5/14 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt21
exceeding track limits? whats that all about? :S driving better than he should have been?!

im sure he will be along soon to tell us all about it

I suspect he's been grass cutting at some point.

40inches

posted on 25/5/14 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Exceeding track limits!
"Fundamentally, a driver is required to use the track at all times. If any part of the car remains within the boundaries of the white lines, he is deemed to be using the track. If he has all four wheels over the white lines, he’s off the track."

Andy D

posted on 25/5/14 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
I was exceeding Knockhills limits on Friday too!

unijacko67

posted on 25/5/14 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Seriously well done mate !!!!!!!!

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
yellowcab

posted on 26/5/14 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Hey all,

What a weekend for me, all a bit of a blur but I've done it - I've competed in my first ever race… and more importantly I've had a go in my new car.

OK so I jumped into the deep end a little with going straight into testing with the big boys on the Saturday, but that was a purposeful choice as I couldn't have tested before hand with not having done my ARDS.

Friday 23rd May PM
First of all huge thanks to Paul & Tim @ Spire for lending me a trailer for the weekend
Got packed up on the Friday evening and got to Snetterton around 22:15 where I unpacked had a few drinks with a few other people and got my head down. 2 hours trying to get to sleep in drivers seat of my VW Golf, and getting cramp lead me to ditching everything out the back of the car in to the trailer, and sleeping in the back… which wasn't really any better.

Saturday 24th May AM - Testing
Thanks to Duncan for lending me some race boots for my first weekend, in order for me to be able to afford a test day, and Terry for all the help you gave me throughout Saturday
I woke up bright and early on the Saturday morning to it absolutely lashing it down, my first quandary of the day, do I go out having never driven the car before, it was torrential rain - over at signing on there was talk of not letting anyone go out until it brightens up - but this never materialised… it was on!

Completely under peer pressure and bended elbow from Terry, Tim Gray & John Cutmore, I grew some balls and got out there… it was awful, first test session in the rain spun twice but at least it broke the ice. Visor fogged up leaving me with no visibility, cracked it open a few mm, but then got water in my face… not ideal. JC was kind enough to hang around for me in the pits to slowly take me around the circuit, then Ben from Spire told JC to get out because I was just about to come onto the start finish straight where he could come out the pits ahead of me… but I spun it on the first corner - d'oh! So JC had to do another lap in order to get back in front of me to show me the way.

Having coming in from my first session, despite feeling pretty beaten up, I suppose things could only get better lol

Second test session much better, not raining anymore, but still alot of standing water, which I was told to be careful through… got around faster than the first time, and only spun once so that's 50% better in my opinion haha (every cloud and all that)… I just found that getting used to the car is very difficult in these conditions lol, didn't really get to feel the car much, couldn't stamp on brakes, couldn't turn in, could really accelerate to its full potential… but it did teach my that I need a new seat, as I have a horrid pressure point in the lower part of my back...

Saturday 24th May PM - Testing
Third test session in the dry much better, over lunch the track had pretty much dried out, albeit still quite greasy… still span off due to over exuberance but hey ho. Fastest lap was 2m 12s, lol Don't spose you've seen 12seconds lying around have you, as I need to find them lol Very slow, not as confident at mo, braking early and too much, but getting there.

Need stick shift ASAP, these paddles are shit, I kept getting major 'forearm pump' from constantly shifting up and down, and my fingers were killing, aching… and kept finding a false neutral in gear, due to fingers dying out on me and not pulling paddles hard enough

Final session of the day was cut short for me, driving around and I noticed my water temp was down at 20degrees, which I thought was strange, so only after 2 laps, I come into the pits where my oil pressure dropped right off to zero, and OIL came up on the digidash, killed the engine, waited for session to finish. Paul & Tim (from Spire) ran diagnostics on it, seems oil pressure did drop right off but it was because the engine & oil was so hot, and I had let the revs drop right off to idle fairly quickly, something I wasn't aware of that it's always best to keep revs high. Started car and have oil pressure so seems engine hasn't gone bang.

Saturday 24th May Evening
Everyone around the paddock was so friendly, everyone was asking how it went, and offering advice, telling tales, which was fantastic… such a great bunch of people.

Sunday 25th May AM
Up early, and Al Boulton very kindly took me under his wing for the morning by taking me over to sound testing, then onto signing on, and then had to go to my 'first drivers briefing' as I had never raced at that circuit before… came out straight into scrutineering, again, Al had his car done first then came back to assist me. Cheers Duncan for reminding me (twice, as I forgot the first time) that I needed £2.00 for them to approve my helmet and put a sticker on it.

The scrutineer asked me to put some cable ties around the fire extinguisher clips to prevent them popping undone, to which I did before my first outing - but other than that, sailed through with no problems, but it was good to watch over him to see what they check for

During scrutineering I had my friends turn up to help me throughout the day, so huge thanks to Chris (Proby), Kat (Mrs Proby), Mike (cosmick) & John, this instantly put me at ease, knowing they were there to help me, rather than me 'putting on' another racer, that had their own stuff to be doing.

Back to my paddock space, for a final check over before 15minute qualifying, so so nervous about this - especially considering my test day didn't exactly see me with any decent amount of dry seat time, but it was dry and sunny, a stark difference to the previous day… things can only get better… right? 2m 12s to beat… as that was my previous best.

