Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2011 Spire GT-3 RGB Racer
Proby

posted on 12/6/14 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Nice work Olz, if you stop fannying around taking pictures you might get a bit more done.

Visit GraphicMonster

yellowcab

posted on 12/6/14 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry I am dragging my heals with things

No more pics from now on, until the next update!

Proby

posted on 12/6/14 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab
Sorry I am dragging my heals with things

No more pics from now on, until the next update!

Visit GraphicMonster

yellowcab

posted on 21/6/14 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
I've done loads since the last time I updated, and didn't take a single photograph! Go me!

[Edited on 21/6/14 by yellowcab]

rdodger

posted on 21/6/14 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
No pictures. No proof!

yellowcab

posted on 21/6/14 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
You best not be encouraging me to post the copious amounts of photographs showing the little progress I've made Dodge!
rdodger

posted on 21/6/14 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
You don't normally need encouragement!

Get them posted. You know you want too!

yellowcab

posted on 21/6/14 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Touché!

I bow to your wit!

yellowcab

posted on 21/6/14 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
So to continue with the trailer progress, Mike came up on Sunday to help and do the wiring for me - electrics scare the poop outta me!

Following on from last page, ramps were notched out to accommodate the extra overhang of the number plate board, they now latch in nicely, and don't go anywhere… and they there is plenty of clearance once they've dropped in between the drop down and the light cluster, thankfully

Before Mike came up I did all the drilling and prep so it was a case of wiring it up, and bolting it altogether, marker lights positioned as on trailer number 1, as it worked well last time

So on with the trailer itself, put together the Alko chassis again, connected the A frame to the axel, and worked out how much needed to be cut off - as, after all, the whole reason for this - is to be able to create a custom length trailer that'll fit inside the garage which is 5.31m long from door to end wall… it ended up as 5.1m long - with a 4m bed - well happy with that

Hitch weight calculated the same way as before, put car on the troughs on the trailer, with the scales beneath - we settled for around 58kg hitch weight so its easy to manoeuvre

Car on the bed, with it only strapped on - nothing bolted here, and the scales under the hitch

Take it all back off again once we'd marked where we wanted to bolt it all together, and make sure the caravan Alko chassis runs completely parallel

Mudguards on, same as before- just need some thin ally in order to make the inner mudguards to stop road dirt being flung over car whilst going along

So all done and dusted, now was time to figure out how to strap it down being full bodied… decided on C-bolts through the trough floors, without nuts on the top, so they fall through when not in use, and you can pull them up when you need them, so the car can roll over them when loading & unloading

Bits of wood sprayed silver as chocks, and obviously the C-bolt in front of the chock, is OK to stay 'up' at all times as the wheels do not pass over it

Test drive was successful - no bodywork on the car simply because putting it on, and taking it off is a two man job lol

rdodger

posted on 21/6/14 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Yay Pictures!

Well done Olly, it looks fantastic. Even better than the last one!

40inches

posted on 21/6/14 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Brilliant!
I love the way you think things out, the disappearing tie downs are genius
Not so long before the next update. OK?

yellowcab

posted on 21/6/14 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers dodge, thing is, I was over the moon with mk1... But there are always shortcuts or improvements with everytime you do one...

So mk2 went together faster, it's wider, longer, nice balance to it

MK3 will be better still

yellowcab

posted on 21/6/14 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
The disappearing tie downs were Mikes idea, totally not taking credit for that little gem.

So I have done bits to car, only a few tweaks... Looking forward to Rockingham in 2 weeks!

40inches

posted on 21/6/14 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
I hope I can get the MK back on the road before Rockingham, would be nice to go down in it rather than the tintop

yellowcab

posted on 22/6/14 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Today I have Phil coming down to hang out in the man-shack… Phil is the new owner of my Busa.

Was hoping he'd come down in it, so we could do a little photoshoot of the two of them, but its in bits whilst he's OCD-Cleaning it!

Thaddaboy!

40inches

posted on 23/6/14 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure about this Olly

There will be a lot of leverage on the bolt threads, it may be better to go with something like this: eBay or this type of spacer, modified: eBay
Of course it may be perfectly Ok and I am talking (writing!) borracks
I wonder if there may be a problem with the scrutineers?

rdodger

posted on 23/6/14 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
I missed that bit!

Bloody hell Olly! Get those shitty bits of tube back in the scrap bin where they belong and make/buy a proper spacer!

Digimon

posted on 23/6/14 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
Not sure about this Olly

There will be a lot of leverage on the bolt threads, it may be better to go with something like this: eBay or this type of spacer, modified: eBay
Of course it may be perfectly Ok and I am talking (writing!) borracks
I wonder if there may be a problem with the scrutineers?

I thought the same thing at the weekend I can't see the scrutineers liking that, the tubes might crush up and let the steering wheel twist because the bolts are loose?

Proby

posted on 23/6/14 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Those bits of tube are a temporary measure (You'll be glad to know) whilst a solid block/spacer is made. Prototyping I believe!!

(Olly said that without moving his lips too)

[Edited on 23/6/14 by Proby]

Visit GraphicMonster

yellowcab

posted on 30/6/14 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Firstly to let the folks know who are interested, the next race meeting is this weekend.

Details are:

Rockingham Speedway, Corby, Northamptonshire

Testing: Friday 4th - All day
Qualifying: Saturday 5th @ 11:20
Race 1: Saturday 5th @ 16:20
Race 2: Sunday 6th @ 15:40

So I stripped down the rear brakes, to have a look at the handbrake the didn't seem to work very well, to find these little cheese wedged beauties, it appears that the outer handbrake cable had melted in the past onto the inner, thus preventing the handbrake from releasing totally… (another excuse for being so sh*t at Snett lol)

Fresh pads delivered from Paul & Tim @ Spire Sport Cars the following day - fresh Mintex 1144 for the rears much more meat!

Inside the car looking tidy now, and stopped fannying around with it now, the antiroll bar adjustments you can see have been moved forward a good few inches, as they couldn't be seen whilst sat in the drivers seat with a helmet & HANs device on… as couldn't put chin to chest enough to see them they're now perfect

Back to trailer bits and bobs, same as old trailer, I made some inner arch guards to stop road crap being flung up the side of my car whilst being towed along

Chris (Proby) & Kathryn from GraphicMonster.co.uk has made me some custom visor vinyl sunstrips to go on my new tinted double glazed visor to stop it from steaming up in cold weather with the visor down

Phil (magicbeans) & Adrienne two other of my pit crew have also bought some team-wear

Front splitter freshened up again after Snett, and general driving around the paddock as it kept scraping along the floor lol

The wheel spacers on the Spire are no ideal, as they are the Halfords cheap universal jobbies that make it incredibly hard to get them bang central, so having so proper 4x100 PCD and 56.6 centre bore ones made

Car on the trailer full bodied, looks the part

Starting to deck out my trailer in preparation to make it fully enclosed, first off was to buy some 18mm WBP ply board, this large front section slides up from the back under the inside edges of the troughs, and sits on the A frame of the Alko chassis at the front

The centre pieces in between the ramps when stored, slide in last, all will be drilled, nut & bolted with M10 BZPs, just need to paint it in grey garage floor paint first, to make sure its waterproof & weather proof, including the drill holes, and edges to avoid any water ingress… I've walked up and down and 18mm is perfect with hardly any movement under foot

Oh - and my steering wheel spacer that I was having made will be with me tomorrow, to replace the brass spacers I had used to judge the distance of how far out I wanted the wheel

[Edited on 30/6/14 by yellowcab]

Magic Beans

posted on 1/7/14 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Ooo T shirts!
yellowcab

posted on 6/7/14 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Evening all,

Another exciting weekend for Me & the EmiLeo Racing Team, before I start to ramble - I'd like to say a huge thanks to everyone that made us feel yet again so welcome - nice to meet yet more new faces, chat to more new people, those that made us bacon rolls (Della Rogers & Tricia Malyon), those that put us up for two nights in his hotel Brian James Shuttle (Kelvin Rawles), we'd have been screwed without you!