Sunday 25th May - Qualifying

So we go out for a green flag lap, before qualifying begins, and everyone is weaving all over the shop, accelerating hard, and braking hard to get everything warmed up, so I joined in, felt like a real racing driver at this point, and not being accused of acting like a yob…. at the end of the green lap I think thats when we start to give it some welly, and go for our quickest time. Still trying to get used to the car hugely at this point, but all I could do was try my best.

Something that I noticed whilst driving around was my neck starting to ache because I didn't have enough padding behind my helmet, so I was having to hold my neck forwards, which got sorted later on thanks to Duncan for the padding

With Snetterton 300 being a 3mile circuit, and roughly a 2minute lap… a 15minute qualifying session only seen 6 laps for me, which wasn't really enough time to get to grips with things, but having glanced down at my dash I had seen that I did a 2:09.25 - fantastic I thought, I had made up 3 seconds in confidence… start to sit back, and relax in the car a little, and just take it slowly, and take in as much as I could. On the final lap of qualifying as the flag came out, I glanced down and thought I saw a 2:08.56… came in, and Duncan came over handed me the results with a 'well done mate'… I was right what I saw - I managed a 2:08.56 which made me start in:

Race 1 Fastest qual time of 2:08.56: 14th position out of 25 cars… 7th row on the grid out of 13 rows
Race 2 2nd fastest qual time of 2:09.25: 11th position out of 25 cars… 6th row on the grid out of 13 rows

Well chuffed - really happy that I had found 4 of the missing 12 seconds from testing into qualifying… After seeing the results Steve Malyon came over and said - please don't stall on the grid, as I'm directly behind you on both races lol… oh heck… famous last words!

Come in, clean up, fuel up, chain lube, bolt check, fluid check, and more clean clean cleaning.

Sunday 25th May - Race 1
I won't lie - I was more nervous than I had ever been (ARDS was a doddle now looking back lol), despite feeling I was rapidly getting used to the car, I was just about to compete in my first ever race (did I mention that?) I was petrified (did I mention that?)… I found I went toilet more times that morning than I did for the previous week in whole.

Onto the grid, out of the holding area, we line up (no green lap), I was told by everyone, especially Dave Watson to take no notice of the times on the boards that they hold up before the lights, as the 10minute board lasts for about 30seconds before they bring out the 1 minute board lol

Revs were high, as I was told, around 8krpm… red lights came on, lights went out - GO GO - STALL dammit - Just as Steve didn't want (sorry pal), I stalled on the grid… balls, smacked the restart button, got her started and off I went… from 14th on the grid, straight to the back of the pack, balls very sloppy driving from me having watched the video back, I won't lie, almost embarrassing to watch it back because I couldn't understand why I came off when I did… anyway… throughout the race I battled my way through the back with a very scary moment between Ed Scotney and I to which I got called up for, as all four wheels of my car were not on the track… oops… that happened on 3 (or 4) occasions… not my finest moments…

I managed to finish my race in 14th position, which I was happy with… but this was quickly tarnished by being asked to go and see the C of C, basically he took a very dim few of 'driving beyond limits' and basically a slap on the wrist, and said in my second race if it happens once, he wanted to see my licence… I drove back to the paddock with my tail firmly between my legs.

What made made it a little better was seeing my lap times… as I was keen to see if I was any fastest than in qualifying of 2:08.56… my Race 1 lap times were:

Lap 1: 2:26.66
Lap 2: 2:10.55
Lap 3: 2:12.11
Lap 4: 2:10.81
Lap 5: 2:12.04
Lap 6: 2:09.30
Lap 7: 2:06.52
Lap 8: 2:05.64

I was dead chuffed to be getting quicker as the laps when on, as my confidence in the brakes & car itself was building… from 2:12s in testing down to 2:05.64… I was happy

Sunday 25th May - Race 2
My nerves now were firmly at bay, I was comfortable that I could actually put in some decent times, and having only done around 20 laps in total, I was getting there…

Don't stall, don't stall, don't stall… we get on the grid straight from the holding area - again with no green flag lap… The red lights go out, I didn't stall - GO GO GO! Lost 1 position down the first straight to Steve Bells phenomenal start, but then managed to overtake someone else heading into the first corner - where unfortunately my gear cable snapped leaving my stuck in 2nd gear, where I had to retire from the race not even doing the first corner… balls - incredibly frustrating… but hey - thats racing apparently!

So there you have it peeps - first race weekend done and dusted… got no signatures on my upgrade card due to misdemeanours in the first race I got a 'withheld' and a DNF in the second race…

Now I hate paddles with even more of a passion, so this week is a change to a stick shift where hopefully I'll feel even more comfortable… oh, and roll on Rockingham on 5th July… between now and then I need to build a trailer, and get some more seat time!

Thanks for reading everybody, sorry for such a long report.

If I have failed to mention you personally in a way of thanks - please please forgive me… a lot was going on, it hasn't gone unnoticed… I thank everyone for making my weekend as easy as it was

[Edited on 26/5/14 by yellowcab]

yellowcab

posted on 26/5/14 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
For those on Facebook who want tot follow my instant updates as it's far easier to do on there… please 'Like / Share / Follow' my page:

https://www.facebook.com/emileoracing

Ben_Copeland

posted on 26/5/14 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Like and like!

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

yellowcab

posted on 26/5/14 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Ben - video of Race 1 is being uploaded now, but as above, not particularly happy with my sloppy driving, but I'm not going to beat myself up about it too much, its my first time after all.

GoPro fogged up half way through which has really annoyed the p!ss out of me, so next race will use the skeleton back.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.