With Snetterton being a good 6 weeks ago, it had been a busy six weeks of development along with building a trailer - obviously ditching the paddle shift in favour of a stick shift was something I was quite keen on trying out.

I don't regret doing Snett, despite being a rabbit caught in the headlights, as it got all my 'first race nerves' out the way, leaving me to do nothing but enjoy, and look forward to racing at Rockingham… to which we did!

Thursday 3rd July PM
Another big thanks to Chris for taking time of work to come and support me on the Friday, on our way over to Rockingham the Golf got a puncture whilst towing, so had to pull over and pump the wheel up, thankfully we had a car full of kit so wasn't too much of an issue…

Arrived at Rockingham around 8pm, greeted by Paul Rogers and we pitched up next to him, all looking forward to sleeping in the back of Marc Nordons race truck… until we found out it had broken down and wasn't going to be at the race meeting - ooops!

Thankfully I had bought Jasons' gazebo so we set that up that evening, got the car unloaded, and slept on the carpark floor inside the gazebo with the car lol not a terrific night sleep due to the strong winds, and the gazebo almost taking off during the night lol

Friday 4th July AM - Testing
So up we get bright and breezy, having had around 3 hours sleep - our first test session we were out at 0900, so we went for sound testing, all good at 99dBs, and went to sign on…

0900 session, was ready to test my new gear stick, until the first corner where the extension snapped coming out of the gearbox, leaving me stuck in 2nd gear, again, so I coasted around the whole track back to the pits, where (once again) Tim Gray & Paul Nightingale came to the rescue and welded it back together for me whilst the session was still out - enabling me to get out for the second session at 1030 - thanks chaps.

1030 session, I went out tentatively, treating my new gear shift set-up with some respect and just finding the car again, having not driven it since Snett, still a little loose on the rear, a little oversteery, but I think I can 'deal' with that for now, steel seemed to the putting in 1:38s laps

1200 session, this session was a complete write-off due to the number of red flags out - we only manage a single lap in the whole half hour slot

1430 session, a little more confidence came putting in some 1:36.5 laps, however when we came in the front passenger calliper was binding/ stuck on - so we had a couple of hours to strip it down, remove the pads & clean up the outside of the pistons, to make them glide again - we thought we'd cracked it

1600 session, final session of the day - started to find my balls (that haven't physically been cut off for those that are wondering after seeing the lovely sticker - thanks Paul & Duncan…) I was flat through corner 1 in 6th gear which is something I'd been aiming to do, and having looked at my telemetry data, yep, I managed a 133mph top speed which I knew was a decent rate of knots from what I'd heard around the paddock… and ending the day on a 1:35.8s

Saturday 5th July AM - Qualifying
Saturday morning it was raining, from getting up at 0730am, through to about 10:00… our qualifying was at 11:20, the track had dried out by this time… so any little mental notes I had picked up on to change on the car incase we were in the wet, were kinda irrelevant…

Went out for qualifying, and my fastest lap of the session was 1:36.18s putting me 8th on the grid (4th row on the outside near the wall) for Race 1, and my second fastest lap time was 1:36.54 putting my 9th on the grid (5th row on the inside) for Race 2

Chuffed much - very happy with those grid positions… now… now… just don't bloody stall it.

Spotted that Richard Wise was starting immediately behind me on the grid, so I went and let him know that I'm not brilliant at starts, from previous experience (Snett) and I may well stall it, lol

Saturday 5th July PM - Race 1
So here we are sports fans, the moment of truth - we line up on the grid… I had ditched the Snett memory out of my head and just put it down to nerves, so decided to reset my mentality and just try my best…

Managed to get a stonking start from 8th right up to 4 position benign Matt Higginson, Al Boulton & John Cutmore… WTactualF… this isn't right… but unfortunately due to being on the outside, corner 2 was a left hander meaning I wasn't on the best part of the circuit to hold any kinda position, so Scott Mittell came up the inside, as did Paul Rogers to claim back his space, Duncan Horlor was on the inside of Paul, and David Wale was on behind Duncan, all on the inside of me, so by turn two I was back to position 8 where I started, but I thoroughly enjoyed being 4th for the 7 seconds it lasted

Screen grab time:

The race was good, I lost a position to Colin Chapman who was on my tail from the outside, and managed to defend of a good 6 laps before he nipped me at Piff-Paff… and then he held the position, which put me in 9th… but then Duncan ran out of fuel, and unfortunately Paul Rogers who was also ahead of me had a DNF, which put me up at 7th after a red flag close to the race due to Rob Gardener setting on fire!

Thrilled with my 7th place, very very happy… however always the self ciritic, I was annoyed that my best lap time were down to 1:37.04s… after sitting in Parc Ferme for 15 minutes and getting back to the garages, my tyre pressures were still at 26psi - shiiiiiiiiit too much man! Possibly explains the lack of pace in race.

Hey ho - so we have 23 hours before our next race on Sunday at 15:40...

Sunday 6th July PM - Race 2
I'll fast forward as not a lot happened during the early part of Sunday for us - but to the race… as we hadn't been out on the circuit that day - we have a green flag lap (my first) so we line up on the grid, wait for everything to be ready, then a green flag is waved for us to warm up our brakes/ tyres/ generally feel what the track conditions are like as they could possibly had changed from the previous day… the flag got waved annnnnnnnnddddd I stalled it doh! But again, rather now, than on the race itself, again, I didn't let it bother me - just cracked on…

So then, the sirens go, I'm now a row back on row 5, on the inside for turn 1 and 2… in 9th position, 'come on Olz' I was saying, the red lights are on, they go out - GO GO GO… another cracking starting putting me up past Paul Rogers on the inside who was in front of me, I'm now in 5th - AND on the inside line - yes, get in…. but then Colin Chapman is closing the door, the novice in me tells me to ease off and let him in - you can hear this on the video… but something told me to keep my foot in… I was 5th heading into turn two, but then David Wale in the yellow Spire gets his nose on the inside meaning I had to run slightly on the outside of him, but managed to get the power down that little bit faster giving me a better exit and run up to turn three….. where it all went horribly wrong… lol hey ho, I got excited and slammed on the power too aggressively - not gonna deny that I wasn't excited to be in among the big-dogs lol

Turn two…

Turn three…

So there we have it peeps:
I started Race 1 in 8th position, got up to 4th, and ended in 7th position
I started Race 2, in 9th position, I got up to 5th, and ended in 9th position.

Oh - and to top off already a brilliant weekend, at the Award Presentation, I was awarded the 'Driver of the day' for Saturday

Really thrilling weekend, great times, great weather, great experience - I'm kinda liking this racing lark - its great social thing too.

Thanks to my EmiLeo Racing pit crew - Chris Poole, Phil Grieve, Adrienne Turner & Dave Binns, with an additional hand from Luke Burgess

If I have failed to mention you personally in a way of thanks - please forgive me… a lot was going on, it hasn't gone unnoticed… I thank everyone for making my weekend as easy as it was

Andy D

posted on 6/7/14 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Well done matey! I saw the results earlier today, and guessed you'd had a good day.

Get the vids up.

INDY BIRD

posted on 6/7/14 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
great race there and i was there and saw you first race start it was a stonker of a start the best on the grid,

and was keeping eye on your times from the stands and yes i think you held them off well and got some great lines into the first corner as you say which is very quick,

great racing and car looked very well,

good job and glad your having fun,

sean

carpmart

posted on 7/7/14 at 06:33 AM Reply With Quote
Think what you could have done if you had more sleep!

Well done, good results for a rooke!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

<<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.